Sigma 50-500 or 150-500
Posted 11/06/2012 - 19:29
Link
I've recently got the 150-500 which has been performing rather well on it's initial trials. If your not likely to use the shorter focal lengths, I think this would be the better option for you. It's lighter & Cheaper, and physics suggests the optics should be easier to produce in a well corrected form. (Longer focal ranges are more complicated to correct)
IQ from the images I've seen in galleries seems to be good for both.
BTW as my initials are MAK I'd like to know where the K10 has got to. I didn't know I'd inherited anything.
IQ from the images I've seen in galleries seems to be good for both.
BTW as my initials are MAK I'd like to know where the K10 has got to. I didn't know I'd inherited anything.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 11/06/2012 - 19:48
Link
Hi Mike
Sorry another MAK (Daughter) and she doesn't have a beard.The 150-500 is heavy enough especially trekking to sites.
With your pseudonym I hope you are not tied up with the bad goings on at Coryton.
thanks
Cedric
Sorry another MAK (Daughter) and she doesn't have a beard.The 150-500 is heavy enough especially trekking to sites.
With your pseudonym I hope you are not tied up with the bad goings on at Coryton.
thanks
Cedric
Enjoy life
Posted 11/06/2012 - 20:24
Link
cedricd wrote:
Hi Mike
Sorry another MAK (Daughter) and she doesn't have a beard.The 150-500 is heavy enough especially trekking to sites.
With your pseudonym I hope you are not tied up with the bad goings on at Coryton.
thanks
Cedric
I thought perhaps there must be another MAK (though my beard went years ago). I'm sure your daughter will make better use of it than I would, the K10 doesn't offer any advantages over my K7 that I'm aware off.Hi Mike
Sorry another MAK (Daughter) and she doesn't have a beard.The 150-500 is heavy enough especially trekking to sites.
With your pseudonym I hope you are not tied up with the bad goings on at Coryton.
thanks
Cedric
Agreed the Bigmos is heavy, having only used mine handheld so far, it's rapidly become noticeable waiting for a gold finch to take wing - naturally he kept me waiting for over 5 minutes keeping to a single (much photographed) pose, then left whilst I was taking a rest - but the Bigma is heavier still...
No not involved at Croyton (thank heavens!) I'm at the other end of the county in a refinery too small to show on any of the news reports of dwindling refineries.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 11/06/2012 - 20:54
Link
Mike-P wrote:
I have the older non OS version of the 50-500mm and after a days use I am always surprised by how often I use 50mm.
Ditto.I have the older non OS version of the 50-500mm and after a days use I am always surprised by how often I use 50mm.
I don't find it that heavy to carry either. Admittedly I don't sit for ages waiting for a bird shot, but I really am quite comfortable with it.
Posted 11/06/2012 - 21:45
Link
Wonder how much the Royal Enfield is worth? The argument seems to be heading in the direction of the 50-500.
Mike next time at your refinery (end of the month) I will look out for someone without a beard.
Mike next time at your refinery (end of the month) I will look out for someone without a beard.
Enjoy life
Posted 11/06/2012 - 22:15
Link
Actually managed to use mine on Saturday when we had a 2 hour window of sunshine.
500mm

Kitesurfer at Mudeford Quay by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
50mm

Mudeford Quay by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
500mm

Kitesurfer at Mudeford Quay by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
50mm

Mudeford Quay by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
Posted 11/06/2012 - 22:44
Link
cedricd wrote:
Mike next time at your refinery (end of the month) I will look out for someone without a beard.
If your visiting Harwich give me a PM & I'll try to have the bigmos available to play with. But I'll be out on the 22nd & 25th as I'm working the weekend at the Croft BTCC race.
Mike next time at your refinery (end of the month) I will look out for someone without a beard.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 12/06/2012 - 17:29
Link
I had the 150-500 and really loved it, but ALWAYS had to take wider lenses 16-50 + 50-135 with me and the 150-500 is a Big and Heavy lens to keep Lens changing with. So I sold it and bought the Bigma (not really much bigger or heavier and just as good IQ), I can now if I want go out with just the one lens and get "almost" all the shots I want.I bought a BushHawk shoulderpod which is great and makes carrying and holding the camera/lens steady much easier.
Bill
K5+Bigma+BushHawk Shoulderpod.
K5+16-50DA* + 10-17DA Fisheye + 50-135DA* + Sigma 70mm Macro + DA35 2.4..
Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixellie/
K5+Bigma+BushHawk Shoulderpod.
K5+16-50DA* + 10-17DA Fisheye + 50-135DA* + Sigma 70mm Macro + DA35 2.4..
Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixellie/
Posted 12/06/2012 - 18:23
Link
Thanks everyone, Mike P, there`s nothing wrong with those pix.
MAK I will try and remember to drop you a PM later in the month.
MAK I will try and remember to drop you a PM later in the month.
Enjoy life
Posted 12/06/2012 - 18:44
Link
Im a 150 500 shooter and have also used the 50 500 as well. I didnt detect any difference especially at the long end.
Please look at my photos on Flickr - I've even done macro with it!
Please look at my photos on Flickr - I've even done macro with it!
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Check out ones photographs on Flickr!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1076 posts
17 years
East Suffolk
Thanks Cedric