Simple bodge to use IR remote from behind camera

OldTaffy

Link Posted 29/05/2022 - 13:09
My K-S2 has its sensor for infrared remote control at the front, like many other recent Pentax DSLRs . Annoyingly one needs to have the IR remote in front of the camera to get it to work. The camera will just about pick up the IR signal up to about 90 degrees on the 'starboard' side. A big lens will block any signal from the 'port' side.

I have been using a simple bit of shiny aluminium kitchen foil to reflect the IR signal when catching some images of the birds on our bird table. Clag a scrap of foil to the inside of the grip with blutack or sticky tape, bend it around enough to stick out a bit at the side at an angle that will reflect an IR signal from astern back onto the sensor. See attached photo.

Now I can sit in comfort with a mug of coffee, camera on tripod pointing out of the window, and click the shutter from my chair when I see something interesting on the bird feeder

A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 29/05/2022 - 19:01
Why not use the Image Sync app as a remote control?

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download/app/image-sync/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ricohimaging.imagesync&gl=US
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3 iii now, had a K-S2 and so suffering from a relapse and buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

OldTaffy

Link Posted 29/05/2022 - 20:05
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:

Because I don't have anything that will handle the app. I don't own, nor want, a smartphone

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 29/05/2022 - 20:10
OldTaffy wrote:
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:

Because I don't have anything that will handle the app. I don't own, nor want, a smartphone

Fair enough!
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3 iii now, had a K-S2 and so suffering from a relapse and buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

pentaxian450

Link Posted 01/06/2022 - 01:00
It is also very easy to do a corded remote with a 2.5 mm audio male connector and a simple contact switch. With such a remote, you can put almost as much wire length as you want (within reeason), and it is never hit or miss. Corded remotess are the most reliable system one can use. You could also use a stereo 2.5 mm audio male connecteer with a three position contact swith and also activate the AF.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Flan

Link Posted 01/06/2022 - 13:46
pentaxian450 wrote:
It is also very easy to do a corded remote with a 2.5 mm audio male connector and a simple contact switch. With such a remote, you can put almost as much wire length as you want (within reeason), and it is never hit or miss. Corded remotess are the most reliable system one can use. You could also use a stereo 2.5 mm audio male connecteer with a three position contact swith and also activate the AF.

Thanks pentaxian450. Thatís very helpful for me at least. I presume this will work on the KIii also and the k70?

Aitch53

Link Posted 01/06/2022 - 17:12
Or put a small mirror (shaving mirror? Borrow one of your other half's compacts?) on the window sill, angled to reflect the light to the remote-sensor?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

OldTaffy

Link Posted 01/06/2022 - 18:33
pentaxian450 wrote:

Thanks, most useful info. Wired remote would be ideal.

You don't say which models of Pentax dslrs allow this. The K-S2 is a rather odd beast. It has a 3.5mm (not 2.5 mm) receptacle for an auxiliary microphone input, but no other audio jack-plug socket. There are miniature HDMI and USB connectors, but these are primarily for downloading images to a computer or when operating in live view (not recommended if the camera is left on for long periods of time).

Surely the external mic input will not double as a wired remote input - or will it? I hesitate to try!

Regards, Martin.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 02/06/2022 - 00:19
The mic connector doesn't act as a romote connector. All the Pentax DSLR cameras I've had (K-10, K-20, K7, K3 and K3 III) all had a separate jack for the wired remote. However, the Pentax corded remote is expensive and short, so I made my own. I've also made "special" wire connectors to use with my Gigapan Pro V (the wire that comes with it didn't support AF) and one for the Manfrotto MVG 460 gimbal. Unfortunately, it seems like the K-S2 doesn't have a jack for a wired remote (what a shame). However, if anybody wants to learn how to make those wired remotes, just let me know, and I'll try my best to explain how to do them.
Last Edited by pentaxian450 on 02/06/2022 - 00:20

coker

Link Posted 02/06/2022 - 09:07
Thanks, that would be most interesting, for use with my macro work!

Coker.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

neiljgriffs

Link Posted 02/06/2022 - 12:22
K-70 uses mic port for shutter remote, dont know about any others k-r hasn't got a mic port
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.