Sticking power switch on K20D
Posted 22/10/2010 - 01:17
Link
My K20D switch is starting to suffer the same. But only on the Live View spring loaded section. When I switch to live view it doesn't return to teh on position immediately.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 22/10/2010 - 09:03
Link
wahing liquid and warm water and cotton buds.
Posted 24/10/2010 - 23:33
Link
Thanks for the replies.
May try warm water and cotton buds but not sure about washing up liquid, does it not have salt in it or something like that? Would it do damage?
I had a feeling I read about someone using electrical contact cleaner (whatever that is?) but can't find it anywhere, the answer, not the cleaner.
Was out tonight and it was stiffer than ever... ( no jokes please :blush
May try warm water and cotton buds but not sure about washing up liquid, does it not have salt in it or something like that? Would it do damage?
I had a feeling I read about someone using electrical contact cleaner (whatever that is?) but can't find it anywhere, the answer, not the cleaner.
Was out tonight and it was stiffer than ever... ( no jokes please :blush
Cheers
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Posted 25/10/2010 - 00:16
Link
Posted 25/10/2010 - 12:30
Link
Personally I'd steer clear of contact cleaner. It is designed to remove oxidization and gunge from electrical contacts (uncannily) and is going to be a bit fierce.
Posted 01/11/2010 - 13:40
Link
Oggy wrote:
Personally I'd steer clear of contact cleaner. It is designed to remove oxidization and gunge from electrical contacts (uncannily) and is going to be a bit fierce.
Sir, I had a similar problem with my K20D u/warranty. Unfortunately I bought it at B&H in New York and now i am in Bangalore. Being a Master Mechanic and an electronic DIY, I tried some WD-40. And it worked. But please DO NOT spray it out of the can. Spray some onto a clean wine glass. Remove the battery. Dip a wooden tooth pick and apply it around the switch (approx 2 drops). Turn the switch of and on. Repeat if necessary, but do not use more than (4 drops). Wipe clean with tissue.
Personally I'd steer clear of contact cleaner. It is designed to remove oxidization and gunge from electrical contacts (uncannily) and is going to be a bit fierce.
Posted 01/11/2010 - 20:51
Link
Wd-40 is not something I'd recommend. IT'll only kludge up with more crap again and possible make things worse the next time
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 01/11/2010 - 21:08
Link
If it's plastic against plastic polishing with Mr Sheen could work.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 01/11/2010 - 22:41
Link
Scared to try anything now!
It's not happening all the time, which is confusing me even more!
Will keep an eye on it... Thanks for all the advice.
It's not happening all the time, which is confusing me even more!
Will keep an eye on it... Thanks for all the advice.
Cheers
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Posted 02/11/2010 - 17:05
Link
Sir, please do not be afraid to use WD-40 as I said earlier. I have tried it on my K20D for a similar problem as yours and it worked just great. WD-40 is also good on electrical contacts and actually cleans gunk.
Remove the battery. Apply (2) drops with a tooth pick - do not spray directly from can. Turn the camera upside down and operate the switch a few times. Repeat once more if necessary. Clean with tissue.
WD-40 dries fast leaving almost no trace.
Remove the battery. Apply (2) drops with a tooth pick - do not spray directly from can. Turn the camera upside down and operate the switch a few times. Repeat once more if necessary. Clean with tissue.
WD-40 dries fast leaving almost no trace.
Posted 02/11/2010 - 18:28
Link
Another vote against WD40. It dissolves some plastics and adhesives, attracts dirt and is very pervasive.
Posted 02/11/2010 - 18:57
Link
The plastic named are Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene for the rest it seems pretty safe.
But indeed be careful with what type of product you use on rubber and plastics some don't go well together and there is a clear difference between natural rubber and synthetic.
Luke water with soap like suggested is harmless, the soap only makes a bond with grease so that should clean things up.
But indeed be careful with what type of product you use on rubber and plastics some don't go well together and there is a clear difference between natural rubber and synthetic.
Luke water with soap like suggested is harmless, the soap only makes a bond with grease so that should clean things up.
Posted 02/11/2010 - 19:20
Link
nanhi wrote:
Sir, please do not be afraid to use WD-40 as I said earlier. I have tried it on my K20D for a similar problem as yours and it worked just great. WD-40 is also good on electrical contacts and actually cleans gunk.
Remove the battery. Apply (2) drops with a tooth pick - do not spray directly from can. Turn the camera upside down and operate the switch a few times. Repeat once more if necessary. Clean with tissue.
WD-40 dries fast leaving almost no trace.
WD-40 leaves an oily residue which attracts more dirt. It's not good for electrical contacts for the same reason.Sir, please do not be afraid to use WD-40 as I said earlier. I have tried it on my K20D for a similar problem as yours and it worked just great. WD-40 is also good on electrical contacts and actually cleans gunk.
Remove the battery. Apply (2) drops with a tooth pick - do not spray directly from can. Turn the camera upside down and operate the switch a few times. Repeat once more if necessary. Clean with tissue.
WD-40 dries fast leaving almost no trace.
It may have fixed your problem in the short term, but long term you've likely made things worse.
I used to repair electronic music gear, amps, mixers, synths, etc for a living and I've seen no end of pots and switches gunked up by people spraying them with unsuitable fluids.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 02/11/2010 - 19:29
Link
I used Foam Cleaner from RS/Farnell to clean the sticking zoom switch on my girlfriends Panasonic Compact when that became sticky (Beer at a gig!!)
I sprayed a liberal amount onto the offending device (battery removed) operated the switch several times and then dryed using a can of compressed air.
The camera has gone to see Appocalypitica tonight and I'm stuck at work!
Cheers
MZ
I sprayed a liberal amount onto the offending device (battery removed) operated the switch several times and then dryed using a can of compressed air.
The camera has gone to see Appocalypitica tonight and I'm stuck at work!
Cheers
MZ
K5, K7, Nikon FA.
AF Lenses: DA15mm Ltd, DA21mm Limited, DA35mmAL, DA50mm f1.8, DA18-55mmWR, FA28-70mm f4AL, DA50-200mmWR,Tamron SP70-200mm f2.8, AF70-300mm LD Di, SP10-24mm, SP90mm Macro.
MF Lenses: SMC-A 50mm, Adaptall 24mm(CW-24), 135mm(03B), 35-70mm(17A) 80-210mm(03A), Micro-Nikkor55mm, Soligor I-S 200mm f2.8 AIS
My Flickr - link
My Photobucket - link
AF Lenses: DA15mm Ltd, DA21mm Limited, DA35mmAL, DA50mm f1.8, DA18-55mmWR, FA28-70mm f4AL, DA50-200mmWR,Tamron SP70-200mm f2.8, AF70-300mm LD Di, SP10-24mm, SP90mm Macro.
MF Lenses: SMC-A 50mm, Adaptall 24mm(CW-24), 135mm(03B), 35-70mm(17A) 80-210mm(03A), Micro-Nikkor55mm, Soligor I-S 200mm f2.8 AIS
My Flickr - link
My Photobucket - link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



375 posts
18 years
Scotland
My K20D has started to get a really stiff on/off power switch.
I'm sure I've read somewhere what to do to solve it, but have no help with any of the forums or google search functions.
It is really tough to switch on at times, yet other times, on the same day even, it is no problem.
Don't want to force it too much.
Anyone had similar issues and/or a remedy.
Thanks in advance.
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR