Some K-5IIs Images

davidstorm

Link Posted 23/06/2013 - 19:50
After all the discussion and debate in recent weeks about the merits or otherwise of the K-5IIs, here are some actual photos taken with the best of my three cameras!

All were shot yesterday whilst out and about in the wilds of the Derbyshire Peak District at Derwent Edge, the Derwent Valley and Magpie Mine. All are with the Samsung D-Xenon 12-24mm F4 lens; this combination of camera and lens seems to work very well for me.

Towards the Edge

Derwent Edge & Sky

The Wheel Stones

Upper Derwent Valley

Portrait of Magpie Mine

Hope you like, as always, CC welcomed.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 23/06/2013 - 19:56

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 23/06/2013 - 20:56
Mmm, contemplating this lens or the Sigma 10-20. These are helping the swing to the Pentax
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
Last Edited by SteveEveritt on 23/06/2013 - 20:57

davidstorm

Link Posted 23/06/2013 - 21:07
SteveEveritt wrote:
Mmm, contemplating this lens or the Sigma 10-20. These are helping the swing to the Pentax

Cheers Steve, I've only just got the lens, bought it from a Forum member and it had never been used by the looks of it. Yesterday was the first time I have used it and my impressions are very favourable - sharpness, colours, contrast and control of distortion are all very good. I think it is much sharper than the 16-45 and a bit sharper than the 17-70 based on first time out with it. Another bonus is that is does not vignette with my 85mm Hitech filters and Cokin A holders, even when used at its widest setting!

Regards
David
Flickr

craftysnapper

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 07:35
A very nice set of images David, I feel no2 would make a great mono conversion, thanks for sharing.
Regards Paul
My PBase Galleries
My Flickr Photos

tyronet2000

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 08:26
A nice set David, expect to see more excellent images in the future
Regards
Stan

PPG

simonkit

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 08:47
Nice set of images David, really enjoy using my 12-24 lens too, capable of producing very high quality images just a shame it doesn't quite have those pentax colours/contrast like the DA17-70 etc

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 24/06/2013 - 08:47

Blythman

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 09:09
Good start David. This is my go to landscape lens. I think you'll like it a lot
Alan

PPG
Flickr

tyronet2000

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 10:01
Stop pushing the price up
Regards
Stan

PPG

LennyBloke

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 10:09
Nice set David - it looks to be a really good combination (just as I'd decided to not buy a K5IIS, and to sell my DA 12-24!!!).

I'm interested to know what your typical Post Processing is for these shots, and did you use ND grads too?

Thanks
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 13:11
Just looked at these in the gallery and can see you've used ND Grads

Still interested in your PP technique
LennyBloke

Stuey

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 19:26
Nice shots David and a nice purchase too
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

davidstorm

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 20:23
LennyBloke wrote:
I'm interested to know what your typical Post Processing is for these shots, and did you use ND grads too?

Thanks

Hi Lennybloke, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. You've already seen that I use Hitech ND Grads, as for the processing it's pretty standard stuff as I don't have the skills and finesse that some do. In simple terms I do the following:

- Open via Adobe Bridge into Adobe Camera RAW, adjust Exposure, Recovery, Fill Light, occasionally up the Contrast a bit, occasionally Sharpen a tad (usually don't bother at this stage) and up the Clarity to about +20 to +40, depending on the image.

- Open in Photoshop CS3, adjust levels, apply selective Dodge & Burn, re-adjust levels as required
- Adjust Saturation, usually taking yellows down by at least -20 to get rid of over-saturated greens in grass (one of my pet hates is artificial looking green)
- Adjust the Cyans / Blues, especially in the sky as the Hitech Filters add a subtle Cyan / Blue tinge that I would prefer to get rid of
- Check Magenta levels and reduce if necessary (usually not required)
- Flatten image, re-check levels, then sharpen moderately using Unsharp Mask via a duplicate layer with the layer setting on 'Luminosity' to avoid introducing undue noise
- Finally reduce image size to 1000px on the longest side before uploading to the PU Gallery or the Forum; reduction is with the standard 'bicubic' (I used to use 'bicubic sharper' but found that images shot with the K-5IIs could end up looking a bit too sharp when this method is applied, so I have reverted back to the standard setting)

That is a typical process, pretty much what was used on these images. I do sometimes spend a bit more time playing with blended exposures or by blending different layers to enhance various aspects of the image, but none of that has been done here. All of these are single exposure, most have a pretty big dynamic range which has required a fair amount of tweaking to ensure skies are not blown and details are visible in the landscapes. I always make avoiding blown skies my biggest priority when shooting landscapes as this can't effectively be recovered.

Hope this is useful, sorry it's a bit long!

Regards
David
Flickr

Smeggypants

Link Posted 24/06/2013 - 22:16
Really liking "Upper Derwent Valley"

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

davidstorm

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 00:20
Thanks Smeggy, much appreciated, thanks also to everyone else that has commented on these pics.

Regards
David
Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/06/2013 - 07:45
Thanks for the details of your processing David, it's good to know the techniques used on photos that stand out
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.