Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

speck in viewfinder

scarr1
Posted 24/09/2014 - 00:02 Link
Hi all.
I have a k5 and noticed tonight when looking through the viewfinder, there is a small speck just above the centre focus circle. I removed the lens and could still see it, so not on the lens, and it doesnt show on images, so not on the sensor. Ive cleaned the rear eyepiece but its still there.
Any ideas where it could be?
Would it be risky to try to clean wherever its at, or just leave it as it is.

Cheers,
Simon.
michaelblue
Posted 24/09/2014 - 06:07 Link
It's probably on the underside of the prism/screen, try GENTLY using something like a 'Rocket Blower' inside the body underneath the prism box but NEVER touch the screen with anything and be careful not to touch the sensor!
If it's inside the prism box best to leave it there...irritating but it won't affect the photos in any way.

Incidentally....I once found a small insect in the prism box of my ME Super! I could see it crawling around in the viewfinder every time I used it
Regards,
Michael
Edited by michaelblue: 24/09/2014 - 06:09
fritzthedog
Posted 24/09/2014 - 07:59 Link
Small marks on focus screens and dust inside the prism box are common and do not cause any issues.

They can be cleaned but it is a risky business unless done professionally - I speak from experience!

My K5 and K5IIs have both got marks on the screens. I am so used to them I do not even notice them. If either of them get to the point that they annoy me - Johnsons will replace the screen and do a sensor clean for £50 which is a very good price. The cheapest you can pick up a genuine focus screen to do this yourself is around £45

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
MattMatic
Posted 24/09/2014 - 08:44 Link
Quote:
try GENTLY using something like a 'Rocket Blower'

If you do, do some hard 'puffs' before you use it. I once used a Rocket Blower to clear some gunk off the focus screen and ended up blowing more onto the screen!

Quote:
I once found a small insect in the prism box of my ME Super!

Happy days I had a little family of them. Must've been something they liked in the ME Supers.

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
jemx99
Posted 24/09/2014 - 21:21 Link
In the 'olden' days you could sometimes get tiny mites (not sure what they were) inside the prism housing - you could see them walking about - very off putting - the cure was put the camera in the gas oven for a few minutes - on but not lit - seemed to work

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.