Posted 03/06/2008 - 05:38 Link
self portrait.
critiques?
Comment Image
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Malo1961
Posted 03/06/2008 - 05:49 Link
Were is the Police ID number?
Seriously, you look a bit........angry? And the highlights could be a bit less.
Frontal lighting?
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Don
Posted 03/06/2008 - 06:27 Link
was going for moody/dark.
the lighting is a Y setup, hardlights.
one in front, above the camera, two behind the subject.
I think a little talc on the subject will remove the highlights.
justgetoutandride
Posted 03/06/2008 - 12:36 Link
I don't know enough to comment on the technical aspects, but you don't just look dark/moody, you look a little psychotic... too intense.

Whilst I can see the point in trying for a moody shot, the lighting, full frontal, staring, intensity, makes the viewer (i.e. me) wonder what they have done to annoy you and how best to get out of the situation.

I was a psychiatric nurse for years, a vision like this would have me reaching for the largactil (anti-psychotic medication).

Alterations i would make are:

a. change lighting slightly so it's not so harsh
b. change angle of face to 3/4
c (my favourite) raise one eyebrow slightly.
Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
Don
Posted 03/06/2008 - 13:53 Link
Thank you for the feedback.

Quote:
I don't know enough to comment on the technical aspects, but you don't just look dark/moody, you look a little psychotic... too intense.

Whilst I can see the point in trying for a moody shot, the lighting, full frontal, staring, intensity, makes the viewer (i.e. me) wonder what they have done to annoy you and how best to get out of the situation.

I was a psychiatric nurse for years, a vision like this would have me reaching for the largactil (anti-psychotic medication).

A little larrazapan might be nice (I work a psych-nursing assistant for 6 years).

There was a fella in Toronto, Guy Paul Morin, that got falsely convicted of murder, then exhonorated, one of the jurors admitted, during an enquiry that they voted guilty, because he looked "Creepy".
Kinda makes you wonder....are our perceptions of good and evil, so badly warped by mass media, the way our perceptions of beauty are?

anyway, I need to re-create the effect on a larger scale, with a small budget, on video for a short video, next month.....I think I'm getting there.
justgetoutandride
Posted 03/06/2008 - 17:00 Link
Don wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder....are our perceptions of good and evil, so badly warped by mass media, the way our perceptions of beauty are?

"All our dreams and nightmares live in our parents and our peers.

There is nothing new."

Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
Don
Posted 14/06/2008 - 00:51 Link
for those that might be interested to know....my inspiration for this image was Yousef Karsh's Fidel Castro. (1971)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.