Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sport photography advice request

Dwiea
Posted 30/03/2012 - 10:23 Link
Heres the deal, I have volunteered to take some photos for my pal who is organising a two bike races. One is an Audax and the other is a race the next day. The races are 100km so quite long. He has said yes after seeing some of my photos lol. But now I wonder if I'm in over my head

I have a manfrotto tripod, a ball head and one of the lighter (3kg) joystick heads. Have access to two K5's, DA* 16-50mm, FA 50mm, DA 40mm, DA 55-300, DA 50-200 WR and other random bits and pieces.

So with the kit available do you guys think I should set up the tripod and a k5 with long lens on af-c on a stretch of road and have my other k5 with the 16-50 around my neck to take some closer up shots as the rider goes by ? And then drive to another spot where I can take some more shots and repeat until I need to go to the finish line and take some shots there? Maybe even rent a DA* Prime or the 60-250 to try it out and drool over!

Any advice would be appreciated as usual
carmagw
Posted 30/03/2012 - 11:34 Link
Hi, never taken photos of cycling but I do take a lot of pictures of running for Sheffield Hallam Parkrun (facebook). My thoughts are....

I wouldn't bother with a tripod as you'll not be able to adjust quick enough should you wish to change the composition. Maybe use a mono pod if you're happier using some form of support.

I feel pictures look better if you can get in a position with the racers coming towards(ish) you although you will need more side shots with cycling. As you want a sharp image (unless panning) you'll need a shutter speed of 1/640 to 1/1000 or above for the longer lenses, so shouldn't be much camera shake. Coming round corners adds to the atmosphere as well.

Obviously the start and and finish are fixed points, choose your location carefully, the sun in front of you will likely put the racers faces in shadow so from behind you or the side. Also take into consideraton the background as this can kill or make a good picture.

The DA* 16-50 and 55-300 (or the 50-200) should cover your scenarios. Although I use the Sigma 70-200 as the autofocus is very quick compared to the pentax.

If renting a prime I would go for the DA* 200, I have the 60-250* and find it too slow to focus for sports unless you're pre focusing on a specific spot.

Don't forget to take images of the pre and post race activities to tell the full story of the day.

Thats my thought on it, there will be others on here with far more knowledge than me.

Good luck

Regards

George
Edited by carmagw: 30/03/2012 - 11:38
Father Ted
Posted 30/03/2012 - 11:37 Link
I'm no expert, but from photographing at rallies, I'd take the 16-50 around your neck ( as you put it ) with the 55 - 300 on a tripod, or even around the other side of your neck , so you can switch easily between the two. Then, yes, take a few, move on, take a few more etc.....
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
stub
Posted 30/03/2012 - 12:34 Link
Definately agree with the two camera aproach, one long and one wide lens. Personally I wouldn't entertain a tripod. far to clumsy and slow. High shutter speeds will freeze the action, and give no sense of motion. Try some slower speeds and panning your shots. Use the riders practise sessions to frame your compositions. Dont expect to get great results every shot. Focusing is the key, and a few of the Pentax zooms can be pretty slow in this area.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Father Ted
Posted 30/03/2012 - 13:42 Link
stub wrote:
Dont expect to get great results every shot. Focusing is the key, and a few of the Pentax zooms can be pretty slow in this area.

Fully agree. I throw away about 80% of the rally shots I take.
I also pre-focus to a spot on the road, then switch to manual focau so it stays there.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Fletcher8
Posted 30/03/2012 - 14:01 Link
Try and get two camera bodies, one with wide angle lens the other with telephoto. This set up will provide you with a wide range of focal lengths which will give you the scope for different angles of view etc. Use the shoot as a learning experience and have fun.
Fletcher8.
Dwiea
Posted 30/03/2012 - 14:44 Link
That's what I was kind of thinking with the camera on the tripod having it pre focused and then as the cyclists go out of frame / focus on it then I can use the hand held one as they go past the tripod idea is only for distant shots as it would mean the focused point would stay in focus the closer would be hand held so I don't see how a tripod would be clumsy unless it's packing it up and moving It which wouldn't be done in a rush anyway I hope joystick head surely means its not as cumbersome to reframe the shot? Considering I have the hand held k5 for the times there is more movement.

Carmagw you have a good point about choosing the locations carefully ... I'm hoping there are some back roads so I can drive to other locations on the track without interfering with the race or Audax.

Father ted I seem to throw away a great number of shots anyway which is why digital is great
fritzthedog
Posted 30/03/2012 - 20:20 Link
I am no expert but if you have a look at any of the 6 cycle race shots I posted in the gallery last week - they were all taken on the K5 + Sigma 150-500 - and were all taken on the tripod - i also used the 17-70 hand held on the Kr but results were not great

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.