Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Some Wetland Residents

matwhittington
Posted 02/06/2011 - 18:14 Link
Hello again all. Last week I managed to have a mosey around two of the WWT Wetland Centres, at Barnes (near my home) and Arundel (the next nearest), and thought I would share a handful of shots of what I found there. If you like birds and wildlife at all I recommend them for a visit. They have a good mix of a 'collection' of species, which are effectively captive, although not particularly in enclosures, and wild animals, some of which you can get very close to, and others which can be seen from the extensive hides provided. Long lens recommended though.

Anyway, first up, water ON a duck's back...

Comment Image

A Bufflehead (somewhat of a cutie) seeking refuge in the shade:

Comment Image

Bewick's Swan - he looks built for speed to my mind:

Comment Image

and it's not all birds! Here's a frog (Marsh Frog?):

Comment Image

and a Damselfly (Blue tailed Damsel I think):

Comment Image

Sleepy Scoter... These guys are all black and look very cool!

Comment Image

A Mallard throwing shapes (ahem...)

Comment Image

and finally a white headed duck. I can never resist these ducks. Their big blue bill is just a wonder

Comment Image

I hope you like these. Any C&C welcome as ever. There are a load more on my flickr if anyone wants to see more...

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
SteveEveritt
Posted 02/06/2011 - 18:47 Link
Love them all, pin sharp, my outright fave though is the Bewick
Flickr
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
johnwhit
Posted 02/06/2011 - 18:55 Link
Lovely set Mat, I've never seen a white headed duck before.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
ems82
Posted 02/06/2011 - 19:00 Link
Lovely sharp shots Mat what lens did you use
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro
matwhittington
Posted 02/06/2011 - 21:55 Link
Many thanks Steve, John and Emma. The pics are mainly taken with the DA*300 on my K-7, although the Damselfly was taken with the DFA100 mounted with a 2x teleconverter. The DA*300 is a great lens, but last week it was nice and sunny so i could get the aperture squeezed down small to f8, f9 and still get decent fast shutter speeds, giving some sharp results.

Cheers
Mat W

johnwhit
Posted 02/06/2011 - 22:01 Link
The DFA100 performs well with the 2x TC, could I ask which TC.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Edited by johnwhit: 02/06/2011 - 22:12
matwhittington
Posted 03/06/2011 - 06:29 Link
No problem, I use a Kenko Teleplus MC7 (it also has 'DG' written in the side). It performs well, I think, and supports autofocus in more 'conventionally' powered lenses but it doesn't support SDM/HSM.
Mat W

johnwhit
Posted 03/06/2011 - 07:18 Link
Thanks Mat, I have the Teleplus MC7 (non DG) I keep meaning to try it on the Tamron 90mm Di, The Tamron 1.4x works well with the 90mm, now the MC7 is definitely on my "to do" list

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Algernon
Posted 03/06/2011 - 09:17 Link
Nice varied and interesting set. I've never seen a white headed duck either
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Jumbo48
Posted 03/06/2011 - 11:43 Link
Lovely set Mat, I must take a trip down there soon.
Regards John/Jumbo
eenymac
Posted 03/06/2011 - 19:06 Link
I've been thinking of a trip to Barnes for a while now so will have to take a drive up that way before too long.

Lovely shots, especially the Bufflehead. Only ever seen photos of them from the US before, they are a beautiful little duck.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.