Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Still having trouble logging into Pentax user website...why?

bretbysteve
Posted 20/06/2008 - 14:22 Link
Hi,

Over the last 4 weeks I have failed to get on here several times. The norton blocked the site saying it was a dubious site.

Yesterday the site was completely down and this time, the microsoft phishing filter took a dislike to this site and took ages to let it through. It seems to have an issue with the ephotozine ads.

what gives?

cheers Steve.M.
Bellie
Posted 20/06/2008 - 14:52 Link
I've just logged onto the site to find one of those 'dodgy' click through adverts at the top of the forum page instead of the usual types. I understand they are google adverts in this section, so if by mistake the wrong type of adverts are being generated on the page I could easily see why your filter is pulling it up as a dodgy site.
bretbysteve
Posted 20/06/2008 - 17:32 Link
Hi,

In 3 years of using this site, I have only has issues in the last month. If these ads are new, or now different in some way, maybe the site mgr, should consider changing them, especially if users are having problems? could a moderator respond please with help or possible explanation?

cheers Steve.M.
johnriley
Posted 20/06/2008 - 18:55 Link
I'm not experiemcing the problems you describe, but I will take it up with Admin on Monday.

You should be able to set this site as a friendly one in your AntVirus software, which is also where you can block pop-ups. Windows also has features that will do this.

When things like this happen it's often because something has been changed inadvertantly, maybe some new software loaded, maybe a setting has been activated. Have you run a virus scan? How about an automatic update that has changed something?

Hope that helps.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 20/06/2008 - 21:34 Link
bretbysteve wrote:
Hi,

Over the last 4 weeks I have failed to get on here several times. The norton blocked the site saying it was a dubious site.

Yesterday the site was completely down and this time, the microsoft phishing filter took a dislike to this site and took ages to let it through. It seems to have an issue with the ephotozine ads.

what gives?

cheers Steve.M.

A prominent dating website banner is here an awful lot, perhaps that my triggering your problem.

My daughter was blocked by Norton from using the BBC's CBBC web site, a thorough search of the Beeb's site revealed that the offending word was 'puberty'.

I've found that the 'PM' alerts from this site get chucked in the spam bin for some reason.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Gwyn
Posted 21/06/2008 - 08:18 Link
Have you updated Norton? Which version are you running?
I used to use Norton but it became such a pain in the proverbial that I got rid of it, in spite of having a nearly a years subscription still to run.
I use AVG now, free and no problems.
Mac
Posted 21/06/2008 - 11:43 Link
Yea AVG! Boo Norton!

I've also made the switch with money left on the meter.
Mac from Montreal

SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
George Lazarette
Posted 21/06/2008 - 14:54 Link
gartmore wrote:
I've found that the 'PM' alerts from this site get chucked in the spam bin for some reason.

I'm all for binning the PM.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnriley
Posted 21/06/2008 - 14:56 Link
There's a cryptic comment....
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 21/06/2008 - 15:04 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
gartmore wrote:

I'm all for binning the PM.
G

Probably be binned in '42 days'
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
terje-l
Posted 21/06/2008 - 22:47 Link
For your info, John, I have not had any problems logging on to this site since I joined. The only advertising appearing on top is a highly relevant photo advert, and I can live with that.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
johnriley
Posted 21/06/2008 - 23:00 Link
Thanks for that Terry.

I was upgrading Norton on a PC today and noticed that it can potentially block cookies, although it described tracking cookies as "low risk". I don't know if that's helpful or not but it could point to over-zealous anti-virus software being a potential problem.
Best regards, John
gartmore
Posted 21/06/2008 - 23:08 Link
terje-l wrote:
For your info, John, I have not had any problems logging on to this site since I joined. The only advertising appearing on top is a highly relevant photo advert, and I can live with that.

I have a gay dating search web site showing right now, where the 'ads by google' banner was and has been for quite some time - presumably these things are random and we dont all get the same messages at the same time
Ken
Gwyn
Posted 22/06/2008 - 08:26 Link
How odd Gartmore. I get a nice selection of semi relevant ads, in Dutch what is more! Oh, just noticed that when I type a reply they are in English for some reason.
Hyram
Posted 22/06/2008 - 08:31 Link
gartmore wrote:
terje-l wrote:

I have a gay dating search web site showing right now, where the 'ads by google' banner was and has been for quite some time - presumably these things are random and we dont all get the same messages at the same time

I have seen that as well, just once in the past few days. But now it is back to the normal ads. (thankfully)
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.