Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Secondary battery for MX-1

MattMatic
Posted 12/12/2013 - 13:56 Link
Has anyone any positive experiences of third-party batteries for the MX-1?

It is listed as a D-LI106 battery, but as I've found out there was an earlier version that had corner notches to about 1/3 depth. In contrast, the MX-1 uses a battery that has corner notches to about 2/3 depth. The older style just won't insert properly!

Bought one from eBay that had the deep notch image shown... but it arrived with the shallow notch. Thankfully the seller was very helpful in refunding - but I still want a spare battery!

£40 is just a bit steep for a £200 camera
(£20 would be much more appropriate IMHO)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
johnriley
Posted 12/12/2013 - 14:41 Link
There are third party batteries that fit, sold as packs of two. Also, the Ricoh GR battery actually is the same battery, just labelled differently, so you could always check out if those are cheaper. They might be even more expensive of course!
Best regards, John
MattMatic
Posted 12/12/2013 - 15:25 Link
That's helpful John to know about the GR (which version?!) But, looking on eBay there seem to be two styles of DB-65 compatible batteries listed - the same issues that I experienced with the D-LI106!

e.g. Shallow corner cut outs

vs Deep corner cut outs

And as I found out first hand, the battery actually shipped may not be exactly the same as displayed on the eBay listing

And yes, the Ricoh battery price is £45 from SRS

Matt
Edited by MattMatic: 12/12/2013 - 15:25
johnriley
Posted 12/12/2013 - 15:29 Link
The latest GR Matt.

The mA figure is much higher in the newer battery, so perhaps that's a good indicator?
Best regards, John
MattMatic
Posted 12/12/2013 - 15:44 Link
Thanks John.

Looking online the mAh rating isn't much of a help! The basic battery shape is used by a huge number of cameras from Leica, Panasonic, Fuji, Ricoh, and Pentax. But looking for replacement batteries for each of these yields equal quantities of shallow + deep notch version - all with varying mA ratings

(Including this Ricoh one which is only 1050mAh and has shallow notches! But then it says DB-60. Perhaps the genuine DB-65 is the correct one!)

Sigh.
Edited by MattMatic: 12/12/2013 - 15:44
JonSchick
Posted 12/12/2013 - 15:57 Link
I had the same issue with Inov8 battery: their newer ones fit properly but earlier ones sold for the MX-1 did not. The new one works fine for me.

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
MattMatic
Posted 19/12/2013 - 13:11 Link
Just an update...

After trying one battery that had the 'correct' photo, but was shipped as a shallow-notch older version (seller was extremely helpful and eventually refunded me), I found that this Panasonic DMC-LX3 battery fits perfectly. Even comes with a useful plastic box

The D-LI106 battery shape is obviously used by loads of manufacturers!

Matt
stevejcoe
Posted 24/12/2013 - 09:35 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Just an update...

After trying one battery that had the 'correct' photo, but was shipped as a shallow-notch older version (seller was extremely helpful and eventually refunded me), I found that this Panasonic DMC-LX3 battery fits perfectly. Even comes with a useful plastic box

The D-LI106 battery shape is obviously used by loads of manufacturers!

Matt

Thanks Matt

Regards - Steve
Steep
Posted 27/04/2014 - 20:25 Link
I bought the Panasonic battery from the link above and it's the wrong type with the shallow grooves. However it's easy to make the battery fit, 'carefully' cut away the corners diagonally across the groove using the outer edges of the groove as a guide and down to about 2/3 depth. Once done the battery fits fine even though the groove is not square. I used a very fine bladed saw and it looks messy in the picture but is actually quite neat once you clean away the waste.

Comment Image

Comment Image
judderman62
Posted 27/05/2014 - 22:59 Link
Just to add from my experience

OK this one is compatible :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251038691063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1... and comes ina rather nice plastic case

this one however will NOT stay in place so do not buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1350mAh-Decoded-Battery-for-Pentax-D-LI106-DLI106-O...
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
johnriley
Posted 27/05/2014 - 23:51 Link
Why not just buy the right battery? It may cost more, but it's the right tool for the job.
Best regards, John
obione
Posted 28/05/2014 - 21:53 Link
what about using your.. Pentax User Plus,10% Off Pentax Accessories From SRS Microsystems.
MattMatic wrote:
Has anyone any positive experiences of third-party batteries for the MX-1?

It is listed as a D-LI106 battery, but as I've found out there was an earlier version that had corner notches to about 1/3 depth. In contrast, the MX-1 uses a battery that has corner notches to about 2/3 depth. The older style just won't insert properly!

Bought one from eBay that had the deep notch image shown... but it arrived with the shallow notch. Thankfully the seller was very helpful in refunding - but I still want a spare battery!

£40 is just a bit steep for a £200 camera
(£20 would be much more appropriate IMHO)

Matt

k-5, K-5ii,60-250 f4, 50 f1.4 af,17-70 f4, 100mm macro wr,siggy 10-20 siggy 100-300f4
Edited by obione: 28/05/2014 - 21:54
Mannesty
Posted 28/05/2014 - 22:58 Link
johnriley wrote:
Why not just buy the right battery?

Because they are a ridiculous price. £40 for a battery is a disgraceful rip-off.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Gravelrash
Posted 28/05/2014 - 23:02 Link
I've just ordered the one that Mike had success with. I doubt I'll need to use it so I'm grateful for the 90% saving!
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
judderman62
Posted 28/05/2014 - 23:04 Link
yep that's be my response too.

John and one or two others are always going to suggest getting originals for reasons they believe in, and they have every right to do so, I think though more folk also feel that camera manufacturers well and truly take , taking the p**s to whole new levels with battery pricing.

i think back to when I had my Canon 50D's - canon originals £ 89 , ever readys (that actually performed better - and never a problem) £ 12.50 ... bordering on criminal.

There's not much point in re hashing this debate every time - some will always go for originals..more, I suspect, will look for better value...I doubt either "side" is likely to make a switch this side of hell freezing over
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.