Dust - AAARGH!

Oggy

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:57
I am having awful problems with dust on the sensor on my K20D. I use the shaker to get rid of it then a couple of days later I get some more.

It always seems to be toward the top left, top right and bottom right corners, although not in the same positions. I am always scrupulous with body and lens caps and covers and do my best to keep things clean.

Any advice?

Do people use the clean on switch-on option?

scottthehat

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:58
how do you see the dust,

Oggy

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 22:03
Dark specks on the pictures.

Last Edited by Oggy on 08/02/2009 - 22:13

scottthehat

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 22:07
oh right ok not on the dust alert then, and do you change lenses lots, i had to buy a sensor cleaning kit for my k200d i got a dry clean and wet clean, made by dust aid ,videos on utube, can buy from ebay about 50 for both kits worked a treat, dont change lenses no more keep my 18-200mm on my k20d and i will be putting my new 70-300mm on my k200d which is were it will stay.
Last Edited by scottthehat on 08/02/2009 - 22:08

Oggy

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 22:18
I do tend to change lenses a fair bit. Being a newbie to dslrs I experiment quite a bit.

In a perfect world, I'd have one body for my 50-135 DA*, one for my Sigma 150-500 and another for my kit lenses, but that requires 6 numbers on Saturday night

hefty1

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 22:45
Oggy wrote:
Do people use the clean on switch-on option?

Yes, always.

And I've never used anything stronger than a rocket blower - works a treat.
Joining the Q

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 01:02
maybe its in your lens not on your sensor?
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M

Mannesty

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 08:09
The dust will usually get on to your sensor in one of three ways.

1: Dusty environment during lens changes.
2: Dust already inside the lenses that you are using.
3: Dust already inside the camera.

Remedy for 1: There is none except move to a less dusty area when you want to change lenses. When you do, always keep the open body facing down to prevent falling debris from getting in.

Remedy for 2: Several really. The most expensive remedy is to always buy new lenses, but that is often not an option.
Before use, thoroughly clean, as best you can, any used lenses you might aquire. Use a Rocket blower on both ends of the lens, clean the body of the lens, and vaccum the body end to remove any loose dust, avoiding contact with the rear element.

Remedy for 3: Thorougly clean the inside of the mirror box with a Rocket blower and an Arctic Butterfly or similar with the mirror both raised and lowered. Raise the mirror and carefully vacuum if necessary but don't let the nozzle touch anything.

I've used the vacuum technique on old dirty film cameras. Use duct tape to secure a short length of a suitably sized silicon tube to the nozzle to get inside the mirror box, but again, don't let it touch anything. With care, you can even get up inside the prism to remove stubborn dust.

NOTE: If you do decide to use a vacuum on lens or body, make absolutely sure you are in a dust free environment. If not, the vacuum will simply draw dirty air into your camera. Ensure the vacuum cleaner's exhaust is not in the near vicinity, place it behind a door to the room you are working in if possible.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Gwyn

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 09:38
Make sure when you change lenses that the camera is switched off, and always point the camera downwards to minimise the chances of dust entering whilst changing lenses. It takes a bit of practice but then becomes second nature.
I haven't had any problems with the K20D yet - I have the sensor cleaning switched to on on switch on, but on my Ds I used my Arctic Butterfly brush very successfully.
If you do decide to go the liquid cleaning route ensure it is suitable for the K20D sensor as not all liquids are.

ttk

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 09:46

bigcog

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 11:17
this is timely. I have just got my first dust spot in my k10d, only noticable when you take pics where that part of the pic is light enough. I'll be trying the dust blower method today when I get a chance. I have the dust shake switched on for when you switch the camera on but its not shifting it.

the Arctic Butterfly thing. If I am reading and understanding right, its a brush with a charge in it that you run over the sensor, when you have put the mirror up?

Interesting point on second hand lenses, I just got one, and might be the reason, but the truth is I'm probably not as vigilant as I could be on lens changing so this is probably a lesson to me!
K10D - Pentax 18-55mm kit - Pentax DA 55-300mm - Pentax FA 50mm 1.4
MX - Pentax-M 50mm 1.7, Pentax-M 28mm 2.8, Pentax-M 100mm 2.8
My Flickr Photostream

Gwyn

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 12:13
bigcog, you choose sensor cleaning, mirror up, in the menu and then use the Butterfly, or whatever device you choose. Make sure you have a full battery in the camera first though.

Oggy

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 18:07
Thanks for the replies.

The dirt is not on the lens (although it may have come from the lens) as it is remains same position on different photos with different lenses.

I have always been a little cagey about blowing dust off, either at work or in my hobbies as I reckon you tend to re-arrange it rather than getting rid of it. I use a HEPA vacuum and put a piece of tube into the vacuum pipe so I have some, but not too much suck.

I think I am going to invest in some of those sticky pads.

golfdiesel

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 19:59
I haven't seen a single speck of dust on my K20D until now. My *ist-DS allways had plenty of it.
I don't use power-on cleaning, I use the sensor shaker every now and then manually.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

ttk

Link Posted 09/02/2009 - 20:15
Oggy wrote:

I think I am going to invest in some of those sticky pads.

Dust-Aid thats what I use gets the dust every time.
Tel,
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.