Squirrel

ElRazur

Link Posted 26/09/2010 - 16:57
Okay, so it is a Gray squirrel. C&C welcome.

Minor editing done - Played with colour curves, hue and saturation and a contrast. Plus a bit of cropping.

08tiger

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 07:56
Cheeky devil, is that a spud it's got between the teeth.
C&C welcome.
Don.

Helpful

i-Berg

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 08:49
I'll comment on two aspects with suggestions, El - the crop might be improved by way of a portrait orientation to eliminate some of the space on the LHS?

The second was that the image may benefit from adjustments that make it lighter and brighter?
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Helpful

fatspider

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 12:43
You need to do something with that very bright area above the squirels head, is it blown out on the original?

The eye is always drawn to the brightest part of an image and this one is really distracting from the subject.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Helpful

TOZZA27

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 13:09
Cracking shot - looks like he`s/she`s got a horse chestnut - mine even wait for me to open them as they are so lazy !
I don`t agree with the cropping suggestion and although the light patch is not perfect - there is sufficient happening to keep the eye on and leading to the subject.Nice colours too complementing the season and the shot.

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Helpful

ElRazur

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 14:00
Thanks guys. Here is the original one - as shot. (See below)

I used a high ISO, so I am not sure if that counts for why the white bits appears blown out?

Thanks for all the tip, I will fire up PSE and do the adjustments on the lights.

(Image quality just scaled down on this one)

fatspider

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 18:00
Having seen the original theres not much you could have done about it, Just one of those situations where the camera does its best to get the exposure right, you have the problem of a dark tree trunk and a bright sky, so the camera has done pretty well.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Helpful

amoringello

Link Posted 27/09/2010 - 22:24
Cannot disagree with anything said, but if you want to get some of that color back it is a 30-60 second fix to change the white background to a decent blue. Dunno if PSE allows for different draw modes, but hopefully the following will work for PSE

Pick up the brush tool.
Set the brush to about the color of blue you want.
Set the draw mode to "Darker Color".
Set Opacity to 50%
You now just paint roughly over the white. No need to be too careful.

Anything lighter than your brush color will go blue. Everything darker will stay untouched.
The gray twigs wil remain visible even if slightly lighter than your brush since you're only at 50%.

Dab over some areas with the Blur brush if the color transition is too rough and you get sharp edges appearing.

OK, this doesn't work in all cases, but it seems to work well on this one. (and no need for pesky masking , where even with CS5 can take a few extra minutes).
Last Edited by amoringello on 27/09/2010 - 22:25

Helpful

puma

Link Posted 28/09/2010 - 20:52
i like the original one what a great photo
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

ElRazur

Link Posted 29/09/2010 - 18:38
amoringello wrote:
Cannot disagree with anything said, but if you want to get some of that color back it is a 30-60 second fix to change the white background to a decent blue. Dunno if PSE allows for different draw modes, but hopefully the following will work for PSE

Pick up the brush tool.
Set the brush to about the color of blue you want.
Set the draw mode to "Darker Color".
Set Opacity to 50%
You now just paint roughly over the white. No need to be too careful.

Anything lighter than your brush color will go blue. Everything darker will stay untouched.
The gray twigs wil remain visible even if slightly lighter than your brush since you're only at 50%.

Dab over some areas with the Blur brush if the color transition is too rough and you get sharp edges appearing.

OK, this doesn't work in all cases, but it seems to work well on this one. (and no need for pesky masking , where even with CS5 can take a few extra minutes).

Thanks man. I will definitely give that a try.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.