K-3 and 12-24mm

Comment Image
Stavros S Niarchos by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Stridey
Posted 01/07/2014 - 09:56 Link
Superb shot, Alan. Shows off the detail so well.

Regards
Nigel

PS : on which mast do I find the kingfisher ?
fritzthedog
Posted 01/07/2014 - 18:31 Link
Wow - that is an impressive craft and great shot

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Algernon
Posted 01/07/2014 - 19:01 Link
Very nicely captured shot. The ropes in the reduced size pic look OK, very often they can suffer from the jaggies.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
McGregNi
Posted 01/07/2014 - 19:28 Link
Love it! I especially appreciate the warm sky tones, but good clean whites on the ship at the same time. Exposure balance is excellent too - is the ships body tonal level set entirely from shadow lifting Alan? I imagine pulling down the sky too much would be problematic due to the masts ropes.

Lovely positioning as well with the two high background objects on either side. I would suggest a tiny contrast boost, less so on the sky, just to 'firm up' the slightly hazy mids.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Blythman
Posted 01/07/2014 - 23:19 Link
Thanks for feedback guys. Went out for poppies. Didn't get much as they've mostly gone to seed. Just happened to have a look down the beach, and the quayside on the way home. Pleased I did

Hi Nigel

In Lightroom

Crop. To get the separation from the structure on the other bank, I had to take the picture from further away than I wanted to.

Correct verticals. Then re-compose the crop.

Start with the base exposure. Select a neutral point on the ship to set the white balance. Lift the shadows generally. Add contrast

Add a grad filter on the sky, reduce the exposure, warm up the sky, lift the shadows

Then little tweaks to all of the above until happy
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.