Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Standard lens advice

bforbes
Posted 08/05/2014 - 09:50 Link
Russ wrote:

Pentax DA17-70 SDM - This really appeals too. Pentax glass and coatings. Only negative is the SDM. Should be a plus but after reading reviews and Googling, i stumbled upon so many disgruntled owners cursing SDM. But i think someone once told me Pentax fix it for approx £100 and fit an improved SDM to boot. Is that right?

The SDM motor never actually failed on mine, it just was slow when you first started to use the lens.
The frustrating part was the hit and miss focusing. Sometimes even in good light it would not lock onto focus unless you had a large defined contrast. For instance brick walls would be a no no.
Russ
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:06 Link
JohnX wrote:

How many reviews have you read stating that SDM is ok? Here's one - it's ok! Most people with problems bleat about it; most without stay quiet!

That is the age old problem isn't it, people only usually have something to say when it goes wrong. But there were a lot of happy people too. The DA17-70 is still in there with a shout but it would have to be a secondhand example as £450 is just too much for me.

And you are right, there were people complaining about the Sigma and Tamron systems as well. Well, all except the new Sigma 17-70, but that maybe because its still too new for reports of failures to filter through.
Russ
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:21 Link
There's something that baffles me with the new Sigma 17-70. It's £329 new and that's regardless of which brand camera you are buying it for. But the version of the lens for the other brands includes Sigma's rather good OS system but the Pentax version has been stripped of the OS (i know we have SR, technically i should too). So how come we still have to pay £329? Surely it should be £50 cheaper. This is not a dig at just Sigma, Tamron do it too.
Edited by Russ: 08/05/2014 - 10:23
bforbes
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:24 Link
You have to pay for a different production line/method
JohnX
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:25 Link
Russ wrote:
JohnX wrote:

How many reviews have you read stating that SDM is ok? Here's one - it's ok! Most people with problems bleat about it; most without stay quiet!

That is the age old problem isn't it, people only usually have something to say when it goes wrong. But there were a lot of happy people too. The DA17-70 is still in there with a shout but it would have to be a secondhand example as £450 is just too much for me.

And you are right, there were people complaining about the Sigma and Tamron systems as well. Well, all except the new Sigma 17-70, but that maybe because its still too new for reports of failures to filter through.

I used to find buying the right h-fi equipment was a difficult process until one of my then work colleagues introduced me to the best decision making process I've ever come across.

Go to the pub, have much alcohol, go to the shop, buy whatever then seems right!

Works every time! Used it ever since

Might also explain why I have so much expensive and underused stuff at home, but there we go.
Edited by JohnX: 08/05/2014 - 10:26
JohnX
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:27 Link
bforbes wrote:

Applies to non and low alcohol beer too.
bforbes
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:30 Link
JohnX wrote:
bforbes wrote:

But those would not help you with your decision making process
dougf8
Posted 08/05/2014 - 10:47 Link
bforbes wrote:
JohnX wrote:
Quote:

But those would not help you with your decision making process

Bitburger zero! (by post from Adnams). The closest and least worst option. The rest are sugary, unrefreshing and lack hops.

Tamron 17-50mm and with the change a DA35 f2.4 (2nd hand of course)
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 08/05/2014 - 10:49
Russ
Posted 08/05/2014 - 11:10 Link
JohnX wrote:
Russ wrote:
Quote:

I used to find buying the right h-fi equipment was a difficult process until one of my then work colleagues introduced me to the best decision making process I've ever come across.

Go to the pub, have much alcohol, go to the shop, buy whatever then seems right!

Works every time! Used it ever since

Might also explain why I have so much expensive and underused stuff at home, but there we go.

Russ
Posted 08/05/2014 - 12:30 Link
bforbes wrote:

Fair enough, i won't moan about Sigma/Tamron ripping us off.
cabstar
Posted 08/05/2014 - 12:44 Link
Could explain why third party makers are dropping Pentax mount for their new lenses, I see Sigma are not doing a Pentax version of the new 50mm art lens so at that rate you won't need to complain about rip off prices but rather why are they not producing Pentax mounts lenses...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Russ
Posted 08/05/2014 - 13:15 Link
In a way you can see their thinking, the Pentax customer base is incredibly tiny compared to the other brands. Obviously don't feel they would get their development money back. Real shame. I've been waiting for Tamron to release their SP 70-300 VC with Pentax mount, the best consumer **-300mm on the market. But they seem happy to leave us with the low rent A17.
tomh1982
Posted 08/05/2014 - 13:18 Link
I have the Pentax 17-70mm f4 & have always thought its a great lens. Nice & sharp with reasonably good range of focal length. Not had any amd issues either. Gets my vote!
johnha
Posted 09/05/2014 - 00:43 Link
I have the Pentax DA17-70/4 and haven't had any problems. As a standard/travel lens it's just about wide/fast/long enough - but I might consider an 18-135 today - mainly for the WR.

I haven't used any of the lenses with the DC motor, but when I bought the 17-70 the SDM felt like a huge improvement over the screw-drive zooms I've used before.
dpm
Posted 09/05/2014 - 07:49 Link
I'm gonna throw something else into the mix. If you liked the 18-125 Sigma, what about the new 18-200 C? £269 @ SRS. I've a 18-125 myself and sadly it's starting to show a bit of fungus; I'm sorely tempted by this new Contemporary lens.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.