Sd card troubles...Help needed

stub

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 12:37
I have just recovered some images from my 16gb Sandisk SD card. Using rescue pro software. All was successful, except now my K5ii or K-7 wont recognise the SD card in the chamber, No red light comes on when I insert it. Just get message "No card in camera". I have tried reformatting the card in my computer. To fat32 and all works well there, but not in camera. Anyone got any ideas of anything I could try to restore the card. Other cards are working fine in camera..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 07/10/2013 - 12:38

johnriley

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 13:04
Try formatting the card in a different camera, Pentax or any other. Then try again, formatting in your own camera.

We had a card once that wouldn't work in my K20D but formatted in Sue's. After that, it worked again in both cameras.

If all else fails, ditch it and buy a new one. The last thing you want is a day's photography only to find the card is corrupted and the images are lost.
Best regards, John

JohnX

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 15:17
The fact that you needed to use recovery software indicates an issue with the card.

Had it long? Trouble with Sandisk is that they are THE card counterfeiters brand of choice.
Last Edited by JohnX on 07/10/2013 - 15:19

stub

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 16:29
Quote:
The fact that you needed to use recovery software indicates an issue with the card.

Why, there was no problem with the card, and it had given good service. Until "I" accidentally deleted a file from it. This was subsequently recovered. But has left the card not recognised by the camera.

Stuart..

johnriley

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 16:37
Did you delete the file from the computer? If so, that could be the reason for the problem.

Have you tried formatting in your other camera yet?
Best regards, John

stub

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 17:00
No I still have the recovered file. I only have two Pentax cameras John. I get the message "No card in camera" in both the K-7 and the k5ii. I was presuming I could just reformat the card but apparently not...

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 07/10/2013 - 17:01

johnriley

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 17:08
To be honest if it looked like the card was corrupted, as it does, I'd ditch it and buy a replacement.
Best regards, John

cabstar

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 17:29
I recently sent a sandisk 45mb/s card back to sandisk as the lock tab had fallen off, it cost me around 8 but they replaced my faulty card with a 90mb/s card so well worth sending back
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

stub

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 17:43
That's my next step. Just thought it would be a fairly easy solution. If I get the same result I'l be happy,....

Stuart..

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 18:08
Pop it in you camera and locate Format card in the menu, sorry if I'm being obvious but I don't see it mentioned yet.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

stub

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 23:42
Quote:
Pop it in you camera and locate Format card in the menu, sorry if I'm being obvious but I don't see it mentioned yet.

Bit to obvious Steve, That option is greyed out in the menu. When the camera does not sense the card. Im going to send it back to Sandisk see what they make of it.

Stuart..

Gamka

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 11:32
cabstar wrote:
I recently sent a sandisk 45mb/s card back to sandisk as the lock tab had fallen off, it cost me around 8 but they replaced my faulty card with a 90mb/s card so well worth sending back

8 - extortionate.

1.30 or so, with Royal Mail. It is insured up to 60 so just proof of posting is all that is needed.

The two I have returned have gone that way and arrived in CZ a couple of days later.

Gamka

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 11:35
stub wrote:
Quote:

Bit to obvious Steve, That option is greyed out in the menu. When the camera does not sense the card. Im going to send it back to Sandisk see what they make of it.

Before you send it back you need to have an On-line SanDisk account which is easy to set up, then register the card with the date and place of purchase. You can go back a couple of years if you need to.

They say used tracked but as commented in my other post RM First Class is normally adequate.

cabstar

Link Posted 08/10/2013 - 11:46
Gamka wrote:
cabstar wrote:

8 - extortionate.

1.30 or so, with Royal Mail. It is insured up to 60 so just proof of posting is all that is needed.

The two I have returned have gone that way and arrived in CZ a couple of days later.

They told me to send it via recorded delivery which i did. Air mail is now only insured up to 20 as is first class mail unless you use a signed for service. My original card purchase was for 22 so if it got lost under standard air mail royal mail wouldnt have paid out as its classed as being under insured. Royal mail have got really strict about this due to the recent privatisation...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

stub

Link Posted 11/10/2013 - 13:23
Just to finish the story off with a happy ending. I have today received two new SD cards. Popped in the camera and formatted. Perfect. I wasn't aware until now that most of the decent brand SD cards carry a 10 year warranty. So its well worth registering your cards on the manufacturers web sites. It may only be a small cost. But it is a cost nevertheless to replace them.

Stuart..
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.