Selling MZ-S?????

Joshua Hakin

Link Posted 16/01/2008 - 02:20
Alright... I am considering it.... and the battery grip too.
I just never use it! I have no idea what a price should be since I havent found any on eBay to compare.
Am I crazy?

spbatt

Link Posted 16/01/2008 - 09:33
Same thing happened to me. I didn't want to sell my MZ-S but I just wasn't using it enough to warrant keeping it. I sold it with the grip for about 350 one year ago.

Good luck if you do sell it.

Regards,

Batty

iceblinker

Link Posted 16/01/2008 - 12:00
One recently sold for 199, Buy It Now, body only:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160197524836

(I found this via Advanced Search and tcking the box for Completed Items).
~Pete

Don

Link Posted 16/01/2008 - 14:36
I had an mz5 that I once got offered $1000.00 cdn for.
(it had been autographed for me by canadian hockey legend Gordie Howe during a photoshoot.)
I gave it to my stepson, who then had it stolen from his room by one of his "friends"....
now that's a little off subject...
my advice is this...if you don't need the money....there may be a kid out there that needs a hobby and a mentor....
how else could you take a used obslote camera (worth maybe $150.00) and make it priceless to somebody?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mannesty

Link Posted 17/01/2008 - 13:54
Joshua Hakin wrote:
Alright... I am considering it.... and the battery grip too.
I just never use it! I have no idea what a price should be since I havent found any on eBay to compare.
Am I crazy?

Noooooooo, don't do it. You'll regret it . . . eventually.

I have the same dilemma. I've had 3 MZ-S bodies and have one left, the best one which is in mint condition. In the last 18 months, I've put one film through it. I don't think I'll ever use it again, but . . . you never know.

The digital workflow is my/our future and I really love the ability to see the results of my efforts at the end of the day, rather than having to wait for processing. I still don't know whether to sell my MZ-S so I think I'll keep it for a while yet.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Pontoneer

Link Posted 07/02/2008 - 09:45
I think Ffordes have one in their used list just now at 350 or thereabouts - this is just for the body if I remember correctly .

I paid about the same amount for mine (from them) a year or more back , and 100 or so for the grip when one became available later .

While it is true that most other Pentax film SLRs do not command high prices these days , the two models that continue to sell for reasonable money are the MZ-S and the LX ( although the impression I get is that the prices for used LX bodies in poor to average condition are starting to soften with only excellent examples going for good money now ? ) .

Most other bodies can be picked up for buttons these days , in fact I was GIVEN an ME Super complete with 50mm f1.7 lens and an AF200S flash for nothing the other night all in nice condition : the owner was throwing it out and asked if I wanted it !!! I now have a nice collection of manual cameras , none of which is worth much but nice to look at just the same , and all still in excellent condition and working order .

I do still find the MZ-S useful as I still shoot film at times so would not regard it as obsolete , likewise I keep the more battered of my two LX bodies in my kit and use it in conditions I would not wish to subject my newer cameras to ; it is also good to have one camera which will still work without batteries in freezing conditions when everything else has given up . The LX , with up to 125S metered exposure capability also has its uses in low light conditions and there are probably quite a few other things it can do with its extensive range of accessories that other cameras cannot .

arto

Link Posted 18/02/2008 - 13:00
I have been filing my old transparencies in slide pages on a lightbox and it has reminded me of the miracle that is film photography - each one of those vivid little 35mm gems of colour shining up at me is the direct result of light rays bouncing off friends, family, objects and landscapes and into my lens at that exact moment in time, 10, 15, 25 years ago. It's a kind of time travel. As for digital - strings of impersonal zeroes and ones that look different depending on what monitor or printer reassembles them? No thanks.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 18/02/2008 - 21:52
arto wrote:
I have been filing my old transparencies in slide pages on a lightbox and it has reminded me of the miracle that is film photography - each one of those vivid little 35mm gems of colour shining up at me is the direct result of light rays bouncing off friends, family, objects and landscapes and into my lens at that exact moment in time, 10, 15, 25 years ago. It's a kind of time travel. As for digital - strings of impersonal zeroes and ones that look different depending on what monitor or printer reassembles them? No thanks.

I suspect you have something wrong with your image-viewing software. It should convert the noughts and ones into little gems of shining colour. If all you are seeing is noughts and ones, you are using a text editor.

I have loads and loads of slides going back to 1973. Never look at them; it's too much bother to get the projector out and faff around with trays, screens, and goodness knows what.

My digital pictures, however, are accessible in fractions of a second - even the oldest ones - and will remain so.

No contest.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

arto

Link Posted 18/02/2008 - 22:46
You don't need a projector. Just the sun and a hand-held viewer. Or a lightbox and a good loupe. Anyway, there's more to life than convenience. Who'd want to eat pizza every night?

Mongoose

Link Posted 08/03/2008 - 23:18
off topic somewhat but you can't beat an SFX with F35-70 as an "I don't care if it falls in the lake" camera.

every piece of junk has its uses.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Mac

Link Posted 09/03/2008 - 00:18
Mongoose,

That's one of my absolute favorite combinations, and I use it when I kayak.

But it'd break my heart if it fell in the lake.

Oh, boy, now I've done it!

Tell me Murphy wasn't listening....
Mac from Montreal

SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.

dev_tt

Link Posted 28/03/2008 - 22:54
The recent auctions on ebay for MZ-S all finished 300+ pounds

hoshisato

Link Posted 07/04/2008 - 18:29
I paid more than 300 for the MZ-S I bought second hand recently. ^_^;; Not a bargain but maybe the last chance to pick up this high-end SLR I reckoned, and I think many reason in the same way.
Cameras: Pentax 67II / 645NII / K20D / MZ-S / MZ-3 / ME
Gallery: Hans ter Horst Photography

arto

Link Posted 07/04/2008 - 18:51
Interesting - that's more than I paid recently for two mint LX's (each - not the pair).

Mongoose

Link Posted 08/04/2008 - 17:41
Mac wrote:
Mongoose,

That's one of my absolute favorite combinations, and I use it when I kayak.

But it'd break my heart if it fell in the lake.

Oh, boy, now I've done it!

Tell me Murphy wasn't listening....

Well if it does fall in the lake, give me a shout, I've got 2 of them and a Z20. All in good order (so I can't bring myself to bin them) but they just don't sell so they sit in my cupboard, waiting for the day they come in handy.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.