sd card transfer rates

old lens
Posted 09/11/2006 - 19:13 Link
Hi

anyone know the maximum data transfer rate for a DL camera?

Considering an Exreme III card but don`t want to waste money if the camera can`t utilise it.

ps. can the DL use cards larger than 1Gb

Regards
Rick
golfdiesel
Posted 09/11/2006 - 20:02 Link
normal SD cards can be used up to 2GB.
After the latest firmware update you can allso use SD-HC cards which are 4GB and bigger.
But I don't want to use those big cards. I prefer using a couple of smaller cards. If a card fails you don't use all your pictures...
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
johnriley
Posted 09/11/2006 - 23:47 Link
Also, when using even 1GB cards the contents will not fit on one CD for backup. On this basis, 512MB seems ideal to me.
Best regards, John
golfdiesel
Posted 10/11/2006 - 06:43 Link
that's true, but do you trust CD-R's?
I make a copy onto a external HDD. The event that both HDD's fail at once is very unlikely. CD-R's will fail sooner is my experience.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
johnriley
Posted 10/11/2006 - 07:30 Link
I only buy high quality CD-R, never CD-RW, and that's at least a reasonable back-up. Not every CD will corrupt simultaneously, but one external HD could.

There is a limit to how far we can go and even keeping a negative is no guarantee. Just look at a 30 year old colour negative and see how permanent that was...

The most certain way to preserve an image for the very long term is an archivally processed black and white negative or print. Archivally processing is an arduous process and most work done does not even come close to that standard.
Best regards, John
JointComms
Posted 10/11/2006 - 12:35 Link
IMO - it's not whether the camera can handle the speed - it will record as fast as the card can BUT, the transferring onto PC thru USB or whatever you're using - that's where the card speed comes in.

John, speaking of 30-year-old negs. Do you know of a way to clean them? I wasn't very careful with mine and between moving and storage over the years has taken its toll on the negs AND slides.
johnriley
Posted 10/11/2006 - 19:15 Link
Cleaning of old negs is a specialist area and I would research it first. Also, try the process you choose on an unimportant sample first.

There are cleaning solutions that will help remove mold. You could rewash and dry the negatives.

I always have stored negatives in archival sleeves and only clean them prior to use with a Pentax cleaning cloth (intended for lenses) or a blower brush. There are also electrostatic devices that make the dust fall off.

Spotting of images is a breeze with scanned negatives in Photoshop. Much easier than spotting prints!
Best regards, John
Arthur Dent
Posted 10/11/2006 - 21:05 Link
Data transfer rates for the new camera (K10D) are reputed to be about 20MB/second, so decent name brand 133x SD cards should be just about right.

I only usd Archival Gold DVD's, and they hold a bit over 4GB of data. But I also have live storage on a RAID1 array, so if a disk dies I can replace it.

I don't know if the DVD's are REALLY archival, and we may move to another storage medium before it becomes an issue.

Just avoid cheap recordable disks, I've had cheap DVD's go out on me after only a few years.
42 Comment Image
old lens
Posted 11/11/2006 - 17:27 Link
Thanks for the help.

I`ll try a SanDisc extreme III card and let you know.

I`ve been backing up onto DVD RW discs, are non rewritable ones better
for long term storage?


Regards
Rick
johnriley
Posted 11/11/2006 - 18:06 Link
R discs are generally thought of as being more stable than RW.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo