Some K-5IIs Images

sebas77

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 18:18
one can appreciate the k5IIs beauty only in full res

davidstorm

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 21:09
sebas77 wrote:
one can appreciate the k5IIs beauty only in full res

Thank you Sebastiano, I agree with you but we can't post the images in full resolution here and we have to live with the limitations of the Forum and Gallery in terms of the resolution it allows. I always reduce the size of my images to 1000px on the longest side so that they are not reduced any further when I upload them to this site, but for some reason they still look quite a bit softer on here than even my 1000px reduced images do on my PC. I might be doing something wrong, but I suspect that further compression is being applied during upload.

If you want to see some of the images in full resolution, please click on my Flickr link below.

Best wishes
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidstorm

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 22:58
Just one more image to show you, the reason for posting this one is that I think it illustrates a couple of things about the K-5IIs.

1. It captures a ridiculous amount of fine details, distant objects in particular are much clearer

2. It ruthlessly exposes poorer performing lenses and areas of the image on even good lenses that are not quite up to scratch. On the full res version of this image shot with the 12-24, the edge resolution is clearly demonstrated to be nowhere near as good as the central portion. I've noticed this previously with other lenses and some shots with the K-5, but with the IIs it is more pronounced.

Since taking the IIs out on a landscape trip, my K-5 has been relegated firmly to a backup only as the IIs comprehensively outperforms it for this type of work. I don't think this is anything to do with focussing, as focussing is not really much of a factor on this type of shot.

The full resolution version is on my Flickr stream if you want to have a look at this; you will see better what I mean.

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 26/06/2013 - 22:59

TonyM

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 23:28
Quote:
Thanks for the details of your processing David, it's good to know the techniques used on photos that stand out

Indeed. It now seems obvious, but the point about keeping the skys under control is good. Normally we're taught to expose to the right, because of the greater detail, but I suppose it's better to have to lift under-exposed scenery and have non-blown skys? I really thought these were HDR (in a good way ) when I first saw them.

Cheers

Tony

davidstorm

Link Posted 26/06/2013 - 23:56
Hi Tony, thanks for your comments. None of these shots are HDR, all are a single exposure processed in a single workflow. I pay a lot of attention to ensuring I don't blow the skies in the original image, this is why I use the ND Grads, although it does introduce a couple of things to deal with, i.e. some increase to blue / cyan in skies and also a darker look to things like trees that are near the top of the image. In the image above there is a tiny amount of blow-out, but I think it's just about acceptable to me!

I also find that the K-5, and even more so the K-5IIs, are particularly good for revealing shadow detail without much image noise, so I'm not afraid to underexpose a tad and recover this later.

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 26/06/2013 - 23:59

johnriley

Link Posted 27/06/2013 - 00:07
I think you've got that right David. Exposing to the right puts us in danger of blown out highlights. I always "under-expose" to keep the highlight detail.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.