Link Posted 31/12/2021 - 11:10
Wow, very interesting.

Summary: there will be six different versions of the K-3 III:

jet black finish
a version with a modified shutter release button
a monochrome model
a gunmetal version
and an Astro model

I loved the look of the original K-3 prestige in gunmetal grey, if I ever get a K-3 III then I'd love it to be that. Not sure what modification they want to make to the shutter button...
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/12/2021 - 12:09
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Not sure what modification they want to make to the shutter button...

On the left hand side for left handed people?

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 31/12/2021 - 15:36
It really is frustrating that Ricoh are obsessed with special editions and developing niche versions of cameras with an already tiny market share. The news that an updated full frame is unlikely but there might be lower spec versions is also filling me with despair, they donít need to change the prism as suggested but just bring in the autofocus improvements from the K3.III and increase the megapixel count to around 45. Surely those could be done without altering the body much but neither is on the agenda. Sadly if my K1 fails I will have to look elsewhere for replacement. How do we make our views known to the management at Pentax?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/01/2022 - 10:31
RobL wrote:
How do we make our views known to the management at Pentax?

With our wallets.

I like the special editions, some of them look good and I think they raise awareness of the brand.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Lubbyman

Link Posted 01/01/2022 - 10:55
RobL wrote:
just bring in the autofocus improvements from the K3.III and increase the megapixel count to around 45. Surely those could be done without altering the body much

The body wouldn't need to be altered but the software would and the electronics hardware probably would. Is the current processsor and associated gubbins up to the job of dealing with the increased data from more pixels? Does the current sensor shift mechanism have the precision needed for a higher pixel density? etc. etc. etc. That's where most time and cost goes when developing a complicated bit of electronics, the box it's in is relatively cheap to develop.

Steve

pentaxian450

Link Posted 02/01/2022 - 23:08
Lubbyman wrote:
RobL wrote:
just bring in the autofocus improvements from the K3.III and increase the megapixel count to around 45. Surely those could be done without altering the body much

The body wouldn't need to be altered but the software would and the electronics hardware probably would. Is the current processsor and associated gubbins up to the job of dealing with the increased data from more pixels? Does the current sensor shift mechanism have the precision needed for a higher pixel density? etc. etc. etc. That's where most time and cost goes when developing a complicated bit of electronics, the box it's in is relatively cheap to develop.

Steve

The buffer of the K-3 III would also need to be improved. As it is right now, it's nothing to write home about...
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.