Sigma

JAK

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 18:48
I'm thinking most Pentax users are buying Pentax lenses which means Sigma have a lot of K mount lenses to get rid of and they have no wish to make matters worse. I'd feel the same if I was Sigma. Buy them or loose them.
It is worth considering that Pentax cameras have correction profiles for Pentax lenses but not for Sigma ones. Sigma's 8-16 doesn't even report the wider focal lengths to the camera.
If it's Sigma lenses people want, buy a Sigma DSLR or mirrorless. Problem solved. But would you expect to get Pentax lenses for it or moan if you can't?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 22/09/2019 - 19:08

Anstonian

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 19:03
Reality is what it is, fella. Maybe if we got a little positivity out of Pentax we could all join your "happy place".
Andrew Goble

pschlute

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 19:06
Anstonian wrote:
Reality is what it is, fella. Maybe if we got a little positivity out of Pentax we could all join your "happy place".

I rest my case.

Years of moaning "I need a new aps-c flagship"

Flagship announced.....

followed by moans about lenses
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 19:11
If anyone feels Pentax is such an awful system consider why are you supporting it by buying their cameras in preference to other marques? Nothing's basically changed in the last thirty years, or make that 50 if just considering the K mount. Other marques can't boast that.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 22/09/2019 - 19:16

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 19:22
No moans about Pentax from me....

,,,one of the broadest ranges of DSLR formats, one of the best ranges of APS-C lenses, entry into the Full-Frame arena with a great camera and a slowly growing range of quality lenses. Pentax are not all things to all people - they are not Video kings, they may not have the fastest or most complex AF system, but for IQ, build quality, outdoor use - all the things I value - they are superb!

Anyone who needs the extremes of lenses has the option of Nikon or Canon, but how many of us really need anything more than Pentax offer?

I won't be buying the new APS-C model but I'm pleased they are showing commitment to APS-C, and FF and MF
LennyBloke

DOIK

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 19:24

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/09/2019 - 10:09
JAK wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I have to say this is a big blow to Pentax, despite what some say. They provide some lenses that have been very popular indeed (17-50/2.8, 10-20 etc) and which don't really have an equivalent from Pentax or another third party make, die to either significant price or quality difference.

I believe those lenses are still available brand new from retailers if you wish to buy them. Do you want links for them?

The point is that they won't be available much longer. I have the 17-50mm and it's a great lens but if it ever gets stolen or breaks I may not be able to replace it. New users won't even get the option of buying a new copy.

JAK wrote:
I'm thinking most Pentax users are buying Pentax lenses which means Sigma have a lot of K mount lenses to get rid of and they have no wish to make matters worse. I'd feel the same if I was Sigma. Buy them or loose them.
It is worth considering that Pentax cameras have correction profiles for Pentax lenses but not for Sigma ones. Sigma's 8-16 doesn't even report the wider focal lengths to the camera.
If it's Sigma lenses people want, buy a Sigma DSLR or mirrorless. Problem solved. But would you expect to get Pentax lenses for it or moan if you can't?

I think Sigma have dropped their SLR mount as they are putting all their weight behind their FF mirrorless mount with Leica and Panasonic.

People with Pentax cameras and Sigma lenses, such as myself, don't want just Sigma lenses, they want Sigma lenses and Pentax lenses to use on their Pentax cameras, thereby putting together a system they're happy with and which covers their needs.

JAK wrote:
If anyone feels Pentax is such an awful system consider why are you supporting it by buying their cameras in preference to other marques? Nothing's basically changed in the last thirty years, or make that 50 if just considering the K mount. Other marques can't boast that.

Pentax isn't an awful system at all, far from it, but with the removal of support from Sigma it's a lesser system than it used to be. Less choice = lesser system. I don't think there's any arguing about that.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

JAK

Link Posted 23/09/2019 - 11:25
Maybe Sigma are about to join the likes of Woolworths, Jessops, BHS, Thomas Cook etc. cutting back to the bone to try and keep solvent.
Sigma is doomed! (It isn't Pentax stopping new lenses and cameras after all.)
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 23/09/2019 - 11:26

dcweather

Link Posted 24/09/2019 - 11:03
I have always been a keen bird and wildlife watcher. In the last 5 years there has been an explosion of wildlife photographers, many who know little about wildlife and have given a bad name to wildlife photographers. I believe this explosion in this area of the market is in part due to the popularity of "Blue Planet" and "Springwatch" type programmes plus the ability with a long lens and the crop factor of an APS-C DSLR to get excellent results. This is a massive growing market and where the users always want more. Not that many want mirrorless. This is where Pentax could expand (or should have) . The problem is with being dropped by SIgma and Tamron is that they have managed to produce high quality zooms that go to 600mm for considerably less than a thousand pounds. Nikon has a very good 200-500mm in that price range as well. The old Sigma 50-500mm isn't as sharp at the long end as these new lenses. The Pentax 150-450mm is probably best option now but it is nearer 2k than 1k. Then of course there is the thorny issue of AF. For everything else my K3 is fine, and the lenses are there.
So, if the new camera has cracked the AF issues and Pentax itself can make a sub-1000 decent quality zoom to 600mm then I see no reason why it couldn't maintain or increase its position in the APS-C market.

michaelblue

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 13:30
pschlute wrote:
Anyone got a rusty razor blade , I feel like slashing my wrists listening to all this dull negativity.

The evening nights must just fly by at some of your houses

Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

dcweather

Link Posted 15/10/2019 - 00:24
ronniemac wrote:
Hi Andrew.

The ongoing myth about there not being sufficient Pentax lenses doesn't hold much water with me. (and of course most of the new lenses are WR!). There exists all the APS-C lenses that almost all of us want, currently in production.

So my question is, which lenses are you waiting for?

The equivalent of the Sigma 150-600mm, Tamron 150-600mm for under a thousand pounds but matching their speed of focusing and image quality?

michaelblue

Link Posted 15/10/2019 - 06:57
dcweather wrote:
I have always been a keen bird and wildlife watcher. In the last 5 years there has been an explosion of wildlife photographers, many who know little about wildlife and have given a bad name to wildlife photographers. I believe this explosion in this area of the market is in part due to the popularity of "Blue Planet" and "Springwatch" type programmes plus the ability with a long lens and the crop factor of an APS-C DSLR to get excellent results. This is a massive growing market and where the users always want more. Not that many want mirrorless. This is where Pentax could expand (or should have) . The problem is with being dropped by SIgma and Tamron is that they have managed to produce high quality zooms that go to 600mm for considerably less than a thousand pounds. Nikon has a very good 200-500mm in that price range as well. The old Sigma 50-500mm isn't as sharp at the long end as these new lenses. The Pentax 150-450mm is probably best option now but it is nearer 2k than 1k. Then of course there is the thorny issue of AF. For everything else my K3 is fine, and the lenses are there.
So, if the new camera has cracked the AF issues and Pentax itself can make a sub-1000 decent quality zoom to 600mm then I see no reason why it couldn't maintain or increase its position in the APS-C market.

If only.......
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.