Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sigma macro for K-x

trixie
Posted 18/08/2011 - 19:47 Link
I have seen a sigma 200mm 1.3 5-4 F35-135mm macro quite cheap, and I would like to buy it, don't want to get it yet in case it wont fit on my K-x camera, I hope someone will let me know if it will fit, ant=y advice please, always appreciate you help and tips, thank you. Cheers Trixie :
[[quote]Trixie xx If at first you don't succeed, try, try again,then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. W. C Fields.
claudefrog
Posted 19/08/2011 - 11:06 - Helpful Comment Link
As long as the Sigma is a PK mount then it will fit. Can you not ask the shop what fitment it is?
Pentax k-5
Metz 50 AF-1
Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4
Sigma 70mm 2.8 MACRO
Sigma 17mm-70mm F2.8 - 4
Pentax 18mm-55mm f3.5-56 DA WR
Pentax 50mm-200mm f3.5-5.6 DA WR
prsjnb
Posted 19/08/2011 - 11:25 - Helpful Comment Link
I presume you mean this, Trixie: link

Providing it is the K-mount version, it will work with your K-x (Av mode) focussing will be entirely manual: not necessarily a bad thing but something you need to be aware of. If the crop factor of the K-x sensor is taken into account (approximately 1.5x), it will give a field of view roughly equivalent to that of a 50-105mm zoom lens.

It is an old and heavy lens, potentially making it a poor match, in terms of handling, for the K-x, and without careful use is unlikely to produce images that will prove less than satisfactory for anything other than small prints. Neither is it a 'macro lens' in anything other than name: a more accurate description being 'close focus' (around 1:4 at the most).

The questions that beg to be answered are, therefore, what would be your main use(s) for this lens and how cheap is "quite cheap"? If the answer to the first is macro photography, it is definitely not for you. In terms of value, I would estimate somewhere in the region of £20.00 for an example in 'mint', or very nearly so, condition, but other forum members with experience of having used this lens would be able to give a better estimate of its potential worth.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Jon
trixie
Posted 19/08/2011 - 17:45 Link
prsjnb wrote:
I presume you mean this, Trixie: link

Providing it is the K-mount version, it will work with your K-x (Av mode) focussing will be entirely manual: not necessarily a bad thing but something you need to be aware of. If the crop factor of the K-x sensor is taken into account (approximately 1.5x), it will give a field of view roughly equivalent to that of a 50-105mm zoom lens.

It is an old and heavy lens, potentially making it a poor match, in terms of handling, for the K-x, and without careful use is unlikely to produce images that will prove less than satisfactory for anything other than small prints. Neither is it a 'macro lens' in anything other than name: a more accurate description being 'close focus' (around 1:4 at the most).

The questions that beg to be answered are, therefore, what would be your main use(s) for this lens and how cheap is "quite cheap"? If the answer to the first is macro photography, it is definitely not for you. In terms of value, I would estimate somewhere in the region of £20.00 for an example in 'mint', or very nearly so, condition, but other forum members with experience of having used this lens would be able to give a better estimate of its potential worth.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Jon

Thanks Jon, yes your quite right it is a macro in name only, I have had a look and bought it, £12.00 didn't think it was a bad price, it is a bit on the heavy side, but if I use it properly I wont tip the camera over, I thought the price was ok just to start out with.Always good to ask on here first, I'll probably not use it too much just want to get the feel of changing lens etc. I'll drop loads of hints for a Christmas present Eh! Thanks again for your help. Best wishes Trixie
[[quote]Trixie xx If at first you don't succeed, try, try again,then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. W. C Fields.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.