Some Quince.....

coker

Link Posted 18/09/2018 - 17:24
K5, 100mm D FA Macro.Daylight.
Elements 11.

...be good to hear your thoughts on these.

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

stub

Link Posted 18/09/2018 - 17:55
My first thought would be... Decent images but why only use daylight ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Aitch53

Link Posted 18/09/2018 - 18:03
stub wrote:

Why not?

Oh, and No 2 for me.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Last Edited by Aitch53 on 18/09/2018 - 18:05

stub

Link Posted 18/09/2018 - 21:35
Aitch53 wrote:
stub wrote:

Why not?

Oh, and No 2 for me.

Because with ambient light you have what you have... With false light you can really create and design an image...!!

Stuart..

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 19/09/2018 - 18:13
Nice images and good use of natural light. It's diffused nicely and created depth
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

pmcquail

Link Posted 19/09/2018 - 20:19
Nice study. Very atmospheric with the natural lighting.

Are you making jelly with them?
K5, K200d (IR @ 720NM), X-5

Sry

Link Posted 19/09/2018 - 21:23
Lovely chiaroscuro in these. Natural light well taken advantage of.

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/09/2018 - 01:19
And "Natural Light" wins by four to one!

Stub, advocating flash here is probably swimming against the tide There is a common tendency to equate "natural" light with being obviously better. I suspect its "obviously better" for most because its more easily obtainable. How many times have we seen people write "I am a natural light photographer", and then a flash advocate writes in response "that means he just doesn't know how to use flash" !

I think there should be understanding and appreciation from both sides ..... here with Rogers shots, I find the light works best in the first one. The others I find the contrast too great (shadows very deep and sudden) and there are distracting hotspots on the lit sides. So perhaps a reflector could have been tried, plus some way to diffuse the light more.

If that was something I wanted to "improve" then yes, two flashes with diffusion could do it .... equally perhaps a white surface to reflect light back into the shadow side, plus some material over the window might achieve a similar result with only natural light.

Where there is a real difference between the two is the subject of exposure time ..... natural light in this sort of situation may well mean quite long exposure times, so the need for steadiness or support. Non flash users may not appreciate the sheer power and flexibility that comes from being able to shoot at ISO100, 1/180th sec and F11, in quite dim conditions.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/09/2018 - 01:25

johnriley

Link Posted 20/09/2018 - 07:33
There is a place for both natural light and artificial light sources, but the difference for me is between continuous lighting and flash, rather than natural lighting and flash.

Continuous lighting gives very different images to most flash shots, not least because the light sources tend to be larger than the point light of a small flash unit. Sudio flash is something else, and very versatile.

Personally I prefer continuous lighting with reflectors where necessary and sometimes studio flash.
Best regards, John

stub

Link Posted 20/09/2018 - 09:31
Opps, what have I started...!! Sorry guys..
Nigel I didn't exactly say "flash" Though that would be sufficient, any kind of light or just a reflector would do. No need for the flash v ambient arguement.

These images could be exactly the authors intention. So if that's the case then he has returned what he intended. And people like me shouldn't pass opinion.

For me the images would be improved somewhat with more depth to them, and that is were I feel they need additional light. "Fill light" to give them that. The creation of a lighting ratio. There is enough light from the main "Key" ambient light, on the subject. Creating a highlight no less, But the stems start to disappear half way down. With the introduction of agressive shadows.

I also did say that the images were decent and I liked the idea...!!

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 20/09/2018 - 09:35

coker

Link Posted 20/09/2018 - 14:40
"...be good to hear your thoughts on these."

Thanks, everyone.

None taken.

I still like them.

Chiaroscuro!

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Last Edited by coker on 20/09/2018 - 14:46
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.