Get 10% Off Eversure Camera Insurance Today!

SLR digital camera

Pete Bargh

Link Posted 28/03/2003 - 17:52
Matt
Pentax are hoping to get the body below £1000! Exciting times ahead...
Publisher
Magezine Publishing Ltd

MattMatic

Link Posted 31/03/2003 - 09:54
Peter,

Ghuhgh, cough, choke! Zoweee :O
How can I get in the queue??!

Fantastic news indeed! Hope they pull it off without compromising quality and features!

Thanks for that info, Peter!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Lurach

Link Posted 04/06/2003 - 11:01
Hello Peter

Just wondering if you would have any idea as to what the projected price for the *istD body might be for the Republic of Ireland. I think £1000 in the UK would be better than I would have dared hope!
Lurach

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 08/06/2003 - 21:14
I'm not sure what it will be in the Republic of Ireland as we are UK based and don't get info or pricing for other parts of the world. I believe this is your contact who may be able to indicate a price
Pemberton Marketing Int'l. Ltd
United Drug House, Belgard Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24, (Fax: +353 1 - 459-69-16),
IRELAND
(353)-1-459-88-77
Email: photographic@pemberton.ie

marcof

Link Posted 11/06/2003 - 12:34
I've switched pentax->Nikon when pentax a long time ago, I've always been fond of pentax glass, but didn't like the (AF)bodies at that time.. the MZ-S seems to be an improvement again, would the *istD be similar?
I own a Nikon D100 currently, but this *istD would certainly make me consider switching back again..
I read that the CCD is the same?
I would love to get my hands on an early model to test the pants out of it...

Anonymous

Link Posted 09/08/2003 - 22:56
Just to keep this thread running a little longer ....

Excellent news to see the full specifications now on the main web site. Splendid news to see the ISO range of 200 to 3200. That's great news as I've got some very low light shooting lined up already.

It's a shame it has been delayed a little further since reading all those specs makes me want to get my hands on a real one even sooner

Can't wait! (Peter, can you let us all know when we can actually buy them?!)

Matt

Anonymous

Link Posted 31/08/2003 - 14:29
Just seen bad news..... estimated price of istD* in USA is expected to be 1.699$.
I think that is way too much because Canon Will sell their EOS300D for 899$. It looks like Pentax is loosing the game unfortunately for all of us

MattMatic

Link Posted 01/09/2003 - 11:06
Just seen the news on DPReview...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03082903pentaxukistdprice.asp

Oh dear. What a pain. The "under £1000" that Peter mentioned is obviously not to be £1400 is significantly higher than that intention. I know that the "street price" is often lower, but this is a real shame given the placing of the competitor products...

It's going to have to prove itself to warrant that outlay.

Time for careful thought, and probably more of a wait.
Matt

Anonymous

Link Posted 01/09/2003 - 13:34
Yeah waiting..... but I“m afraid that Pentax will lose the battle permanently if they wont“t catch the pace of Canon. They won“t have enough financial resources if people wont“t buy their products. Just like is happening on a computer graphical cards market.

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 02/09/2003 - 09:39
Having just handled the Pentax briefly (I will be getting one in the next few weeks) I can confirm it does feel substantially well built and is smaller than the rest. I do think it's expensive though at £1400 body only, but you shouldn't compare it with the EOS 300D it's more in the league of the EOS 10D. The new Olympus E1 will have a body price of around £1400 too and no doubt both will drop in price when they appear in the shops soon.

MattMatic

Link Posted 03/09/2003 - 09:06
Peter,

Are you inspiring jealousy "I will be getting one in the next few weeks"...?

Seriously, though, I take your point that it's more in the league of the 10D - and I should hope so too given the wait

I'll be looking forward to more reviews and more wonderful images (the Pentax ones were superb).

Matt

Anonymous

Link Posted 03/09/2003 - 14:44
Just by way of comparison, and remembering the *istD uses the same sensor as the Nikon D100...

(List prices taken from Park Cameras web site)

£1700 Nikon D100
£1500 Canon 10D
£1700 Fuji S2

So, from a list price point of view, the Pentax is competitively priced. Yet, the fact is that all three bodies sell for £1350, £1260, and £1250 respectively. As long as the actual price of the *istD compares favourably with those margins, it'll still be a very attractive option.

It's a shame the Canon 300D will skew the market a bit, but then you only get what you pay for...

Oh yes, and then totting up the cost of the Pentax compatible equipment I already have... yikes! It's more than I thought!

Next question, when and where can I get my hands on one???

Matt

(sorry for all these postings... it would be nice to be able to edit previous ramblings...)

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2003 - 18:40
The new Canon actually introduces yet another incompatible Canon mount!

I will stick to my (broadly) compatible Pentax lenses and will certainly be looking to purchase the new *istD. Hopefully, the new Canon camera will at the very least cause a downwards pressure on pricing generally. We shall see.
Best regards, John

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 07/09/2003 - 09:52
We now have the *ist D in the office. On first impressions, I'm impressed. It's certainly light but doesn't feel too plastic. certainly more substantial than the EOS 300D. I'm planning to have a review in the next issue of the mag which will be finished in the next week or so.

Anonymous

Link Posted 09/09/2003 - 04:31
Wow!! Things are becoming more and more exciting. I am certainly one of the many who is eagerly awaiting to put my hands on one!

I agree with a previous poster citing that you can't compare *istD with EOS300D. It's more on the league of D100 and EOS10D. IMO, at within £1400 it is still an attractive price considering the pricing of EOS10D and D100... not to mention the total cost of the excellent Pentax glasses and accessories I already own

I just wished the *ist-D could have been the MZ-S body design!!!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.