Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photography Online

RobL
Posted 04/06/2022 - 13:37 Link
I don’t know if anyone else is familiar with this YouTube channel from the Isle of Skye but I have had a bit of a fall-out with them. They are running an occasional test to find the sharpest camera, starting with the Canon EOS 5 mark IV; the second body they compared was the Pentax K1 mark II using the same third party lens with different mounts and both on a tripod, manual focus. It is obvious from subsequent comparisons they don’t bother familiarising with the cameras until ready to shoot, so they tried it in pixel-shift. Unsurprisingly the shot of buildings across a harbour showed aberrations in the moving waves so the camera and PS were immediately trashed. When I said they should have tried a straightforward shot the response I got was that the result was so bad it wasn’t even worth showing. Can it be really so bad compared to the best from Canon and Nikon?
Edited by RobL: 04/06/2022 - 13:40
Posted 04/06/2022 - 14:37 Link
Yes I have in the past (quite a few months ago now) watched a couple of their vid's on youtube but I wasn't particularly impressed so avoided their listings. Even I thought they were newbies so looked elsewhere.
Waggy
Posted 05/06/2022 - 12:04 Link
I've really enjoyed a lot of the Photography Online content - so I was looking forward to them testing the Penyax K1, but I too was really shocked that they didn't regard it as anywhere near the standard of some other cameras in terms of capturing detail.

I've always had an eye on one day upgraing to Full Frame Pentax - so I was really disapointed in their findings - as I can't see any reason to doubt what they discovered....

But agreed, they should have just tested it without the pixel shift too.
Richard
Chrism8
Posted 05/06/2022 - 12:50 Link
Waggy wrote:
I've always had an eye on one day upgraing to Full Frame Pentax - so I was really disapointed in their findings - as I can't see any reason to doubt what they discovered....

The K1 is well capable of capturing detail, the below is a 215% crop from pretty much the original shot last Friday ( cropped section highlighted )

K1 - 100 ISO - F2.8 - 1/1600 sec Handheld - DFA* 70 - 200 @ 200mm

Comment Image

Comment Image
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Edited by Chrism8: 05/06/2022 - 12:52
Mike-P
Posted 05/06/2022 - 13:00 Link
I often crop 100% when shooting birds with the K-1 and the detail is outstanding most of the time.

I don't understand why anyone would use pixelshift with anything remotely likely to move in the frame ... of course it's going to cause problems.
LongTimeLurker
Posted 05/06/2022 - 13:56 Link
There are two trueisms regarding the Internet.

1. Don't get into an argument with someone on the Internet.

2. The Internet is full of people arguing.

There are groups, such as ours here, where we can discuss creatively and disagree respectfully about our chosen subject. There are some people, no matter what, will tell you their view is correct and, if you don't agree, you are wrong. Stick with us Rob and your time online will be better spent

If I may throw my view in to the pot, so to speak, there are no bad cameras out there and not one of them will help me become a better photographer. Many so-called reviews on YouTube are nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at gaining clicks and likes.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Chrism8
Posted 05/06/2022 - 14:59 Link
LongTimeLurker wrote:
Many so-called reviews on YouTube are nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at gaining clicks and likes.

+1
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Flan
Posted 05/06/2022 - 18:02 Link
+2 Longtimelurker.
youtube is fantastic and I've a few favourites regarding photography and many more to discover.
im just too long in the tooth though, for comparisons or recommendations by chancers.
I find the people who blog and youtube channel who are genuinely passionate might love a like or subscription but they also love photography first and foremost and this usually shines through and many of the good ones shoot Nikon,Canon, Fuji, etc but i don't mind as they are sharing a wealth of knowledge regarding how they achieve some amazing photographs.
So there possibly is an opening for someone to shoot with Pentax on youtube channel and let the results speak
for themselves but just in a photographic way not solely about Pentax as such, that after all was only the tools they used
cardiffgareth
Posted 10/06/2022 - 21:30 Link
Well I have zero complaints! The rule know your gear comes to mind before making YT videos!

Fools!
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 13/06/2022 - 08:56 Link
There are quite a few wildlife photography vlogs that I like to watch on youtube, however there are also a few posting on YouTube telling you that they will show you how to better your images then whip out £16,000 of gear.

Graham

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.