SDM failures horror stories
Posted 07/07/2010 - 14:18
Link
johnriley wrote:
Sigma have only just announced a recall of several lenses for focusing problems.
But that's just it John - they've announced a recall i.e. Sigma will pay for the cost of fixing the flaw, not the customer. If Pentax had announced a recall of SDM lenses (rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist, as they have with the 16-50 and 50-135) then your point would stand, but they haven't.
Sigma have only just announced a recall of several lenses for focusing problems.
Posted 07/07/2010 - 15:48
Link
Quote:
If Pentax had announced a recall of SDM lenses (rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist, as they have with the 16-50 and 50-135) then your point would stand, but they haven't.
It may be that a recall was unecessary because the fault was actually rare. The point is we don't know.
If Pentax had announced a recall of SDM lenses (rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist, as they have with the 16-50 and 50-135) then your point would stand, but they haven't.
Best regards, John
Posted 07/07/2010 - 16:13
Link
Anvh wrote:
Simon define oddly?
Sorry for delay in replying....Simon define oddly?
It fails to focus very occasionally, mainly at the long end, and makes an uncharacteristic noise, as I say it's quite rare so I haven't given it much thought
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 07/07/2010 - 16:46
Link
johnriley wrote:
I believe it wasn't a batch off lenses that had a problem so Pentax didn't had the option to call lenses back.Quote:
If Pentax had announced a recall of SDM lenses (rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist, as they have with the 16-50 and 50-135) then your point would stand, but they haven't.
It may be that a recall was unecessary because the fault was actually rare. The point is we don't know.If Pentax had announced a recall of SDM lenses (rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist, as they have with the 16-50 and 50-135) then your point would stand, but they haven't.
simonkit wrote:
It fails to focus very occasionally, mainly at the long end, and makes an uncharacteristic noise, as I say it's quite rare so I haven't given it much thought
Oh that doesn't sound too good, hopefully it's nothing
It fails to focus very occasionally, mainly at the long end, and makes an uncharacteristic noise, as I say it's quite rare so I haven't given it much thought
Posted 07/07/2010 - 18:53
Link
simonkit wrote:
It fails to focus very occasionally, mainly at the long end, and makes an uncharacteristic noise, as I say it's quite rare so I haven't given it much thought
Mine's the same at long lengths and dim light. I think it's a characteristic of this lens - arising from the short focus steps apparently. If you rest a finger gently on the focus ring as it tries to find focus this solves the problem - it locks quickly and reliably then.
Anvh wrote:
Simon define oddly?
Sorry for delay in replying....Simon define oddly?
It fails to focus very occasionally, mainly at the long end, and makes an uncharacteristic noise, as I say it's quite rare so I haven't given it much thought
Posted 07/07/2010 - 22:54
Link
Anvh wrote:
I believe it wasn't a batch off lenses that had a problem so Pentax didn't had the option to call lenses back.
They could, however, have recalled all of them or (alternatively) announced a warranty extension only for SDM problems (like Microsoft did with the Xbox 360 RROD), which would have reassured potential purchasers while probably costing a lot less than recalling every 16-50 and 50-135 ever sold.
I believe it wasn't a batch off lenses that had a problem so Pentax didn't had the option to call lenses back.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester