Shooting a birthday event - What camera settings please?

Don

Link Posted 07/03/2011 - 16:34
the best advice I have for you is this... whatever mode you choose to use (I find manual easiest) you have two lightsources... your flash and everything else.
CHOOSE which one you want to be dominant. (say your flash for example) and make sure it is at least 2/3's of a stop brighter than the other... last thing you need is to have your ambient light (usually orange or green depending on light source) on half the face and daylight balanced flash on the other half...

on a typical Wedding reception... I set the cameras up to under expose the ambient by about a stop and the flashes to expose the subject properly....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Tyr

Link Posted 07/03/2011 - 16:44
ElRazur wrote:

Flash will be used with a white plastic diffuser I bought off amazon.

If you use a diffuser it may not help as it will eat flash power. If you are using bounce flash you may not need to use it at all.

What type is it? Like a Stofen? In which case just use the flash at a 45 degree angle. It may not be quite as good as straight bounce depending on distance.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

Anvh

Link Posted 07/03/2011 - 16:51
Tyr wrote:
ElRazur wrote:

Flash will be used with a white plastic diffuser I bought off amazon.

If you use a diffuser it may not help as it will eat flash power. If you are using bounce flash you may not need to use it at all.

Depending on the situation it can also create shadows, just a bouncing is most of the time good enough, since the light will come from above it will look natural.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.