RUST on P30

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 29/01/2019 - 17:19
a latest 'Saved From The Dump' camera is a P30 with 2 lenses, one Pentax Zoom Takumar 'A' 28-80mm f3.5-4.5, one Vivitar Zoom 70-300mm f 4.2-5.8 , Cobra flash, Cobra Bag, Cokin and Jessop Filters BUT OH DEAR-- due to being 'in The Loft' for many years Camera is all Rusty along the back and the strap eyelits. I dumoed camera bag as it was filthy and torn , both lenses have FUNGUS and to get camera battery out I had to take off base-plate with JLS Screwdriver having put a minute amount of WD40 onto small rusty screw heads . I lubricated all the cogs and levers with minute amount of Sewing Machine oli, fitted fresh 1.5 V SR 44 batteries 'borrowed; from my 1970's KX and it 'creaked into Life ! '
Now I have the idea to emery paper off the RUST and paint on some black Chinese Lacquer that I have, but preliminary attempts with Emery paper have not taken off all the Rust. Any Advice ?

been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

jeallen01

Link Posted 29/01/2019 - 17:38
Try a Dremel-type tool with a fine wire-brush attachment then fine emery bands - but I suspect you will get through a "few" brushes and emergy bands before you get everything off.
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS

Algernon

Link Posted 29/01/2019 - 20:12
Such a cheap camera that it would be wiser to replace the whole thing.

There are rust converters that you can buy for guns and cars that help, but it's throwing good money after bad.

Dulux used to make a very good black paint that went on top of rust and it never came through again. Unfortunately it was so good that people only needed to buy it once so it was discontinued due to poor demand. I painted my shed hinges and locks with it about 15 years ago and they are still rust free

Hammerite paint might work.

Is it a made in China model?
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 29/01/2019 - 20:14

vic cross

Link Posted 30/01/2019 - 00:20
Don't laugh. Try Coca Cola. It takes rust off of machine tools but leaves a stain. The problem is it has to soak in it over night.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

PeterKR

Link Posted 30/01/2019 - 19:25
vic cross wrote:
Don't laugh. Try Coca Cola. It takes rust off of machine tools but leaves a stain. The problem is it has to soak in it over night.
CHEERS Vic.

NOTE: A quick word of WARNING !

Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid which is great for removing rust. (Phosphoric acid is also used on steel as a pretreatment before painting etc)

However, it also DISSOLVES Magnesium !

So be very careful if using is anywhere near any magnesium alloy bodies !

Peter

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 31/01/2019 - 21:03
Well, a friend told me about 'Hammerite Rust Removal Gel' from Halfords so I splashed out 5 odd and painted it on then after 'infusing' wiped it off as much as possible and painted on some black Chinese Lacquer. It look better. I then found that lenses were always 'stopped down' instead of being full aperture. I had a look and lubricated the moving ring inside the lens mount, then found the lever was stuck for the 'Depth of Field' so lubricated that and prised it up from stuck position. After working it lenses now 'Stop Down'. I also renewed light seal strips in camera back and P30 is very happy !
After Treatment Images attached

been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

johnriley

Link Posted 31/01/2019 - 23:18
You've made a great job of it.
Best regards, John

K10D

Link Posted 01/02/2019 - 07:28
It's personalised now Peter. Put some film through it.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 13:40
i have tested it with Real FILLUM ! -- i loaded some 2001 outdated Fuji Press 800 that i want to use up , rated it at 400 ASA on a Weston Meter as i had to use 'manual exposure' due to the DX Coding would set 800 ASA. Negs were 'Thin' -- needed 250 ASA I reckon, BUT although the 2 lenses included both had 'Fungus' starting results at full aperture were good under a x6 magnifier. I shot only from my font door in the COLD ! FLASH synch works OK .

Algernon

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 14:26
Good to hear Pete ....... now you can get back to your Leica M6

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 03/02/2019 - 11:59
Algernon wrote:
Good to hear Pete ....... now you can get back to your Leica M6

--

Ha ha !! I have the 'Gift' Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F to try out again first -- broken battery contact but I have my Weston Meters or 'guess' !!

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.