Some Quince.....
Posted 18/09/2018 - 17:55
Link
My first thought would be... Decent images but why only use daylight ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 18/09/2018 - 18:03
Link
stub wrote:
My first thought would be... Decent images but why only use daylight ?
Why not?My first thought would be... Decent images but why only use daylight ?
Oh, and No 2 for me.
SteveH!
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Posted 18/09/2018 - 21:35
Link
Aitch53 wrote:
Oh, and No 2 for me.
Because with ambient light you have what you have... With false light you can really create and design an image...!!
stub wrote:
My first thought would be... Decent images but why only use daylight ?
Why not?My first thought would be... Decent images but why only use daylight ?
Oh, and No 2 for me.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 19/09/2018 - 18:13
Link
Nice images and good use of natural light. It's diffused nicely and created depth
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 19/09/2018 - 20:19
Link
Nice study. Very atmospheric with the natural lighting.
Are you making jelly with them?
Are you making jelly with them?
K5, K200d (IR @ 720NM), X-5
Posted 19/09/2018 - 21:23
Link
Lovely chiaroscuro in these. Natural light well taken advantage of.
Posted 20/09/2018 - 01:19
Link
And "Natural Light" wins by four to one!
Stub, advocating flash here is probably swimming against the tide There is a common tendency to equate "natural" light with being obviously better. I suspect its "obviously better" for most because its more easily obtainable. How many times have we seen people write "I am a natural light photographer", and then a flash advocate writes in response "that means he just doesn't know how to use flash" !
I think there should be understanding and appreciation from both sides ..... here with Rogers shots, I find the light works best in the first one. The others I find the contrast too great (shadows very deep and sudden) and there are distracting hotspots on the lit sides. So perhaps a reflector could have been tried, plus some way to diffuse the light more.
If that was something I wanted to "improve" then yes, two flashes with diffusion could do it .... equally perhaps a white surface to reflect light back into the shadow side, plus some material over the window might achieve a similar result with only natural light.
Where there is a real difference between the two is the subject of exposure time ..... natural light in this sort of situation may well mean quite long exposure times, so the need for steadiness or support. Non flash users may not appreciate the sheer power and flexibility that comes from being able to shoot at ISO100, 1/180th sec and F11, in quite dim conditions.
Stub, advocating flash here is probably swimming against the tide There is a common tendency to equate "natural" light with being obviously better. I suspect its "obviously better" for most because its more easily obtainable. How many times have we seen people write "I am a natural light photographer", and then a flash advocate writes in response "that means he just doesn't know how to use flash" !
I think there should be understanding and appreciation from both sides ..... here with Rogers shots, I find the light works best in the first one. The others I find the contrast too great (shadows very deep and sudden) and there are distracting hotspots on the lit sides. So perhaps a reflector could have been tried, plus some way to diffuse the light more.
If that was something I wanted to "improve" then yes, two flashes with diffusion could do it .... equally perhaps a white surface to reflect light back into the shadow side, plus some material over the window might achieve a similar result with only natural light.
Where there is a real difference between the two is the subject of exposure time ..... natural light in this sort of situation may well mean quite long exposure times, so the need for steadiness or support. Non flash users may not appreciate the sheer power and flexibility that comes from being able to shoot at ISO100, 1/180th sec and F11, in quite dim conditions.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 20/09/2018 - 07:33
Link
There is a place for both natural light and artificial light sources, but the difference for me is between continuous lighting and flash, rather than natural lighting and flash.
Continuous lighting gives very different images to most flash shots, not least because the light sources tend to be larger than the point light of a small flash unit. Sudio flash is something else, and very versatile.
Personally I prefer continuous lighting with reflectors where necessary and sometimes studio flash.
Continuous lighting gives very different images to most flash shots, not least because the light sources tend to be larger than the point light of a small flash unit. Sudio flash is something else, and very versatile.
Personally I prefer continuous lighting with reflectors where necessary and sometimes studio flash.
Best regards, John
Posted 20/09/2018 - 09:31
Link
Opps, what have I started...!! Sorry guys..
Nigel I didn't exactly say "flash" Though that would be sufficient, any kind of light or just a reflector would do. No need for the flash v ambient arguement.
These images could be exactly the authors intention. So if that's the case then he has returned what he intended. And people like me shouldn't pass opinion.
For me the images would be improved somewhat with more depth to them, and that is were I feel they need additional light. "Fill light" to give them that. The creation of a lighting ratio. There is enough light from the main "Key" ambient light, on the subject. Creating a highlight no less, But the stems start to disappear half way down. With the introduction of agressive shadows.
I also did say that the images were decent and I liked the idea...!!
Nigel I didn't exactly say "flash" Though that would be sufficient, any kind of light or just a reflector would do. No need for the flash v ambient arguement.
These images could be exactly the authors intention. So if that's the case then he has returned what he intended. And people like me shouldn't pass opinion.
For me the images would be improved somewhat with more depth to them, and that is were I feel they need additional light. "Fill light" to give them that. The creation of a lighting ratio. There is enough light from the main "Key" ambient light, on the subject. Creating a highlight no less, But the stems start to disappear half way down. With the introduction of agressive shadows.
I also did say that the images were decent and I liked the idea...!!
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 20/09/2018 - 14:40
Link
"...be good to hear your thoughts on these."
Thanks, everyone.
None taken.
I still like them.
Chiaroscuro!
Roger.
Thanks, everyone.
None taken.
I still like them.
Chiaroscuro!
Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1547 posts
16 years
Wiltshire
Elements 11.
...be good to hear your thoughts on these.
Roger.