Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Buying a reflector- basic questions

dinneenp
Posted 01/09/2015 - 13:57 Link
Hi,
I'm going to buy a reflector, plan to use it for shooting my family at home (baby on the way soon, 2 kids already).

Are 'they all the same' within a prince range or are some better than others? Is a rectangular one better than a round one?

I don't plan on spending a lot on one at this current time.
Thanks in advance,
Pa.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.
Chrism8
Posted 01/09/2015 - 14:19 - Helpful Comment Link
Having used many, both my own and others, they are much of a muchness, the only difference between the square or circular ones other than the obvious will be how the catch lights appear in your subjects eyes.

The Square ones will reflect more light as their area will be larger than a circular one.

If your not wishing to spend a lot, some pieces of White / Black card will do as good a job, much cheaper, then cover one side in tin foil and you have a silver reflector, although scrunch it up first otherwise its a big mirror.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
StephenHampshire
Posted 01/09/2015 - 15:20 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
Having used many, both my own and others, they are much of a muchness, the only difference between the square or circular ones other than the obvious will be how the catch lights appear in your subjects eyes.

The Square ones will reflect more light as their area will be larger than a circular one.

If your not wishing to spend a lot, some pieces of White / Black card will do as good a job, much cheaper, then cover one side in tin foil and you have a silver reflector, although scrunch it up first otherwise its a big mirror.

I am a great fan of large sheets of cardboard, actually mat black on one side and white on the other doubles up as a useful background when not used as a reflector. However I also keep a small pop-up reflector in my bag - in my case ircular
dinneenp
Posted 01/09/2015 - 17:02 Link
Chrism8 wrote:

Good idea, I'll try it out. Although I was looking forward to buying a new (in this case shiny) toy. Better to try the cardboard and foil though, see how helpful it is.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.
vic cross
Posted 01/09/2015 - 20:04 Link
I have the large round silver/white/gold etc. and they are great. however there are some new ones out there.(NAME?????) which are sort of round but with a bit more to the edge, almost triangular with a handle which looks to me like a great new idea so that they can be held in the hand better.
On a lighter note. Buy some smoked salmon and you'll find it is on a card which is silver on one side and gold on the reverse. only about 10inches x 12 inches. BUT you do get to eat the salmon.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
richandfleur
Posted 02/09/2015 - 00:05 Link
Just as a heads up, watch for these reflecting in subjects glasses. I took some lately and realised afterwards that the glasses showed the surface of the reflector

Also the all in ones often have a white diffuser, which can be really useful if you are outside in bright sunlight.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.