so rumours have it

theonenadeem

Link Posted 26/02/2019 - 22:21
Rumours have it that the long anticipated Pentax DFA 85mm1.4 will be released soon .
As well as a limited edition KP, which I like and if they launch this grip on its own , I for one would consider buying it.

Also The GRIii has a launch date.

Its only February and its looking to be a good year for new releases.

Some products are high end balanced with minor upgrades.

Regards

Regards

pschlute

Link Posted 26/02/2019 - 22:42
This forum is getting more like DPR every day.
Peter

My Flickr page

richandfleur

Link Posted 26/02/2019 - 23:27
pschlute wrote:
This forum is getting more like DPR every day.

I hear you, but at the same time for those wanting a modern K-3 replacement it's been a long time between drinks now.
If the K-1 is intended for that purpose, then it would be nice of Pentax to say so. There's just little comms around any of this.

The KP looks like a really nice camera, but it sits alongside the K-3 rather than being part of that line.
eg K-3's twin card slots, buffer size, max shutter speed etc vs KP's tiltscreen, high iso capabilities etc.

Whilst the K-3 body has received a mk ii minor upgrade, it's reasonable for owners to be keen to see the next offering in this range segment.

pschlute

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 00:11
richandfleur wrote:
it's reasonable for owners to be keen to see the next offering in this range segment.

.... and then moan there are not enough lenses for it.

My approach is to establish what is critical for my photography needs, and then buy a camera/lenses that satisfy that criteria. If Pentax no longer offered me what I want I would look to a manufacturer that does.
Peter

My Flickr page

stephen-s

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 00:21
Hmm - Could be Interesting.

Why go to the bother of designing a mirror box that overhangs the aperture ring so much... Better in body GPS? or a Hybrid Optical / EVF?

richandfleur

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 00:31
pschlute wrote:
richandfleur wrote:
it's reasonable for owners to be keen to see the next offering in this range segment.

.... and then moan there are not enough lenses for it.

Not me, there's more than enough there.

pschlute wrote:

My approach is to establish what is critical for my photography needs, and then buy a camera/lenses that satisfy that criteria. If Pentax no longer offered me what I want I would look to a manufacturer that does.

Fully agree, although you'd want to see what's new, before you made the jump right?
I've got a bunch of DA lenses, so I'm very keen to see what's coming in the APS-C Pentax range to upgrade my K-3.
Again, it's been a very long time since the K-3 was released, so it's not unreasonable to expect a new model soon.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 27/02/2019 - 00:32

pschlute

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 00:54
richandfleur wrote:
Again, it's been a very long time since the K-3 was released, so it's not unreasonable to expect a new model soon.

You are quite correct, and I am sure one will be released before too long. But this is Pentax, and they do not have the capability to release a new camera as often as the big names. Look how long it took for a FF digital to emerge.

I think what some people are forgetting is that this is the 100 year anniversary of Asahi Optical Company. They have explicitly stated there will be a number of "surprises" to commemorate that. The half-timbered KP is one of those. I expect there will be a number of others, mostly cosmetic. This has been a Pentax tradition for decades. i would not be concerned that the release of these "surprises" will delay future camera/lens releases which will continue at the same (admittedly slow) pace.
Peter

My Flickr page

johnriley

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 10:00
We've had the same grumbles since for ever on this forum, no matter what gets introduced, but if we step back and look at what has been achieved then it's actually quite a lot. Including just about everything that we asked for. Each and every idea has no doubt generated its own bit of revenue and thus helped the mainstream DSLR kit to expand.

We now have more lenses available that in the heady days of the 1970s and 1980s, we have several APS-C bodies, we have the K-1 and K-1 II in full frame, we have the 645Z in medium format. I use a K-3 II and a K-1 at the moment, and what might come next isn't of much relevance until I need to replace for some reason. When the time comes, I'll look at the options then. In the meantime I'm not going to stress about it.

I would guess we will have a new APS-C flagship in due course, but let Pentax get it right and take the time to do so. It was difficult to improve on the Spotmatic as a camera, so it stayed for a very long time and was only superceded by technological advances rather than any need as it was pretty much spot on. The same could be said of the current cameras. Apart from advancing technology and incremental improvements, is there really any major improvement to be had?
Best regards, John

MrB

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 12:55
johnriley wrote:
Apart from advancing technology and incremental improvements, is there really any major improvement to be had?

It would be good to see the best photography and videography features from e.g. the K-5, K-3, K-70 and KP, along with advancements in technology, combined in the next APS-C body. Such things as woodwork and shape of prism cover are an unnecessary irrelevance.

Philip

johnriley

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 13:53
Quote:
Such things as woodwork and shape of prism cover are an unnecessary irrelevance.

In terms of pure photography I absolutely agree with you.

How do you feel about the revenue generation that such trims create though? If people want to buy special edition cameras, usually at a premium price, perhaps it appeals to the aesthetic sense within us, maybe the collector, maybe it increases the overall desirablilty of the marque. But it does generate money, which is then available for R&D and marketing.
Best regards, John

wvbarnes

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 17:08
I for one just want to see commitment to APS-C in the form of a camera the quality and features of the K3II which ended production a year ago, I gather. I bought mine just before this. I have no upgrade path now as the K1 is too heavy, too slow and too bulky for telephoto lenses for me. The KP/K70 is a downgrade in so many ways, shutter life, battery, top LCD, remote sensors especially.

A year old mock up of a tarted up KP is not what I want to see trailed. A mock up of the trailed K3 II 'evolved' replacement would at least indicate something is happening. I know they don't do road maps for camera bodies for commercial reasons but they trailed the GRIII for ages.

I for example wouldn't buy the new wide angle DA zoom unless I was reassured it was worth it for my next camera too.

I'm surprised the K3 II wasn't kept in production or at least as current for longer. Other makes keep theirs for years, last expensive Canon 5D or most of Olympus range spring to mind. I do hope we still get prompt lens firmware updates at least.
Bill
Last Edited by wvbarnes on 27/02/2019 - 17:08

MrB

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 17:38
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
Such things as woodwork and shape of prism cover are an unnecessary irrelevance.

In terms of pure photography I absolutely agree with you.

How do you feel about the revenue generation that such trims create though? If people want to buy special edition cameras, usually at a premium price, perhaps it appeals to the aesthetic sense within us, maybe the collector, maybe it increases the overall desirablilty of the marque. But it does generate money, which is then available for R&D and marketing.

You might have a good point there, John. However, as you ask how I feel about it, I would feel much better if Pentax concentrated on making a new APS-C camera body that is the best available behind any lens, rather than re-hashing old stuff to create something that supposedly looks good as the subject in front of a lens. I would hope the former would generate more sales and hence more revenue. But I'm not an economist, so I don't know and my comments could be rubbish.

Philip

Algernon

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 18:58
Marketing people like cute.... touchy ...... feely cameras Who cares about what's under the bonnet

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

HarisF1

Link Posted 27/02/2019 - 19:42
Can I just say that I honestly think Pentax have some of the most visually pleasing cameras available on the market?

The K-1 is a brute, the K3 looks like a real professional camera with those angles, while the KP is your cool as a cucumber secret agent SLR-posing-as-a-Mirrorless monster hunter.

Very unlike Canon and Nikon with their random bulges and bits of belly fat (and hideous dial pads).

pschlute

Link Posted 28/02/2019 - 05:30
wvbarnes wrote:
I for one just want to see commitment to APS-C in the form of a camera the quality and features of the K3II which ended production a year ago, I gather. I bought mine just before this. I have no upgrade path now

A year old mock up of a tarted up KP is not what I want to see trailed.

So you have had your K3 II for just over a year ? You will get many more years use out of that. You are worried that Pentax will stop producing flagship aps-c cameras and concentrate on FF and MF. Well none of us can see into the future and given the current state of the DSLR market who knows what it will look like in 5 years time. Just enjoy your camera now.

The half-timbered KP is one of the "surprises" Pentax promised for the anniversary year. There will be more of these. The KP grip harks back to the Grip-A for the LX.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.