Sigma vs Tamron
Posted 15/07/2011 - 21:14
Link
I've never used the Sigma 18-250mm, but I have the 18-55 kit lens and 70-300 Tamron (albeit it 4-year old versions of them). When these were the only two lenses I owned (because I bought them with the camera), I found myself needing to change over lenses all the time, and usually at an inconvenient moment when my subject wouldn't wait for me. At the time I would have killed for an 18-250mm lens, and I'm still wondering if I should get one. These days I have the same issue with the DA*16-50mm and DA*50-135mm lenses - I've got better at using my legs, and on pre-visualising the kind of shots I want to take (and therefore ensuring I get the right lens on there to start with).
EM
EM
Posted 16/07/2011 - 02:13
Link
My original dSLR kit was the K20D, 360AF, DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4. I now use a Tamron 10-24 more than the DA10-17, but otherwise that's still my most-used kit, 210+ lenses later. I've tried a two-lens kit of DA18-55 and Tamron 60-300 but such just interferes with all my shooting in the 30-70 range. I hate swapping lenses at 50mm.
I can't comment on the Sigma 18-250 other than to repeat hearsay of QC problems. I *can* heartily recommend the DA18-250 or its Tamron twin, both out of production but still available. The DA18-250 is my basic lens; all my others are specialty tools. If I know what I'm getting into, I'll use those specials. If I expect uncertainty, it's the DA18-250.
I can't comment on the Sigma 18-250 other than to repeat hearsay of QC problems. I *can* heartily recommend the DA18-250 or its Tamron twin, both out of production but still available. The DA18-250 is my basic lens; all my others are specialty tools. If I know what I'm getting into, I'll use those specials. If I expect uncertainty, it's the DA18-250.
:
: Too many film & digital cameras & lenses, oh my!
:
: Too many film & digital cameras & lenses, oh my!
:
Posted 16/07/2011 - 13:27
Link
For IQ check out my gallery on here.
I use a Tamron 18-250 as a walkabout/holiday lens and have not been dissapointed.
As for the Sigma, sorry I can't help you there.
I use a Tamron 18-250 as a walkabout/holiday lens and have not been dissapointed.
As for the Sigma, sorry I can't help you there.
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 16/07/2011 - 13:30
Link
I've ordered the Sigma lens, been up since 6:30 reading reviews of that and other lenses in that range it seems to fair well, I will see when it arrives
Body: Pentax K-r & K-3 + D-BG5 Battery Grip
Lens: Pentax 18-55mm L - Pentax 18-55mm AL WR - HD PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 - Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM - Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Kenko 2x Teleplus
Flash: AF-360FGZ
Lens: Pentax 18-55mm L - Pentax 18-55mm AL WR - HD PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 - Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM - Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Kenko 2x Teleplus
Flash: AF-360FGZ
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


32 posts
15 years
If I get it I will need to order it tomorrow so any advice would be welcome
Lens: Pentax 18-55mm L - Pentax 18-55mm AL WR - HD PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 - Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM - Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM - Kenko 2x Teleplus
Flash: AF-360FGZ