selling a lens

mattox
Posted 26/02/2014 - 17:18 Link
Hi there guys!!!

Just thought i would drop a line before going ahead. I am planning to sell a 55-300mm pentax lens and thought id ask fellow users some advice. I purchased the lens second hand originally and had no problems until recently noticed the sharpness was a bit soft. Sent the lens away to foya and they said it would set me back £2oo to repair the lens. I decided obviously not to of course and thought it would be better to sell and purchase a new one. Seems that it works well in manual but slightly out in auto,Comment Image
maybe I might get an ok price on eday. Any ideas on what I should sell it for?
mattox
Posted 26/02/2014 - 17:24 Link
this image on the other hand shows at 300mm it is quite soft compared to the dog shot which was taken at 200mm

Comment Image
johnriley
Posted 26/02/2014 - 17:31 Link
You could try adjusting your AF, but first perhaps a test on a stationary subject whilst on a tripod. Just to make sure it's the lens and not camera shake or subject movement.
Best regards, John
mattox
Posted 26/02/2014 - 17:36 Link
johnriley wrote:
You could try adjusting your AF, but first perhaps a test on a stationary subject whilst on a tripod. Just to make sure it's the lens and not camera shake or subject movement.
tried all of that john. Fixed a lens focus chart to a table and on a tripod, but the focus is always out, even after AF adjustment
Mike-P
Posted 26/02/2014 - 17:46 Link
I had the same thing with my 55-300mm .. it was fine up to around 200mm but totally sucked at 300mm. The problem was that I had dropped it and the internals were misaligned so I sent it to Alan Marlow Link who fixed it for me at a cost of £80 IIRC... I would send it to him before splashing out for a new one, £200 is way too much.

This is mine at 300mm now

Comment Image


Comment Image
mattox
Posted 26/02/2014 - 18:09 Link
Interesting. Might be worth getting in contact with him. Considering the lens starting playing up after being lugged around loosely in my back pack in argentina for a month. May have the same problem too
Mike-P wrote:
I had the same thing with my 55-300mm .. it was fine up to around 200mm but totally sucked at 300mm. The problem was that I had dropped it and the internals were misaligned so I sent it to Alan Marlow Link who fixed it for me at a cost of £80 IIRC... I would send it to him before splashing out for a new one, £200 is way too much.

This is mine at 300mm now

Comment Image


Comment Image
dpm
Posted 27/02/2014 - 07:59 Link
Have a look through it- there have been a few examples that have suffered from fungus at a surprisingly young age.
tyronet2000
Posted 27/02/2014 - 12:49 Link
Quote:
...an ok price on ebay. Any ideas on what I should sell it for?
And of course you disclose reason for sale to avoid negative feedback
Regards
Stan

PPG
mattox
Posted 01/03/2014 - 10:13 Link
well, thanks to Mike, I have got in contact with AM Technical Services in Middlesex and Allan quoted me for 80 pounds!!!!!!!! to repair the problem with the lens. Very very happy indeed
Mike-P
Posted 01/03/2014 - 21:16 Link
Happy to help. I do think it's time Alan started giving me a decent discount on my repairs now though ...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo