Ricoh buyout

Froggy

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 14:11
I recently overhead a conversation in my local phot dealer the gist of which was :
'Ricoh bought Pentax in order to get its hands on its profitable spectacle lens side of the business. The camera division has been given just one year to make a profit. It is this uncertainty that has caused many retailers to stop stocking Pentax gear.'

Has anyone else heard anything like this? Should Pentax users be concened?

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 14:29
I thought Ricoh only bought the camera side of things?

johnriley

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 14:32
So did I Gwyn. Some (not all) sales people just might use a tale like that to steer a purchaser in a different direction.
Best regards, John

nass

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 14:45
News to me too, seems like salesman rubbish
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

tyronet2000

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 15:03
I don't listen to gossip if it's not in the Daily Mail or Sun it can't be true but, nothing surprises me in these uncertain times. Larger concerns than Pentax have gone "overnight".
Regards
Stan

PPG

grahamwalton

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 15:06
It is unlikely that Hoya, who have made spectacle lenses for years, would sell some of their spectacle lens business, ie Pentax to Ricoh.
Friendly Regards
Graham

Joe S

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 16:31
There's no end to what kind of silliness those shop assistants can come up with, so I have basicly stopped listening!

Now, how would he know? It would be extremely stupid for Ricoh to communicate something like that outwards - how would they expect people (customers, retailers) not running away?! So unless he have a mole in the HQ in Japan I doubt he know anything. On the other hand Ricoh have explicitly communicated that they wanted the camera division - which makes sense, looking at what kind of company they are know, whereas spectacles does not fit in.

One thing, though! It is very unfortunate for Pentax to be bought by Hoya to be put on the shelf for a couple of years and then sold on to another company. I think, it is a fact that it causes uncertainty for us, the users, as well as people in retail and employees in factories, HQ. I consider myself a "shareholder" in Pentax, I have invested quite a few money in gear now and it is in my interest to know what is going on strategically. I don't know if it is a cultural thing but I wonder why those Japanese companies are so reluctant to communicate with their customers.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

japers45

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 16:47
I'm not sure about Hoya leaving Pentax "on the shelf".During their tenure the K5 was released. Without the K5 I would have bought a D7000.

Algernon

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:01
I've written on here before about this, but it seems people
have similar memories to goldfish

Specsavers in the UK own the right to use the Pentax name on
any spectacle lenses that they want to..... they could be
manufactured by any company that Specsavers want to
buy from
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Joe S

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:02
You can thank Sony and their excellent sensor for that!

Hoya put a lot of energy into cost reducing initiatives but apart from that, I seriously think they did the absolute least they had to do if they wanted to keep Pentax floating. But that's another story, and I am happy that Ricoh have taken control.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

japers45

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 17:18
Well there it is then- salesman talking utter codswallop.

I think Pentax need to offer an incentive to these idiots to prevent them slating the brand. In a former life I worked for Comet and it was common practice to sell whatever earned you the most money- sometimes Sony would get a deal with Comet and if you sold a Sony TV you would get 10 per telly- for a Panasonic, Philips etc you might get 2. Sony was suddenly the top seller by a mile, salesman enthusiastically waxing about the better picture quality, the superior engineering and then basically explaining "on the QT" that the other brands were not in the same league.

I reckon Jessops would be the place to start, they seem to employ the kind of people who this would appeal to and have lots of branches.

dougf8

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 18:14
Algernon wrote:
I've written on here before about this, but it seems people
have similar memories to goldfish

buy from

What? Even Zeiss, Rodenstock and Nikon lenses, to name but three?

My detector is going off .....
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 17/11/2011 - 18:15

petrochemist

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 18:36
dougf8 wrote:
Algernon wrote:

buy from

You have a faulty detector then
Having the right to use a brand with a product doesn't mean you have to, if another better seen brand is appropriate you'd generally use that.

IIRC Hoya were interested in Pentax's medical imagery business not camera side of Pentax when they brought them. The press releases I've seen indicated it was always their intention to sell off the cameras, which they have now done to Rioch who were after the cameras side of the business. It's quite common to buy companies for a part of their business portfolio & to then sell the remainder - this may be nothing to do with the profitability of either section & usually is more to do with how that section meshes with their own portfolio.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio

Algernon

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 19:54
dougf8 wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Algernon"]

Specsavers have actually sold Zeiss lenses with the Pentax name on them, but it's usually more budget stuff.

There was a tie up between the original Pentax and Zeiss for many years on the opticians side and a company called Pentax Carl Zeiss. Most of the Pentax Japan stuff was re-branded as Seiko in recent years.

Some info here: link
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

dougf8

Link Posted 17/11/2011 - 20:31
I think I'm missing the point and can't see anything to back up the claims.

A mention of Pentax Carl Zeiss from 1976 doesn't fill me with confidence that Specsavers in Falmouth will be fitting a Nikon/Rodenstock/Zeiss lens and calling it a Pentax!

Got anything from the last 5 years?

I'll pop my head in and ask next time I'm passing.
Lurking is shirking.!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.