Software editing and interpolation
Posted 18/11/2009 - 21:39
Link
I am not sure I understand why your slides need interpolation.
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 18/11/2009 - 21:49
Link
Posted 18/11/2009 - 22:11
Link
I understand why you would use interpolation for making much bigger images.
What I don't understand is why it would help with digitising slides.
G
What I don't understand is why it would help with digitising slides.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 18/11/2009 - 22:40
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
I understand why you would use interpolation for making much bigger images.
What I don't understand is why it would help with digitising slides.
G
Not but the OP said it was appealing to blow them up to poster size.
I understand why you would use interpolation for making much bigger images.
What I don't understand is why it would help with digitising slides.
G
Posted 18/11/2009 - 22:44
Link
I used to get about 4000 pixels along the long side out of my film scanner, thats enough for 20x16 at least, just how big are you planning to print?
I haven't heard much discussion on this forum about interpolating up for large prints, but on other forums I have been involved with people swore by Genuine Fractals.
I haven't heard much discussion on this forum about interpolating up for large prints, but on other forums I have been involved with people swore by Genuine Fractals.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 19/11/2009 - 00:45
Link
Anvh wrote:
Read what he said again, Stefan.George Lazarette wrote:
I understand why you would use interpolation for making much bigger images.
What I don't understand is why it would help with digitising slides.
G
Not but the OP said it was appealing to blow them up to poster size. I understand why you would use interpolation for making much bigger images.
What I don't understand is why it would help with digitising slides.
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 19/11/2009 - 01:01
Link
If you want to upsize your files to make large prints then Photoshop will now do the job pretty much as well as Genuine Fractals will. Use a resampling method of Bicubic Smoother and results will be very impressive without the need for extra expense.
Should you need to downsize an image then using Bicubic Sharper will maintain the detail and sharpness better, especially when making images for the web.
Should you need to downsize an image then using Bicubic Sharper will maintain the detail and sharpness better, especially when making images for the web.
Best regards, John
Posted 19/11/2009 - 08:28
Link
Calum,
How are you intending to digitise your slides?
How are you intending to digitise your slides?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 19/11/2009 - 11:17
Link
Many thanks for your replies.
I downloaded a trial of elements 8 last night and messed around with a few images. I was impressed. I also found the bicubic enlarger easy enough to get my head round.
I'm using a HP 4050 scanner for the slides and negs, but it takes an age to do. Sixteen slides at 600dpi/ppi takes about an hour and a half.
I downloaded a trial of elements 8 last night and messed around with a few images. I was impressed. I also found the bicubic enlarger easy enough to get my head round.
I'm using a HP 4050 scanner for the slides and negs, but it takes an age to do. Sixteen slides at 600dpi/ppi takes about an hour and a half.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



60 posts
16 years
Point,
Isle of lewis
I realise that there's a version of silkypics that comes with the camera, which i'm happy to use but i also want an interpolation programme. The interpolation being for the huge box of slides and negatives that i have. It also appeals in that i may wish to blow up to poster size anything in the future. The front runner interpolationally seems to be Genuine Fractuals which is a Photoshop plug in, which would mean having to buy Elements 8. So are is there any good stand alone interpolation software out there which compares to Genuine Fractuals. I'm quite happy to go down the Elements 8/Fractuals route if need be but given that i have RAW conversion software with the camera a stand alone interpolation programme make more sense.
Many thanks, Calum