Rumoured 70-200mm f4

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 11:57
As far as I know there have been very very few problems with the 60-250mm SDM wise. Same can be said for the 55mm, 200mm and 300mm. The 16-50mm and 50-135mm (and to some extent the 17-70mm) are another matter though.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 11:58
There are new motors, still called SDM, but not related to the original motors. Things move on, just like SMC lens coatings would have changed over the years.
Best regards, John

Kim C

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 12:08
johnriley wrote:
There are new motors, still called SDM, but not related to the original motors. Things move on, just like SMC lens coatings would have changed over the years.

I agree John. They do change. And there have been fewer problems with the 60-250. Not sure if that is just as a percentage or because fewer were sold and so less reported. The mech in the 60-250 is different and the same change of code does not fully put the SDM to sleep and so in some areas they conflict. However there have been quite a few reported cases with it. More so than the 200 and 300. I suspect that may be because there is less strain on the motor in a fixed focal length design but I'm guessing on that part..

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 13:05
johnriley wrote:

Some of us are on our 3rd motors for our 16-50s John. Even the chap who fixed mine last time (Asahi Photo) said that even new batches contain duff motors and need to be sent back....

I have had a defective 60-250, replaced under warranty and has been fine since.... that one failed before my 16-50 failed for the first time.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

johnriley

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 13:48
I was really meaning the new motors fitted to new lenses such as the 50mm f/1.4, which are totally different to the original SDM designs.
Best regards, John

Kim C

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 13:53
ilovesaabs wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Some of us are on our 3rd motors for our 16-50s John. Even the chap who fixed mine last time (Asahi Photo) said that even new batches contain duff motors and need to be sent back....

I have had a defective 60-250, replaced under warranty and has been fine since.... that one failed before my 16-50 failed for the first time.

Both my 16-50 and 50-135 went to JP for new "supposedly" better improved motors when they failed. The 16-50 has failed again so I'm only on my second but rather than pay another £100 or so for the repair, it is now screwdrive on all the Pentax bodies. The 50-135 is still ok at the moment.

As many will know, I have been and will remain a long term fan of Pentax and now Ricoh. But at the same time, I also remain "realistic". The problem with that series of lenses is well documented on various sites. I do not "blame" Ricoh for not taking on legacy problems from the Pentax era but I do think it is wrong that such problems are denied when there is so much evidence from reputed sources. Having said that, many of the OEM makers are the same or at least no better or worse. Fuji with the XF1 lens problem is another. In some cases when asked for a warranty repair, they even tried to make out that is was accidental damage and charged for the repair. Ricoh/Pentax have repaired the lenses under warranty but most often it has failed just outside of warranty.

I do not believe it does anyone any good if such problems are "glossed" over because of brand loyalty.

johnriley

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 16:28
Nobody is glossing over past problems, but this is a thread about the new lens and the SDM issue has been discussed in depth already. All I am suggesting is that an SDM label on a new lens wouldn't put me off buying it as it's likely totally unrelated to the legacy issues.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Kim C

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 16:41
johnriley wrote:
Nobody is glossing over past problems, but this is a thread about the new lens and the SDM issue has been discussed in depth already. All I am suggesting is that an SDM label on a new lens wouldn't put me off buying it as it's likely totally unrelated to the legacy issues.

I fully agree John. That is why I would like to see a "new" lens and not a re-badged/re-worked 60-250.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 16/11/2018 - 21:13
Mike-P wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:
DA*60-250 f4 has one...

Could Pentax not re-engineer the internals of this lens, remove the baffle and update the focussing system to become a D-FA 60-250 f4? All K-mount fans would rejoice.

As much as I loved my 60-250mm f/4 I recently sold it as it wasn't getting any use with the K-1 (however I have started looking for another)

Saying that the one thing a 70-200mm f/4 would hopefully have over the 60-250mm is internal zoom.

Kim C wrote:
There is also the SDM issue.

What SDM issue?

you're looking for another 60-250 - can I help???
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 17/11/2018 - 18:28
Wey-Hay, I found my 70-210 f4 lurking in the bottom of the bag with my P50.
Thought "This is a bit of a lump".
Put it on the scale, converted to grams, came out at 725.86g - and that is with both caps, and a 58mm Hoya Skylight on.
Go plastic, rather than glass/metal and could be a nice basis for reworking. It even has a "macro" function - looks like about 1:1 at 15 inches, if you can call that macro!
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

ronniemac

Link Posted 18/11/2018 - 12:49
I would be seriously miffed if any of my original SDM lenses suffered from motor failure. I do sympathise with those who have had to put up with this, but to put things in perspective, all seven of them fail to disappoint.

I know that some day something will go wrong, but to date, none of my lens motors; DC, old SDM, new SDM or camera screw drive motors, have been problematic.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 06/11/2019 - 12:43
Nearly a year on and nothing so far. Here's hoping it's being developed and won't be too long. With my Irix 15mm and D FA 24-70mm all I need now is the WR 70-200mm to complete my all weather landscape kit
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

LennyBloke

Link Posted 06/11/2019 - 13:22
cardiffgareth wrote:
Nearly a year on and nothing so far. Here's hoping it's being developed and won't be too long. With my Irix 15mm and D FA 24-70mm all I need now is the WR 70-200mm to complete my all weather landscape kit

As you're probably aware the DA*60-250/4/0 is usable on Full Frame, is WR, constant f4.0 aperture and covers the 70-200 range (with room to spare) - and it's available now, often for very low prices second hand, and it's superb quality. It's still my goto lens for that sort of range

Having said that, I understand the frustration of such a long wait for an announced product. I'm itching for the D-FA*85/1.4 to be released, but I'm guessing that's still more than 6 months away
LennyBloke

Helpful

RobL

Link Posted 06/11/2019 - 14:23
When this was announced I thought it would be a lighter more manageable replacement for the DFA* 70-200 f2.8, but TBH I use this lens more than any other, itís sharp and renders colours beautifully. I also find once itís on the camera it stays there even though I have other lenses in the bag so itís for keeps. If the f4 is a good budget version I might be interested but not as a replacement.
Last Edited by RobL on 06/11/2019 - 14:24

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 06/11/2019 - 18:14
Thanks! I forgot about the 60-250mm which looks lighter and smaller than the 70-200mm f2.8 and also a hell of a lot cheaper!

When I've cleared off some of the outlay on the DFA 24-70 I think I'll look to grab one of them and sell my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.