Setting up a website

CMW

Link Posted 02/09/2015 - 14:52
I'm in the final stages of setting up a website (link) to display a selection of my photos and would greatly welcome your view of it -- what works, what doesn't. There are some limits to change since it's based on a Smugmug platform (I don't have the knowledge to code a website), but let's see ...

I've set the website up mainly as a way of sharing photos with family and friends. I know there are simpler ways. In fact I started off intending to subscribe to pbase, but in the trial period found the required routines confusing and reckoned that if I was going to struggle to get my photos online, it might as well be for a website that I could persuade myself was 'mine'. Whether or not that was the right decision, I'm now not sure, though I do also see the website as serving as an 'off-site' back-up for high-resolution files (not something, I believe, available on the likes of pbase). I don't have any illusions about attracting outside visitors to the site: there's little to drive them and my grasp of search-engine optimization doesn't go beyond knowing that it exists. Nor do I expect to sell prints, though the facility is there.

Any thoughts most welcome, positive or negative (the latter possibly more helpful ... if less gratifying!).
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

johnriley

Link Posted 02/09/2015 - 15:33
The simplest way to share images between family and friends is perhaps Facebook? You can adjust the privacy settings to suit.

I'll look forward to having a look at your website a little later, can't just at this minute.
Best regards, John

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/09/2015 - 15:50
Not something I'm competent enough to do as yet (still using Flickr!!) - but what you've done so far looks very good to me - Just needs more content
LennyBloke

johnriley

Link Posted 02/09/2015 - 17:24
It's a nice template, the only problem I see is that a lot of other websites look exactly the same. This might not matter unless you want to have a wider audience. The idea of galleries I prefer to slide shows. Nobody has the patience to sit through a slide show, but for those who might then perhaps indicating how many images there are or how long it will take would encourage more to commit to looking?

Your photography looks very good, so well worth looking at. Good luck with the project, hope the comments are helpful and not too harsh!
Best regards, John

redbusa99

Link Posted 02/09/2015 - 17:47
i like the layout and style, plus some excellent images. on a personal note i like a slide show. as lennybloke says a bit more content of the current calibre will make very pleasant viewing, the downside is you may need to find more categories but that may solve the problem of not having the slide shows overly long. anyway good luck with the venture.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

CMW

Link Posted 02/09/2015 - 21:03
Thanks all for your good comments. Smugmug offer a variety of designs, so I'm not stuck with the current one -- though inevitably none can have the individual character of a bespoke design.

I wonder, John, whether the opening slide show has muddied the waters? It only lasts about 40 seconds (though as you say, the poor punter has no way of knowing that). I'm left wondering whether it does the job Smugmug ascribe to it of whetting the appetite(?). The galleries are the heart of the site and those provide thumbnails and an enlargement for any photo that is selected. They can be gone through manually or (if wished) played as a slide show. I wonder whether knowing what Smugmug's rationale is for the design has perhaps hidden from me that it's not entirely obvious. I can certainly add some text to reassure people that the slide show isn't a marathon!

More content is, indeed, needed. I plan to draw that from future work rather than plundering the past too much more!

Thanks again. Very helpful to have the feedback.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.