Shake Reduction on an k5 vs Kx

everymanjones

Link Posted 11/08/2014 - 13:17
Hi,
Ive recently bought a used K-5 from Ebay as a step up from my K-x and took it out for a spin.Almost all of my longer shots with the DA 55-300 were poor.
After doing a few experiments comparing the K5 with the Kx today to check focus ,I realised that the dust removal I have set to run on power-up is imperceptible on the K5 but nearly shakes the KX out of my hand.

So I was hoping that one of you K5 owners could reassure me that as with the shutter, the SR / Dust removal on the K5 is very quiet and subtle compared to the Kx or have I got a faulty SR which would explain the large number of poor shots at longer FL.

Also does anyone know a reliable way to test the SR ?

Thanks

Carl

screwdriver222

Link Posted 11/08/2014 - 13:22
in my experience on the K5 SR isn't perceptable. I had a Kr before and that was noticable.
Flickr link

percy

Link Posted 11/08/2014 - 13:25
It is normal for the dust removal on the K-5 to be pretty much imperceptible.

everymanjones

Link Posted 11/08/2014 - 14:02
Thanks for the reassurance, I'll stop panicking now.

I'll go do a few more tests, It might simply be I'm expecting too much from the k5 compared to the kx or perhaps Aperture's raw profile for the K5 isn't as good as the Kx.

But It's most likely the idiot behind the camera.

JohnX

Link Posted 11/08/2014 - 15:56
Could be you need to use AF Adjust to 'tune' the lens and body combo.

You'll find plenty of posts here and elsewhere that'll help you.

First, though, post a few of your poor shots here for opinions.

senn

Link Posted 12/08/2014 - 08:32
K-x is significantly small and isn't built with same material;.. also it's cheaper therefore it's probably equipped with a SR gear noisier, .. IMHO, the seemingly "poorer" performance of your K-5 has probably other causes. Maybe you need more time to handle it.

regards
senn
my flickr gallery
my PPG

alfpics

Link Posted 12/08/2014 - 08:39
Reason for the difference in dust removal is that the K-x does a mechanical shake of the sensor - hence the great vibrations, whilst the K-5 uses an ultrasonic system to clear any dust particles. If you're hearing is good, you can just hear a high pitched whine when operating it.
Andy

everymanjones

Link Posted 12/08/2014 - 17:32
Thanks for the pointers guys, I think I've found the culprit(s). for the fuzzy long shots.

On the KX I had it set so that the shutter doesn't release without focus whereas on the K5 it was set otherwise.
I also think the slightly different placement of the rear focus button is playing havoc with my technique. I'd much prefer it if the k5 could have this function assigned to the AE-L button as per the kx, it feels mor natural.

I love the K5 but it's going to take a while for my muscle memory to forget the kx.

Carl
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.