Should I come back to K mount?

kvx

Link Posted 06/08/2020 - 19:38
About 12 or so years ago I bought one of those Samsung's GX something as a way of getting to use my dad's old K mount lenses. After a couple of years I thought I'd set my sites on the likes of the K70 or K3 but what I really wanted was a full frame. Don't ask my why I just did. Sadly Pentax took too long and I jumped ship to buy Oly E-PM1 and kit lenses. Upgrades to OMD em5 MK1 couple of basic lenses and their pro 40-150 lens. I've been looking to upgrade that kit to something like the OMD 1 or even their EM1X and 12-40 pro.

Me and my dad share the lenses and as on same system. Unknown to either both are thinking of jumping back to Pentax.

I'd like to keep my current.

My dad is looking at the K70 and KP. Me the K1 MK2 with the 24-70.

With the oly I've sometimes wished for a bigger camera to grip.

What advice would you guys give?

Cheers

Chrism8

Link Posted 06/08/2020 - 20:03
Don't hestitate to jump, both the K1 matched with the 24 - 70 and the KP are superb.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/08/2020 - 20:47
Bit puzzled, if you left Pentax because you wanted full frame why did you move to a micro four thirds system?

Anyway, really depends on what you normally shoot ... wildlife and macro I would stick with Olympus for the reach, AF speed (not macro) and DOF (definately macro) they require but anything else then the K-1 and 24-70mm is an excellent starting point.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 06/08/2020 - 23:57
I agree with Mike, it is puzzling that you wanted full frame but then changed to a smaller format than Pentax's APS-C.

If you do want full frame, then then K-1 II is the obvious choice.
Best regards, John

JAK

Link Posted 07/08/2020 - 00:37
I find it handy to have the FF K-1 and other Pentax APS-C cameras that can natively share the same lenses and operationally share the same basic menu system.

Yes, why go down a sensor size when you were waiting for a larger one? Sounds bizarre.
John K

kvx

Link Posted 07/08/2020 - 07:16
Reason I went to Oly and I don't regret it as it's a good system with beautiful lenses, is I played a E410 or 420.

I'm wanting to shoot sunsets and landscapes.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 07/08/2020 - 09:16
Mike-P wrote:
Bit puzzled, if you left Pentax because you wanted full frame why did you move to a micro four thirds system?

Anyway, really depends on what you normally shoot ... wildlife and macro I would stick with Olympus for the reach, AF speed (not macro) and DOF (definately macro) they require but anything else then the K-1 and 24-70mm is an excellent starting point.

same here, I was expecting another Nikon defector, but I was astonished by Olympus.

You way you were looking at the Olympus - someone here correct me if I am wrong - the K70 was introduced later than the K-1 wasn't it?

Personally, I would stick with one system. K-1 does have a 16MP crop mode for that additional 'reach', IIRC Olympus cameras do not have a high MP count anyhow. Plenty of reasonably high quality low cost telephoto options for wildlife. So K-1 and 24-70 is the way to go.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

MrB

Link Posted 07/08/2020 - 17:58
The K-1 + D-FA 24-70 totals about 2 kilograms. So perhaps it might be worth considering whether you would be happy with carrying the significant increase in mass and bulk everywhere. after years of using an Olympus m4/3 setup.

Philip

RobL

Link Posted 07/08/2020 - 21:56
kvx wrote:
Reason I went to Oly and I don't regret it as it's a good system with beautiful lenses, is I played a E410 or 420.

I'm wanting to shoot sunsets and landscapes.

One of the benefits of a full frame for your subject matter is the wide dynamic range, being able to pull details out of shadows without noticeable noise. I donít know the technical reasons but I gather that the larger the sensor the better itís dynamic range and noise handling. Whilst the 24-70 is an excellent lens and a worthy workhorse a lighter alternative would be one or two primes like the f2.0 35mm.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 07/08/2020 - 22:10
Apsc may be the perfect compromise and , you can share lens, with your Dad, either new or , second user, FA or DA

AND of course the many legacy lens , useable , without an adapter.

The K1 is certainly a larger and heavier camera , and may take a few weeks , to adjust to the heft .and is heavier still with 2.8 lens and
lighter, with a smaller aperture lens , such as the excellent DFA 28-105 premium kit lens.

AND of course, DA lens can be used in crop mode.(K1).
Many options.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.