Sigma 120-400mm
Posted 12/02/2009 - 15:16
Link
There isn't a firmware version 1.03 for K100D, only up to 1.02.
Posted 12/02/2009 - 15:20
Link
This is an extract from an email received today , I had enquired about the 50-500mm and 120-400mm
Thank you for your E-mail. All lenses with HSM which includes the two lenses below will need to have your camera upgraded to version 1.03 to be able to function correctly. We would suggest contacting Pentax if you cannot find a link to this software upgrade for the camera. Hope this helps. Kind regards, XXXXX Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd13 Little Mundells
I dont want to shell out any money and end up with a lens that doesn't work straight off !!
Thank you for your E-mail. All lenses with HSM which includes the two lenses below will need to have your camera upgraded to version 1.03 to be able to function correctly. We would suggest contacting Pentax if you cannot find a link to this software upgrade for the camera. Hope this helps. Kind regards, XXXXX Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd13 Little Mundells
I dont want to shell out any money and end up with a lens that doesn't work straight off !!
Posted 12/02/2009 - 15:34
Link
microlight wrote:
I have a K100D (not the Super ). Sigma advise that to use a 120mm-400mm on my camera I need ver 1.03 firmware update. Can only find this reference for an IST DL update , is this correct or can someone provide the correct link.
Doesn't seem to be any updates since 2006 for the K100D.
I suggest you ring SRS and speak to them, if anyone knows it will be Chris
I have a K100D (not the Super ). Sigma advise that to use a 120mm-400mm on my camera I need ver 1.03 firmware update. Can only find this reference for an IST DL update , is this correct or can someone provide the correct link.
Doesn't seem to be any updates since 2006 for the K100D.
Tel,
Posted 12/02/2009 - 15:41
Link
You could still use the lens. But it would be Manual Focus only. The HSM focussing system will not work with a K100D, it would with the super.
Pentax SDM lenses would work using screw drive from Camera, but the K100D couldn't utilise the sonic drive motor.
However the sigma doesn't even allow a screw drive. So Manual only.
Sorry
Ian
Pentax SDM lenses would work using screw drive from Camera, but the K100D couldn't utilise the sonic drive motor.
However the sigma doesn't even allow a screw drive. So Manual only.
Sorry
Ian
Posted 12/02/2009 - 15:44
Link
Just had an email from Pentax UK who advise their is no update ver 1.03 only 1.02 and dont mention any subsequent reference to the 120-400mm. They dont say yes or no if you need any upgrade of the firmware !
Sounds like someone doesn't know whats what somewhere down the line. Doesn't give you much faith in buying the Sigma then , you either need an update or you dont.
Sounds like someone doesn't know whats what somewhere down the line. Doesn't give you much faith in buying the Sigma then , you either need an update or you dont.
Posted 12/02/2009 - 15:49
Link
It's a lot of money if you can only use it for manual.
You're right; all this faffing around doesn't exactly inspire confidence
You're right; all this faffing around doesn't exactly inspire confidence
Posted 12/02/2009 - 18:47
Link
You are aware that Sigma lenses have just gone up by quite a lot? This lens is now £599 at SRS (everyone will have put their prices up).
If you can still get one at the pre-price increase price then it may be worth it if you are planning on upgrading your body in the future.
If you can still get one at the pre-price increase price then it may be worth it if you are planning on upgrading your body in the future.
Posted 12/02/2009 - 20:27
Link
microlight wrote:
Just had an email from Pentax UK who advise their is no update ver 1.03 only 1.02 and dont mention any subsequent reference to the 120-400mm. They dont say yes or no if you need any upgrade of the firmware !
I am not surprised they didn't mention the sigma lens as they can't comment on another manufacturers products; they would have made a comment if it had been a Pentax lens you were enquiring about. Just had an email from Pentax UK who advise their is no update ver 1.03 only 1.02 and dont mention any subsequent reference to the 120-400mm. They dont say yes or no if you need any upgrade of the firmware !
Andy
Andy
Posted 12/02/2009 - 20:55
Link
microlight wrote:
I have a K100D (not the Super ). Sigma advise that to use a 120mm-400mm on my camera I need ver 1.03 firmware update. Can only find this reference for an IST DL update , is this correct or can someone provide the correct link.
Doesn't seem to be any updates since 2006 for the K100D.
As far as i know only the K100D Super will operate with HSM lenses. Unless the lense also has the mechanical focus drive then a K100 would use that system. i think they are getting confused with the K10D Which you have to upgrade the firmware to Version 1.30 to make it compatable with HSM focus lenses. anyway that's what i had to do make the Pentax 17-70 work
I have a K100D (not the Super ). Sigma advise that to use a 120mm-400mm on my camera I need ver 1.03 firmware update. Can only find this reference for an IST DL update , is this correct or can someone provide the correct link.
