ruddy Flickr awards: rant
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:37 - Helpful Comment
Link
Nah it's just a community where being popular is more important then taking good photos, it's always a problem with such sites.
I think red bubble isn't that bad though but I never almost hang out there so could be wrong.
I think red bubble isn't that bad though but I never almost hang out there so could be wrong.
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:40
Link
Stefan, I marked your post as helpful. The closest I get to awarding you a 50x100 pixel icon.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:44 - Helpful Comment
Link
I sometimes get those admirers who find it their mission on earth to praise or invite me over to their group. The worst are the ones who accompany their message with 400px wide(or bigger) avatars measuring up their ego.
I always delete their post and block them. Darwinism....I know, but after a few, they get the message.
I always delete their post and block them. Darwinism....I know, but after a few, they get the message.
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:48
Link
Martin, I'm sorry but I marked your post as helpful too. As soon as I get my Slurtax (slurry and pentax) award avatar up and running I'll pop it in the recycle bin for you.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 03/05/2010 - 23:09 - Helpful Comment
Link
Thank you for the awful green award Doug
BtW the best thing is you can make the award avatar 600px wide here
dougf8 wrote:
Slurtax (slurry and pentax) award avatar up and running
Did you know we got some thing called the slurptax here, it's a taxation that's relative to how green a car runs Slurtax (slurry and pentax) award avatar up and running
BtW the best thing is you can make the award avatar 600px wide here
Posted 04/05/2010 - 09:40 - Helpful Comment
Link
Just found out I still have a Flickr account, it was a bugger to get too it though!
When opened the site was still 'independent', now I have to remember an email account I don't want/use to access the site.
Daft or what?
When opened the site was still 'independent', now I have to remember an email account I don't want/use to access the site.
Daft or what?
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 04/05/2010 - 12:23 - Helpful Comment
Link
I've signed up two flickr accounts as it seems to be a bit more highly regarded than Photobucket (which I've never had any trouble with beyond having to use the Bulk Uploader all the time as their pages don't work properly with Linux). Unfortunately I've managed to forget all the login details on both occasions!
I will try again sometime and make a note of the details on paper. Does their photo uploading process work fully with Linux?
I will try again sometime and make a note of the details on paper. Does their photo uploading process work fully with Linux?
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 04/05/2010 - 12:58 - Helpful Comment
Link
Quote:
I will try again sometime and make a note of the details on paper. Does their photo uploading process work fully with Linux?
It does. If you use their basic default up-loader. Why wouldn't it?I will try again sometime and make a note of the details on paper. Does their photo uploading process work fully with Linux?
Ubuntu Linux also provides a standalone up-loader for Flickr, found in the software centre on your OS.
Posted 04/05/2010 - 14:13 - Helpful Comment
Link
Once of the nice things about Flickr is that because it is the big dog many software packages (Lightroom, Aperture, iPhoto, etc) have uploader plugins for it, so you can upload from within your app.
Yes, the flashing Flickr awards are irritating, but if you want the exposure from being Explored you unfortunately have to play the game.
Yes, the flashing Flickr awards are irritating, but if you want the exposure from being Explored you unfortunately have to play the game.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 04/05/2010 - 17:58 - Helpful Comment
Link
I've no idea why Photobucket's default uploader won't work in Ubuntu, but it just whirrs a bit and doesn't do anything. It works if I use the bulk uploader function though!
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 06/05/2010 - 19:48 - Helpful Comment
Link
I have found a similar level of mutual backslapping going on on a well known photography magazine website where everyone gets five stars irrespective of the quality of the picture. The only variable seems to be how many five star comments you get. This seems to be directly proprtional to the number and frequency of ones given. It also seems that the more manipulation you do the more likely you are to get comments with Topaz being almost obligatory. The result is loads of people drooling over over-processed and very noisy dayglo skies and weird spotty landscapes that most people on here would be ashamed to own up to taking. In mitigation there are some very talented people on there but it makes you wonder why they bother.
Anyway rant over! Meanwhile on Flickr I have just been awarded Beautiful Shot Of The World (twice) so I am off to admire the half page pictures of plastic globes that I have won..........
Anyway rant over! Meanwhile on Flickr I have just been awarded Beautiful Shot Of The World (twice) so I am off to admire the half page pictures of plastic globes that I have won..........
Posted 06/05/2010 - 20:14
Link
Thank you all wonderful people. Award you all seasick green helpful shading.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 06/05/2010 - 20:24 - Helpful Comment
Link
Doug, you're falling out of tone now, can't you make your own comments green as well?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



2917 posts
17 years
another place
I follow a few people on flickr. And it sticks in my craw when they post a mediocre image and then they get a flurry (= flickr & slurry) of meaningless awards.
Also is it me or is the worth of the award/comment inversely proportional to the size it takes up.
Also, also "post one award twelve" or the like. Pyramid awarding and back slapping.
Rant off:
I'm probably just jealous.