Has both WiFi and Bluetooth,

Dimensions are W.134.4mm
H. 103.5mm
D. 73.5mm

Has just been passed by US FCC

theonenadeem

Link Posted 31/07/2020 - 23:36
Similar in size to the KP.
Fairly remarkable considering the larger optical viewfinder.

stub

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 06:38
https://pentaxofficial.com/en/5848/?fbclid=IwAR2aqSTBArmK1wvaeYHU7eSb-nytNhjO0gq...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

RobL

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 07:36

Still under development? Surely it should be going into production by now for a launch soon.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 09:08
Won't it be under development until the first production items enter the distribution chain? Even when the hardware has been finalised, the software can be changed until the very last minute. I seem to remember some early reviews of previous cameras having the caveat the it had production software which may be changed in the production model.

Steve

Aitch53

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 09:56

Um, pushes the 'out cameras are the best because we only do DSLRs' idea very strongly.

It'slso a bit revisionist
Shigeru Wakashiro wrote:
With our past models, we always aimed at creating viewfinders that gave a pleasing view. To do this, we used pentaprism finders, even in our most reasonably priced APS-C-format SLR models.

Apart from some earlier models, which we'd rather forget, that used pentamirrors.

There's also
Shigeru Wakashiro wrote:
We’re also paying special attention to the optical viewfinder. We want to provide a view that inspires the photographer’s imagination, and also to make it easy and simple for photographers to compose an image, so they can fully enjoy and totally devote themselves to the picture-taking process.

Because photographers can't be inspired by a view unless it's through a viewfinder? And, of course, we all know it's impossible to compose a pic through any other kind of viewfinder.

Sorry, not impressed, it's just a semi-technical puff-piece.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

JAK

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 13:44
Quote:
Because photographers can't be inspired by a view unless it's through a viewfinder? And, of course, we all know it's impossible to compose a pic through any other kind of viewfinder.

For some that's absolutely true. Composing with a rear screen is nothing but pure guesswork!
I've enough experience of cameras and phones with just a rear screen to know that (for me) it's 100% true.
John K

Aitch53

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 14:10
JAK wrote:
Quote:

For some that's absolutely true. Composing with a rear screen is nothing but pure guesswork!
I've enough experience of cameras and phones with just a rear screen to know that (for me) it's 100% true.

Actually, I was meaning being inspired by looking AT the scene directly, with ones eyes, not via a viewscreen or viewfinder or whatever. Just looking. And composing can be done with a screen (some people have no problem) or an EVF, not just through a lump of glass/collection of mirrors.
SteveH!

JAK

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 18:04
They'd be alright if one could actually see what was on the screen! But in the meantime there's Pentax.
I really can't do differential focussing on a tiny EVF screen. sorry. And often not even see the view that the camera is seeing when the screen is drenched with sunlight. So sorry again.
Then you can't see what setting you have set. Sorry.
Do you want me to go on?
If EVFs had an optical eye level viewfinder and full proper controls like cameras used to have it would be a help. But we bought SLRs to overcome that, so why take a step backwards to what is effectively a simple point and shoot?
At least Pentax make proper cameras!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 01/08/2020 - 18:05

Aitch53

Link Posted 01/08/2020 - 19:53
JAK wrote:
They'd be alright if one could actually see what was on the screen! But in the meantime there's Pentax.
I really can't do differential focussing on a tiny EVF screen. sorry. And often not even see the view that the camera is seeing when the screen is drenched with sunlight. So sorry again.
Then you can't see what setting you have set. Sorry.
Do you want me to go on?
If EVFs had an optical eye level viewfinder and full proper controls like cameras used to have it would be a help. But we bought SLRs to overcome that, so why take a step backwards to what is effectively a simple point and shoot?
At least Pentax make proper cameras!

Sorry, that's rubbish.
An EVF screen is not much smaller, if at all, than the screen in a DSLR viewfinder.
You can usually set what information is added to the viewfinder.

Having re-read your reply - do you actually know what an EVF is? Rather than the screen on the back of a camera?
SteveH!

JAK

Link Posted 02/08/2020 - 01:36
Oh, you mean one of those laggy screens that other brands use where you see the action after it's happened? Just worse for a different reason. Better off with a 1950s style optical viewfinder (so long as not too close to get parallax issues.) At least you don't have to put the camera in burst mode and take 20 shots to get one if you're lucky which is what users of those do almost all the time.
People don't have to buy a DSLR with an optical viewfinder if they prefer something else do they? And vice versa.
I thought Pentax's aim is to have a hybrid system so you can take your pick, at least that's what they filed a patent for.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 02/08/2020 - 01:45

RobL

Link Posted 02/08/2020 - 08:29
The promotion so far is all about the new pentaprism, for which Ricoh are justifying with their campaign about how optical viewfinders allow more creativity - at least that’s what I think is being said. They have tried to find a way of countering the popularity of mirrorless without criticising which is sensible but it is going to need a much more dynamic and powerful promotion if this is to work, the critics won’t be as deferential and polite as what we have seen so far. Whilst this might be its unique selling feature the camera is going to need a whole package to make it competitive.

The approach might just work in the long term, much like Leica takes for its rangefinder M series with it’s purist message of being for serious photographers; who else would get away with cameras and a limited range of lenses these days costing thousands with manual focus only and an optical viewfinder?
Last Edited by RobL on 02/08/2020 - 08:31
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.