Doesn't seem to be any updates since 2006 for the K100D.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 12/02/2009 - 21:01
Link
Thanks for the responses , can We assume then that the K200D will work with these Sigma lenses ?
Marvellous isn't that you can go and purchase cameras manufactured by the opposition and use lenses straight out of the box.
Its all very well Pentax having a reputation for their cameras being backwards compatible .... wouldn't mind them being a little bit future proof....
I've had ME Super / Program A / Super A /MZ5N /K100D so it shows how loyal I am , makes you wonder about swopping sometimes though
Marvellous isn't that you can go and purchase cameras manufactured by the opposition and use lenses straight out of the box.
Its all very well Pentax having a reputation for their cameras being backwards compatible .... wouldn't mind them being a little bit future proof....
I've had ME Super / Program A / Super A /MZ5N /K100D so it shows how loyal I am , makes you wonder about swopping sometimes though
Posted 12/02/2009 - 21:47
Link
microlight wrote:
Thanks for the responses , can We assume then that the K200D will work with these Sigma lenses ?
According to Bojidar they can use the SDM lenses, so presumably also the Sigma ones.Thanks for the responses , can We assume then that the K200D will work with these Sigma lenses ?
microlight wrote:
Marvellous isn't that you can go and purchase cameras manufactured by the opposition and use lenses straight out of the box.
Its all very well Pentax having a reputation for their cameras being backwards compatible .... wouldn't mind them being a little bit future proof....
I'm sorry to be rude but what a daft comment You don't expect an ME Super to have autofocus just because you put an autofocus lens on it so why expect the K100D to work with a third party HSM lens when it wasn't designed to use them? Part of the upgrade to the Super model was to allow them to use HSM/SDM lenses. As to upgrading the firmware, that is pretty common across the board as manufacturers rush out new models and then tweak them.Marvellous isn't that you can go and purchase cameras manufactured by the opposition and use lenses straight out of the box.
Its all very well Pentax having a reputation for their cameras being backwards compatible .... wouldn't mind them being a little bit future proof....
Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 12/02/2009 - 21:47
Link
Yes, you can use the K200D with one!
The trouble is, is that Pentax have come into the HSM/ SDM game later than most, (ie in the last 2 years!), so there is a transition period at the mo
Andy
The trouble is, is that Pentax have come into the HSM/ SDM game later than most, (ie in the last 2 years!), so there is a transition period at the mo
Andy
Andy
Posted 13/02/2009 - 07:59
Link
microlight wrote:
Thanks for the responses , can We assume then that the K200D will work with these Sigma lenses ?
Marvellous isn't that you can go and purchase cameras manufactured by the opposition and use lenses straight out of the box.
Its all very well Pentax having a reputation for their cameras being backwards compatible .... wouldn't mind them being a little bit future proof....
I've had ME Super / Program A / Super A /MZ5N /K100D so it shows how loyal I am , makes you wonder about swopping sometimes though
Loyalty from other manufacturers, back ward and forward compatible with lenses etc?Thanks for the responses , can We assume then that the K200D will work with these Sigma lenses ?
Marvellous isn't that you can go and purchase cameras manufactured by the opposition and use lenses straight out of the box.
Its all very well Pentax having a reputation for their cameras being backwards compatible .... wouldn't mind them being a little bit future proof....
I've had ME Super / Program A / Super A /MZ5N /K100D so it shows how loyal I am , makes you wonder about swopping sometimes though
I believe Pentax is the only one major producer has more forward/ backward compatibility
Than all the others put together.
Do some research and you will come to that conclusion.
Yes the K200 D works with SDM/HSM & any other lenses, also a thing to remember is until quite recently Sigma did not produce an HSM lens for Pentax fit, well after the K100d was first made.
Nikon D40/X will only work on auto with internal motor driven lenses as the D60.
Canon EOS fit lenses were a nightmare, you had to send Sigma and others to be re chipped to make them work .
So when it comes to Pentax they are the best for me, and I am not just saying that because I have and use Pentax.
I did change from Nikon.
Posted 13/02/2009 - 08:12
Link
One for Microlight,
If you want a longer lens for your K100 that will work on AF try a Sigma 400mm f5.6 prime lens, the APO version is very rare, but does come up for sale but commands a high price
I have got one of the 400mm Auto Focus ones.
I am also thinking of selling it, I maybe open to Good offers not silly ones.
ps in my gallery the helecopter shot done with this lens.
If you want a longer lens for your K100 that will work on AF try a Sigma 400mm f5.6 prime lens, the APO version is very rare, but does come up for sale but commands a high price
I have got one of the 400mm Auto Focus ones.
I am also thinking of selling it, I maybe open to Good offers not silly ones.
ps in my gallery the helecopter shot done with this lens.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


32 posts
19 years
uk
Doesn't seem to be any updates since 2006 for the K100D.