Serif Affinity Photo

dangie

Link Posted 08/12/2016 - 20:21
Now available to buy for £29.99

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/new-features/?utm_source=serifemail&utm_m...
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner

wvbarnes

Link Posted 19/12/2016 - 23:22
Just back from hols. Affinity Photo for Windows now on sale, currently £29.99 as download (usually £39.99). Free macros to 22nd December. https://affinity.store/en-gb/ A lot to learn but seems very sophisticated software at bargain price. Just downloaded mine to work on Caribbean pics.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 20/12/2016 - 00:55
I just did so too. When I came to install it, it asked for my e-mail and product key (as one expects) and no matter what one does to the relevant boxes none of them will accept any form of input and the cursor just sits there blinking. I'll try again tomorrow!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

dangie

Link Posted 20/12/2016 - 10:03
wvbarnes wrote:
......Free macros to 22nd December....

I tried the Beta version and have now bought the final version.
I downloaded the free macros but unfortunately I can't get them to install. They are in my download folder but following the PDF instructions Affinity doesn't locate them. Reading the Affinity forum it seems others are having a similar problem. If you manage to do it please let me know how.

Link to Affinity Forum:

Affinity Photo Forum Macro Problem
Last Edited by dangie on 20/12/2016 - 10:07

wvbarnes

Link Posted 20/12/2016 - 13:22
In the macro tab is an import option. The help files tell you how. Just type 'Macro' into help. The download is zipped so needs unpacking first (I couldn't find it either). Photoshop plugins such as the free Google 'Nix' ones can be added to location list from other programs easily too. Lots to learn but a very comprehensive program.

dangie wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:
......Free macros to 22nd December....

I tried the Beta version and have now bought the final version.
I downloaded the free macros but unfortunately I can't get them to install. They are in my download folder but following the PDF instructions Affinity doesn't locate them. Reading the Affinity forum it seems others are having a similar problem. If you manage to do it please let me know how.

Link to Affinity Forum:

Affinity Photo Forum Macro Problem

davidwozhere

Link Posted 20/12/2016 - 23:31
I have it running now and I had no trouble following the instructions for the Macro installation. It's going to be a monster learning curve though.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

alfpics

Link Posted 21/12/2016 - 06:53
Got the macros installed nor problem as well. Just have to use the programme now which has some great features!
Andy

dangie

Link Posted 21/12/2016 - 09:52
Done it. Macros installed. Maloperation on my part as usual.....

wvbarnes

Link Posted 22/12/2016 - 12:34
Initial impressions, now I'm using it good BUT still under development. Excellent range of tools BUT only some remember your last setting such as clarity but annoyingly not export. Big Jpegs output at 100%,due it seems to new Affinity Document idea. Currently processing our Caribbean Cruise with it. Certainly a lot more going on control wise in tools than old Serif Photoplus. Excellent online help videos.

Sperm Whale mother and calf going into a dive off Dominica... (Using the new very light and compact 55 - 300 PLM lens on my K3, out of interest.)

wvbarnes

Link Posted 24/12/2016 - 22:18
UPDATE: I've found Affinity Photo also has an excellent haze filter and a selection of built in noise and dust filters.

JAK

Link Posted 24/12/2016 - 22:26
Do Serif still spam you with phone calls and emails. That was the worst part of obtaining their products! Endless calls and emails when a new version came out or a new product they'd bought in and try and sell it to you.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 24/12/2016 - 22:28

wvbarnes

Link Posted 24/12/2016 - 22:31
No, I some years ago simply took permission to use my phone number off my online account. I thinkl the calling dated back to days of mag posted free editions etc. They were annoying back then. All recent offers for the now finished Serif Plus range came by email only as did the new Affinity beta trials and release offers. I do get emails for offers on other stuff but that's my choice.

JAK wrote:
Do Serif still spam you with phone calls and emails. That was the worst part of obtaining their products!

JAK

Link Posted 24/12/2016 - 22:57
That's good to know. In those days asking them to stop had no effect.
John K

Capucine

Link Posted 10/04/2017 - 23:34
I've tried to install their free version several times but it failed ".Net Framework 4.6.2 has not been installed because %1 is not a valid Win 32 application". As a result I had to return to my old Mac with https://macphun.com/luminar. They promised Windows version too, hopefully it'll be better than Affinity's on my laptop...

davesexton

Link Posted 17/04/2017 - 09:18
dangie wrote:
Does anyone use Serif Affinity Photo? Up to now its only been available for Mac, but a beta version is now out for Windows. The reviews of it are extremely good.

Affinity Photo Features

Given that you can get Adobe Bridge for free without a subscription for organisation purposes, I decided to give it a go. Rather than restricting myself to a ten day trial, I just bought Affinity Photo and switched overnight to a new workflow (see attached PDF). I am not an Adobe ‘hater’, but I do not like the subscription model and I do not like having to import all my images into the Lightroom Database. I have been using Affinity Photo over a month now and I am very happy. It’s not perfect, but it is stable and is a good replacement for Photoshop (it has most of the features most of us will ever need for a one-off payment of just £48 ). I will almost certainly not go back to Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC now and I intend to cancel my CC Photography subscription.

Capture: Pentax K-1, PENTAX HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR, PENTAX 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro, SAMYANG 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC, SAMYANG 35mm F1.4 AS UMC, • SAMYANG 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC

Processing: Adobe Bridge for organisation, DxO Optics Pro Elite for RAW development, ON1 Photo RAW for some 'stylising' and Affintiy Photo for more involved edits.
Last Edited by davesexton on 17/04/2017 - 09:20
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.