Same Problem as Tel? (poor focus) C&C please

Thordell
Posted 29/03/2009 - 18:25 Link
Knew it would feel daft, still not the first or the last time I guess

Thanks for the size tip Tel, easy to do if you save it from Lightroom they make is idiot proof just for people like me
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
ttk
Posted 29/03/2009 - 18:27 Link
It's in photoshop as well under FILE, save for web
Tel,
Mike-P
Posted 29/03/2009 - 18:31 Link
Looking at that shot it seems the blue feeder has a lot more sharpness to it than the bird itself.
I know a lot of people manual focus with the Bigma as it tends to give better results.

Also may be worth stopping down a bit more and getting some of it back in processing.

Keep going though as it is supposedly an excellent lens if you can manage it.
Thordell
Posted 29/03/2009 - 18:44 Link
Thank you, I am just relived that it seems to be me and not the lens, not one you can afford to buy and then ignore. Hope to take it to wildfowl areas and I should have no light problem there.

Thing to do is grit teeth and keep trying.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Mike-P
Posted 29/03/2009 - 18:49 Link
Thordell wrote:
Hope to take it to wildfowl areas and I should have no light problem there.
Move to Spain as I did .. you can manage anything there handheld.
Finding it a bit more difficult since I returned last week.
Thordell
Posted 29/03/2009 - 19:45 Link
LOL, my sister lives in Spain and there is no way I could, if I visit it has to be in the autumn or winter and even then I have problems moving around.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Robin128
Posted 30/03/2009 - 13:38 Link
aminstar

Cracking good post..if I may say so..I think I'll try some similar shots with mine.



Stupid observation from total amateur, please...use of tc when used with slow lens may reduce the effective aperture enough that the camera's autofocus system will no longer work....correct?


Rob
K20D
MZ 50
Pentax lenses....DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM ....F 35-80 f4-5.6....DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3....F 100-300 f4.5-5.6, D FA Macro 100 WR f2.8.

Centon mirror lens 500mm.

Pentax Flash ....AF 360FGZ

JVC 3ccd GZ MC 500EK camcorder
Edited by Robin128: 30/03/2009 - 14:03
shim
Posted 30/03/2009 - 14:10 Link
Robin128 wrote:
aminstar

Cracking good post..if I may say so..I think I'll try some similar shots with mine.



Stupid observation from total amateur, please...use of tc when used with slow lens may reduce the effective aperture enough that the camera's autofocus system will no longer work....correct?


Rob
Pentax quote a maximum of f/2.8 for the 1.7x AF Adapter, but in practice it works OK with f/4.5 and f/5.6 lenses with hardly any darkening on a K10D.

shim
Robin128
Posted 30/03/2009 - 15:04 Link
shim,

Thanks for reply and advice.

Do Pentax still make it, or should I get the Sigma?



Rob
K20D
MZ 50
Pentax lenses....DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM ....F 35-80 f4-5.6....DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3....F 100-300 f4.5-5.6, D FA Macro 100 WR f2.8.

Centon mirror lens 500mm.

Pentax Flash ....AF 360FGZ

JVC 3ccd GZ MC 500EK camcorder
shim
Posted 30/03/2009 - 20:04 Link
Robin128 wrote:
shim,

Thanks for reply and advice.

Do Pentax still make it, or should I get the Sigma?



Rob
Sadly no longer made. I'm sure they would sell well if they brought it back. I've no experience with the Sigma but it's been mentioned on here quite a bit.

shim
Robin128
Posted 30/03/2009 - 20:47 Link
Can anyone recommend which tc I should buy for my kit, please.

Rob
K20D
MZ 50
Pentax lenses....DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM ....F 35-80 f4-5.6....DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3....F 100-300 f4.5-5.6, D FA Macro 100 WR f2.8.

Centon mirror lens 500mm.

Pentax Flash ....AF 360FGZ

JVC 3ccd GZ MC 500EK camcorder
ttk
Posted 30/03/2009 - 20:57 Link
Robin128 wrote:
Can anyone recommend which tc I should buy for my kit, please.

Rob
Can I suggest you start a new topic about TC's you might get more info

As this is a K20D focus topic members won't look here
Tel,
Thordell
Posted 04/04/2009 - 20:39 Link
Well it wasn't the Bigma it was the operator as I suspected here are a couple I took today and although not pin sharp the are acceptably in focus, Phew what a relief all I have to do now is learn to get the best from the lens.

Thank you everyone who offered help and advice it is appreciated and I hope now I am confident in the lens I can start to get some better shots.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/Thordell/Wildlife/OneSparowinthehedge.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/Thordell/Wildlife/OneSparowinthehedgewithseed.jpg[/IMG]
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
ttk
Posted 04/04/2009 - 20:46 Link
Excellent stuff Jackie they look better, pleased your camera/lens are ok well done.
Tel,
Darkmunk
Posted 04/04/2009 - 20:48 Link
That first one is a great shot of a very common bird! I like the twigs and foliage. I suspect some will find them distracting.
Second one is a little sharp and I'm not so keen on the look of the creature.
You guys with your feeders in the way should take a look at this! Personally, I want to see birds flying or sitting somewhere natural, maybe I'm alone

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo