K-7 DOF Preview

malvern_man
Posted 01/11/2010 - 22:25 Link
Hi,

Just a quick question, On my Samsung GX-10 when I move the on/off switch over to check the DOF there is an audible 'click' from inside the camera.

When I do the same on my K-7 in optical preview it is silent.

I was just wondering if the K-7's DOF preview is 'silent'.

Regards, Chris.
Pentaxophile
Posted 01/11/2010 - 23:21 Link
It is a lot quieter.

'Course if the aperture is wide open, it really will be silent!
malvern_man
Posted 02/11/2010 - 22:22 Link
Thank you.

Regards, Chris.
Algernon
Posted 03/11/2010 - 09:22 Link
DOF preview was the biggest joke ever..... most people
can't even see the bit that's in focus without a split
screen viewfinder.... so how can they see where it's
going in and out of focus
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Pentaxophile
Posted 03/11/2010 - 15:29 Link
Erm, I find dof preview a great feature, and often use it to quickly check depth of field.
Anvh
Posted 03/11/2010 - 15:56 Link
I've used it with some landscapes shot and macro, it isn't perfect i agree but you've at least an indication.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
amilner
Posted 03/11/2010 - 19:42 Link
I find it useful not so much for checking what is in focus but for seeing how much I can stop down (e.g. for reasonable DOF on a macro subject) and still keep the background reasonably out of focus.
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org
www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
Algernon
Posted 03/11/2010 - 20:08 Link
I am amazed considering the number of people who claim that
they can't see when it's in focus wide open. I was referring
more to the optical viewfinder rather than Live View. With
the lens stopped down to say f/11 it's very difficult to
see anything
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Anvh
Posted 03/11/2010 - 20:26 Link
I focus manually without any aid most of the time or else i use AF and i know i ain't an exception, there are more that focus that manual focus that way.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Algernon
Posted 03/11/2010 - 20:48 Link
I've always focussed manually and used to use 6x6 cameras that had no focus aids or DOF previews. I've also focused 5x4 views cameras and enlargers manually I can see when it's in focus, but couldn't pick points where it was only partly in focus
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Anvh
Posted 03/11/2010 - 21:40 Link
Algernon wrote:
but couldn't pick points where it was only partly in focus
I agree with you on that but the DOF preview does give you an indication though, at least better then nothing.

If i want make a wiseass comment, only the the focus point is in focus and the rest only partly but because they aren't out of focus enough they look sharp
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 03/11/2010 - 21:41

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo