Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Snow-capped Snowdon mon conversion

simonkit
Posted 17/01/2013 - 09:01 Link
Following on from my last post I've just converted this photograph of a snow-capped Snowdon to mono and would appreciate feedback

Thanks

Simon

Comment Image
AndrewA
Posted 17/01/2013 - 18:04 Link
Well, it works for me Simon!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
simonkit
Posted 17/01/2013 - 19:04 Link
AndrewA wrote:
Well, it works for me Simon!

Thanks Andrew, it's another attempted rescue really as the colour version just doesn't work at all in the flat lighting

Simon
AlJones2402
Posted 17/01/2013 - 21:14 Link
Very nice
DaveHolmes
Posted 17/01/2013 - 21:19 Link
I just said 'wowzer' out loud...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Northgrain
Posted 17/01/2013 - 22:05 Link
Sorry Simon. Not sure this works for me

Your other various colour images from Llynnau Mymbyr are so very strong, this does not have the same impact - there seems to be less definition across the frame. Just my view though, and 'tothers clearly think differently
Stuey
Posted 17/01/2013 - 22:12 Link
I like it
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
simonkit
Posted 17/01/2013 - 22:19 Link
Thanks everyone & no problem Tim, no harm in a bit of balanced feedback

Simon
jeeess1967
Posted 18/01/2013 - 10:31 Link
Hi simon,

Sorry, it doesn't work for me too. Would have liked to see the colour version. Sorry again!

Regards

Jeeess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.
bforbes
Posted 18/01/2013 - 10:56 Link
I have not seen the colour version so can't make a comparison. What I find with the B&W is, the reflections are brighter than the mountain, so you don't follow the image through. May be there is not the definition between mountain and sky? I do like the composition though.
Blythman
Posted 18/01/2013 - 10:59 Link
Not keen on this one Simon, but couldn't work out why.

bforbes wrote:
I have not seen the colour version so can't make a comparison. What I find with the B&W is, the reflections are brighter than the mountain, so you don't follow the image through. May be there is not the definition between mountain and sky? I do like the composition though.

Good analysis Barrie
Alan

PPG
Flickr
DrOrloff
Posted 18/01/2013 - 11:31 Link
I think the composition is really excellent. But the image doesn't really work for me either. The two problems for me are the sky and the brightness of the reflection. Was a grad perhaps used on the sky and so the reflected sky much brighter?

The sky is not a good b&w sky. The tonal range in the sky doesn't contrast enough with the mountains and they don't stand out enough. The tones in the reflected sky adjacent to the ice match the tones of the ice so the same happens in the midground. The bright tones in the reflection are clipped and draw the into the centre of the image. So I think that conspires against the composition. I think the overall effect could be improved with some judicious dodging/burning and also reducing/increasing detail in some areas to boost contrast between the elements of the scene. It all boils down to a bit of luck with the sky and I agree that colourmight look better.
simonkit
Posted 18/01/2013 - 12:30 Link
Thanks everyone for the detailed feedback, helpful as always. I'm 100% certain that the colour version doesn't work so have had another go at the B&W conversion...I've updated the original post with the new one, any better for anyone?

Simon
johnriley
Posted 18/01/2013 - 13:10 Link
We would be able to tell better Simon if you'de left the original there and posted a new version. Then they could be compared as the image evolves maybe even to a third version.
Best regards, John
Posted 18/01/2013 - 14:30 Link
I find the ice cracks in the foreground very interesting but I'm not sure about the background setting. Maybe the mountain doesn't stand out from the sky enough. Is the contrast a bit high?

To me the hills between the mountain and the foreground are what jumps out and therefore you maybe lose a bit of the depth.

Having said that I am nitpicking and like the picture.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.