Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Samsun and Pentax

Posted 25/09/2009 - 05:09 Link
Last year I saw the U.S. market share as it is divided by camera sales. Samsung and kodak had a greater share than Pentax. Pentax gave Samsung part of its market in exchange for technology. I am not sure if it will pay off in the end. With the launch of the Kx, it is clear as to who the target market is. What conserns me, is Pentax's lack of VMS(Vertical market strategy) Minolta is now competing with Pentax with their medical division if Pentax doen't align their marketing strategy, I feel they will go under as well.
B. R. Foster
George Lazarette
Posted 25/09/2009 - 10:09 Link
I wish we could have a ban on doom and gloom posts.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
ChrisA
Posted 25/09/2009 - 10:25 Link
Especially when the doom and gloom is posted without any hard information to back up the views expressed.

No figures, no specifics, no analysis - nothing, really, on which to base a reasoned debate (even if there was the will for such a debate, which I doubt).
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Hardgravity
Posted 25/09/2009 - 10:35 Link
Relax boys, pentaxian67 is just trying to find out if our brands are going to be available in his home market for the foreseeable future,

I have no worries as the release of the K-x will boost sales, being cheaper, better looking and more user friendly than most of the opposition, both here in the UK and across the pond.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
davex
Posted 25/09/2009 - 10:36 Link
Perhaps we could have a seperate forum area for such topics :
It would save me looking at them.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
ChrisA
Posted 25/09/2009 - 10:45 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
Relax boys, pentaxian67 is just trying to find out if our brands are going to be available in his home market for the foreseeable future,

No lack of relaxation here

And of course, most of us are probably interested in the brand's longevity.

For all I know, P67 may have carefully analysed the market, looked perceptively into the accounting figures, and come to an insightful conclusion.

However, as posted, as I say, it isn't the basis for a meaningful discussion, and it doesn't IMHO contribute anything except a vague feeling of unease.

So with George, I see no purpose in such posts. I wouldn't ban them, but I wish posters of such things would consider (and maybe even tell us!) what they're trying to actually achieve.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Posted 25/09/2009 - 11:22 Link
Hardgravity wrote:

I have no worries as the release of the K-x will boost sales, being cheaper, better looking and more user friendly than most of the opposition, both here in the UK and across the pond.

Point well taken. There is no speculation with Nikon or Canon users. Why is there with Pentax users, and is Pentax aware of it? I have no doubt that Pentax will be around, but in what form? Sticking with Pentax is one thing, expandin market share is another. Pentax must address market uncertinty before they can expand. I see very little advertising from Pentax, only in Canada and Australiaand Never for a DSLR. Pentax should adopt a VMS policy. Nikon used to offer free product at the zoo near where I live. You can borrow any camera with any lens for the day. I see a great oppertunity for Pentax with the K-x But nothing from Pentax to promote the product. There are no camera shops near where I live anymore. The closest one is about 30 minutes away and no longer carrying Pentax. If I want the K-7 I will have to buy it on-line. How can that convince new customers who would like to see the K-7 before buying one.
B. R. Foster
Edited by pentaxian67: 25/09/2009 - 11:36
Hardgravity
Posted 25/09/2009 - 11:53 Link
It's still early days for promotions, Pentax have, on the last new model releases, offered cash back incentives.

I took advantage of one when I got my K200d.

Let's see what happens.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
edumad
Posted 25/09/2009 - 12:13 Link
Are you lumping all digital camera sales together? Because Samsung has a a P&S section which is older and independent from the collaboration with Pentax.

Pentax needs marketing and product placement.
Sony, Nikon and Canon are the obvious, recommended and well exposed options for new DSLR users. Pentax, Olympus, Samsung, Sigma, Panasonic are not.
mpjx
Posted 26/09/2009 - 00:08 Link
As the 645D now seems closer to reality I would suggest this counters any supposed doom and gloom. Pentax have the opportunity to carve out a real niche with the model. OK, DA lenses will not be compatible (probably) but it is a clear upgrade path for anyone concerned about how they can 'progess' with the Pentax system.

The K-x will definitely appeal to first time dslr buyers, the K-7 is a great piece of kit and a medium format model on a budget gives Pentax an offering that neither Canon or Nikon have.

Also, as Samsung appear to be moving away from dslr with their new (Nx ?) models, where are all those GX10 and GX20 owners going to look when they want to replace their current kit? Pentax of course.

I can't see much doom and gloom - spend time taking pictures rather than worrying about nothing.
--
K20D | DA*16-50 | DA*50-135
--
MacBook Pro | Dell U2410 Monitor | Wacom Tablet
--

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.