Strobist Lighting Kit help ?

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 15:07
Hello All,

As an amateur photographer, I am very intrigued about Strobist Lighting simply because of its cost and flexibility as compared to studio equipment( not that I know too much about it otherwise). Can anyone give me any information on this please. I am looking to build a kit to take along for my shoots. Looking for a kit like this one - linklink

I'd like to know what sort of flash I can use, triggers, costs etc.

Any help is much appritiated.

Thanks,

Karthik
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 15:24
I forgot to mention - I have a Pentax KM and as of now have a Metz 36AF flash. Was lookihg at some Vivitar 285 for the kit but seems to be quite expensive in the UK ?

Thanks,

Karthik
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

Anvh

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 16:32
Cactus v4 use cheaper batteries AAA for the receiver which drains the fastest and I like the styling better since it's less high.

Instead of the Vivitar 285, you can look at the Yongnuo YN460-II or the newer and power-fuller Yongnuo YN-560. These are probably the cheapest new flashes you can buy with the such power levels.

For the stands I got Lumopro since the reviews were favourable against the Manfrotto ones while costing less, they are only hard to get in the UK. Couldn't found a shop so fast

As for the umbrella's get the 2in1 type, these are basically shoot-through umbrellas with a cover to make them a normal white umbrella's
White indeed bounce less light as silver but, the shoot through is better since you can place the light source (the umbrella in this case) closer to the subject.
I believe the guy on the strobist blog wrote an article about that.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 17:27
Thanks guys .... looking at the suggested equips rite now.

Regards,

Karthik
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 17:47
How about these equipments please -

Light stands - link
Flashgun - link
Umbrella - link

Gareth, I am still hunting for this guy on Flickr Strobist community. Do you have his name ? or a link or anything please.

Cheers,

Karthik
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 17:49
link another umbrella
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

Anvh

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 19:39
Here is the link to the strobist site that I meant link

Yes that's the flash, it's only just out and as far as I know no members here have it so you must search the net for some user feedbacks and reviews.

edit: oops I mean this link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 07/07/2010 - 19:42

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 20:02
You guys are SuperStars !!!

Cheers !!
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 20:04
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Hope you read this in time !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-SB-26-Flash-Excellent-Condition-Looks-New-/280528232...

Nikon SB26 - 10 mins to go - currently 26

well recommended for strobists

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/for-few-dollars-more-nikon-sb-26.html

Just missed the Bid ...Dam
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 20:57
Anvh wrote:
Cactus v4 use cheaper batteries AAA for the receiver which drains the fastest and I like the styling better since it's less high.

Instead of the Vivitar 285, you can look at the Yongnuo YN460-II or the newer and power-fuller Yongnuo YN-560. These are probably the cheapest new flashes you can buy with the such power levels.

For the stands I got Lumopro since the reviews were favourable against the Manfrotto ones while costing less, they are only hard to get in the UK. Couldn't found a shop so fast

As for the umbrella's get the 2in1 type, these are basically shoot-through umbrellas with a cover to make them a normal white umbrella's
White indeed bounce less light as silver but, the shoot through is better since you can place the light source (the umbrella in this case) closer to the subject.
I believe the guy on the strobist blog wrote an article about that.

Stefan, cant find the Cactus V2 or V4 on ebay ... is this one any good ? - link

What should I be looking for in a Trigger while buying ?
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

Anvh

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 21:09
I actually doubt you can get the V4 on ebay since they are mostly sold in stores.

Here is the official site
V4 link
V2 link

The thing to watch out for with the cheap ones are miss-fires, that happen when the receiver doesn't see the signal to fire and doesn't fire the flash.
If you get the more expensive ones you get more range and better build quality and other features but those aren't really needed.

I've the Cactus V4 and they have never miss-fired once with me and some members here have the V2 and i haven't hear them complain about it.

The only problem with the V4 is that the Pentax AF540 doesn't like it, the flash doesn't sync well with the receiver.
It's just that combination because in the store we tried various off flashes without any problems.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

karthikv82

Link Posted 08/07/2010 - 10:05
Thanks guys. I have just ordered the Cactus V4, two stands off Amazon for 19, and two holders/ mounts.

Looking for the right umbrellas and flash. I have a Metz 36 so will experiment with that first and might juts have to buy one more - May be the YN460-II that Stephan suggested.

Many thanks,

Karthik
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 08/07/2010 - 11:09
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Which Metz 36 does you have? The later 36-AF4 or the 36 C-2 ?
According the the Metz site the 36-AF4 doesn't have manual outputs so on a wireless trigger I think it'll be firing at full power and that may be a little OTT for some situations.

Look on Ebay for any flashgun, make doesn't matter as its not going on the hotshoe and TTL isn't needed. Only the ability to have manual flash outputs and maybe a PC socket on it is all that is needed. Of course a powerful gun with a high GN is nice but it all depends on what your shooting etc

The umberellas you linked look good

I have the Metz AF so your right I do not have the output.

What size umbrella do I go for - 33", 40" ?

Thanks Gareth
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

karthikv82

Link Posted 08/07/2010 - 11:35
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Personal preferance - how mush space have you got and how 'mobile' so you want it Its down to you really

Thanks I'll probably go for the 33"
Karthik
www.kvflick.com

Anvh

Link Posted 10/07/2010 - 11:56
karthikv82 wrote:
May be the YN460-II that Stephan suggested.

THere is some user feedback on that flash on flickr, for the money it certainly isn't a bad flash there is only some inconstancy with the flash power compared to the controls.

The difference between 1/2 and full for example is only very little and not what it should be.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 10/07/2010 - 11:56
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.