SRS event

RobL

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 08:07
I would like to add my thanks to the SRS team, a grand day out! Would they also pass on our appreciation to the President who made a special trip into rainy England and back, it’s nice to know how much the company appreciates the European market. The portrait workshop with Brett was enjoyable with everyone getting hands on experience in using the studio lighting which is not something I have tried before, and has given me a taste to experiment in.

For those who couldn’t make it there is an anniversary event at Clifton Cameras in Dursley on 7 December, they are also offering £1000 off a 645Z!
Last Edited by RobL on 24/11/2019 - 08:08

DaveKitson

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 10:47
I would also like to thank the SRS team for all their efforts, particularly during the (very) busy morning session. It was a very enjoyable day, well worth driving down the M1 (never my favourite journey) in the wet.

As the only Pentax user in my local camera club, I think I will do my bit towards raising Penta awareness by turning up this week wearing the Pentax cap and carrying the Pentax bag.

davek
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson

jofford

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 11:42
ronniemac wrote:
It was a grand day out!

Seminars were excellent; some very helpful advice and exquisite photography by Richard Wilford, and another fascinating talk by Matt Emmett illustrated with his extraordinary photographs. The event was well attended, I had no idea that so many would be there, with a good number from this forum, and I finally met the character that is Womble!

SRS did a sterling job organising the event, providing a really nice buffet and champers all round! Massive thanks to them all and to the UK Ricoh-Pentax representatives. It was good to also see representatives from the Netherlands and to know that Sweeden was also in attendance.

For me, the highlight was the talk by the President of Ricoh Imaging, Mr Takahashi who flew in from Japan so that he could meet with us today. He spoke warmly of Pentax history and it's commitment to photographers like us, telling us something of Ricoh/Pentax ethos and values. I have a better understanding of the company than I had previously and am confident in it's future. The finale to the President's presentation was unveiling of the forthcoming APS-C camera, and cutting the splendid 100th birthday cake, in itself impressively decorated with icing images of their notable cameras! Pentax UK representatives were keen to hear about our preferences for future development and assured us that this feedback is passed on to the parent company - nice to know.

Everyone who attended left with a bag of goodies; cap, mug, pen, etc and a lovely commemorative metal body cap, a collectors item for sure. I reflected on the way home that Ricoh Imaging has a watchful eye on it's core user base as well as an eye on future developments. They understand what we appreciate in their products. I also imagined about what it would be like at an equivalent event hosted by Canon, Nikon, Sony etc and am in no doubt that there are considerable benefits to Pentax and Ricoh cameras being a niche product whose custodians are looking after their users interests. There was no glitzy commercial fanfare, rather it was a friendly occasion and one where the company demonstrated that we do matter to them.

jofford

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 12:06
Thanks Ronniemac, you also met jofford (aka John Rutherford) in the Presidents address. Totally agree with your sentiments about the day. It was very well organised and thoroughly enjoyable. I too particularly liked the Presidents address and his description of the vision for a future. The fact that he flew from Japan especially for this event shows Ricoh-Pentax’s enormous respect for its customers. I really enjoyed meeting so many other Pentax users too- it has probably given me a push to use this site more than I do. I learned a lot from the Pentax Ambassadors, especially Matt Emmets work on Forgotten Heritage and Brett Harkness ‘s portrait work with a 645z. A very big well done to the SRS staff and the Ricoh-Pentax staff for a well-organised day. It would be a shame if we had to wait another 100 years for the next get-together of Pentaxians. I think 101 is a significant number. And finally, my most amusing bit if the day - after the barely noticeable blip with the difficulty in getting into the Pryzm nightclub, SRS’s partner venue, it was great that Mr Takahasi, the President, brought a replica Pentax prism all the way from Japan as a prize for the ‘after lunch’ game of rock, scissors, stone.

Gwyn

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 17:54
jeallen01 wrote:

- Personal beef (but maybe it's not just me!): the rear AF button is, as it always seems to have been on previous bodies, far too close to the top right hand corner of the body which makes it almost impossible for me or anyone else with moderate-to-large hands to have any chance of using it for BBF without the thumb becoming very painful in a short time. (I've tried BBF with the K-3s and the K-70 - and my thumb joint protested in very "short order" and so I gave that up as a hopeless task )

Interesting. I find the rear AF button on the K-5ii to be perfectly placed for me. I can find it blindfold. I have big hands for a woman and arthritic thimbs but have never had a problem with it's position.

Phil1022

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 18:46
A couple of Mr Takahashi . Big thanks to Chris , Nicky and all the team at SRS for a really good and memorable event

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 18:56
And I see they were even showing an episode of that great British institution Emmerdale on the screen behind just to keep the crowd entertained while they unveiled the new crop body
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 24/11/2019 - 19:16

jeallen01

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 19:06
Mike-P wrote:
And I see they were even showing an episode of that great British institution Emmerdale on the screen behind just to keep the crow entertained while they unveiled the new crop body

They had a looping presentation of stuff from the various session presenters (might have been a little bit from Emmerdale - but as we don't watch that programme then I can't confim!!). That was fine until Mr Taskahashi started his excellent presentation, but they left the monitor loop still running and I found that rather distracting, and that it actually obscured some of what was be projected onto the screen behind the monitor.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 19:23
Sometimes even I don't get my sense of humour so what right have I to expect others will.

Of course I suppose it helps if you have ever seen Emmerdale.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 21:19
Don’t worry Mike, I got it ...😉 Was very sad not to be able to make it... had a seminar written and ready to deliver too (on “Shooting Water”)... due to the day job I’m afraid... occupational hazard unfortunately... but sounds like it was a terrific day all round...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

jeallen01

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 21:25
Mike-P wrote:
Sometimes even I don't get my sense of humour so what right have I to expect others will.

Of course I suppose it helps if you have ever seen Emmerdale.

K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

jofford

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 21:32
Mike-P wrote:
And I see they were even showing an episode of that great British institution Emmerdale on the screen behind just to keep the crowd entertained while they unveiled the new crop body

jofford

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 21:36
It was actually a film of one of the Ambassadors on a shoot near Bamburgh, Northumberland - you know, that castle that appears in photographic magazines every month with nuclear skies. As I used to live near there and recognised many of the spots, I was slightly distracted and I also slightly distracted the girl next to me by giving her occasional running commentary - sorry!!

jeallen01

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 21:59
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
.. but sounds like it was a terrific day all round...
Best

EXCEPT for the weather - rained until around 11-12.00 - and the Pryzum nightclub where the presentations were due to take place"screwed up" and so Chris and his team had to "make do" by moving some of them to the underground demo room (with many Pentax/Ricoh signs on the walls ) in the SRS building until the afternoon!

Great work from the SRS team in very difficult circumstances

PS: some of us decamped to the Weatherspoons pub a few doors along for coffee and bacon butties
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 24/11/2019 - 22:02

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/11/2019 - 22:03
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Don’t worry Mike, I got it ...😉

Had you not I would have been seriously concerned

jofford wrote:
It was actually a film of one of the Ambassadors on a shoot near Bamburgh, Northumberland

Thanks for the info
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.