reviews and video settings.

Don

Link Posted 28/10/2019 - 23:11
alfpics wrote:
IIRC Pentax was sort of ahead of the game once with the K20D; it was one of the first DSLRs that could sort of do video albeit at only 14 fps...

Pentax missed three very important opportunities with video...
Q, 645d, and k01....
the Q would be a direct competitor to the action cam sector with a few accessories and better video specs go pro competitor with interchangeable lenses.

645d would right up there with Arri, RED and the likes with a 70mmm film equivalent sensor... (arri Alexa 65)

k01 would be a direct competitor with Black Magic Designs but a larger sensor...

in all cases the fact that there competitors out there shooting pro video in each class means Pentax had a chance to gather market share with three models with serious video... they chose to be blind to the market.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

richandfleur

Link Posted 28/10/2019 - 23:58
RobL wrote:

Actually there is a lot more to it, not all cameras perform equally well in stills either; if it is video you want then look elsewhere BUT if you want the best rendered landscape shots, astrophotography, buildings and interiors you would be hard pressed to beat the K1. Instead of complaining about Pentax video why not complain about how other manufacturers don't have the features that shifting the sensor brings that are unique to Pentax? The argument is exactly the same. For some reason I have seen several YouTubers recently complaining about how they miss IBIS when they switch from mirrorless to DSLR but as we know the K1 gives the best of both for low light shots. These are the reasons reviews are generally meaningless unless they are targeted at a particular field.

No necessarily disagreeing with you here, just explaining why the camera reviews as it does. The K-1 is in a market with other cameras, it doesn't in isolation, and all other cameras perform better with regards to video, so that's why the reviews include it and that's why Pentax performs so poorly in the review system.

Of course Pentax has strengths, but just answering the OPs question.

(Slight deviation, but Pentax doesn't activate it's IBIS during video recording, not since the K-5 series. So whilst it does have it, and is one of / the only DSLR brand to feature this, again it doesn't work in video mode, like focus peaking or autofocus when actually recording.)

richandfleur

Link Posted 29/10/2019 - 00:07
alfpics wrote:
IIRC Pentax was sort of ahead of the game once with the K20D; it was one of the first DSLRs that could sort of do video albeit at only 14 fps...

Yeah they were totally up there back in the day and then just went nowhere after 2012, (which is of course around when Ricoh came on the scene).
Film Riot is a pretty major youtube channel now and they've been around for quite some time. If we take a trip down memory lane to April 2010, they reviewed the Pentax K-7 and had good things to say about it.

Can't change what's in the past though unfortunately, but can hopefully influence the future.

Don

Link Posted 01/11/2019 - 12:55
People canít afford to buy two separate systems.
One for photos and one for video. Too costly.
Consumer demand is for devices that... like smartphones can do both. Equally well.
Companies like canon are hurting because they offer to much diversity in their product lines and every new model winds up cutting into other products sales .
Companies like Fuji Oly and Panasonic are fairing better because they can throw as many features into their products without have to compete or gut sales from another one of their own models or divisions.
Future for d-slrs is going to be a very small number of companies with very limited products and consumers will likely look for ďeverything but the kitchen sinkĒ feature list...
Because ďmore megapickles ď to a person who doesnít want to have to buy a more powerful computer to edit on, isnít gonna sway the sale as much as ďoh it does great video and live streams too?Ē
link
Last Edited by Don on 01/11/2019 - 12:56

cedricd

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 19:17
My twopeneth in here, Pentax need to hit the big market figures where wealth is growing. China, India etc. They need to be hitting huge numbers not necessarily with cameras but sport optics too.

Acceptable video quality is part of this, like it or not it`s what a huge number of purchasers go for and with the wonderful array of glass produced over the years Ricoh could be missing a trick. I just can`t hump a DSLR around all day, nowadays my go too is a Leica C Lux which is very ample for this person`s needs. I can switch to video quality and back to stills and the results for me are very pleasing. Don`t think I have a downer on Pentax, I was weaned on their kit but IMHO they look like they are pointing a loaded gun at their own feet. I do hope I wrong.
Enjoy life

pschlute

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 19:59
cedricd wrote:
My twopeneth in here, Pentax need to hit the big market figures where wealth is growing. China, India etc. They need to be hitting huge numbers not necessarily with cameras but sport optics too.

"Hitting big market figures where wealth is growing" is a nice catchphrase but do you realise no-one is making money in DSLR/mirrorless sales at the moment ? Phone cameras are where it is at.

"Huge numbers" sounds a great phrase too. Keep them coming
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 20:59
Don wrote:

Consumer demand is for devices that... like smartphones can do both. Equally well.

If you really believe that is true why not manage with just one of those then and ditch the Pentax and Sony?
IMHO smartphones don't do either very well. I'm not aware of any with a 35x24 or larger sensor and a quality range of interchangeable lenses to go with it.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 11/11/2019 - 20:59

Don

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 17:00
JAK wrote:

"If you really believe...."
"IMHO smartphones don't do either very well."...
" I'm not aware of "....

So your beliefs and opinions are based on what you're "not aware of.... "... lol!
do some research... I have done mine....
sales of smartphones are gutting camera sales of all types in the mass consumer market...
companies like canon and Sony are seeing d-slr sales plummet as consumers in the prosumer markets switch to mirrorless.... and pro's are losing markets and profitability to prosumers with less expensive gear across the board leading to a shift in lower demand for pro camera gear...

link
link
link
canon blames smartphones
Quote:
So Canon definitely needs to step up. Their current mirrorless offerings arenít good enough for many pros but arenít cheap enough for many enthusiasts. But itís always the competitionís fault. Or smartphones. At least, according to Canon.

as far as full frame d-slrs competing against mirrorless is concerned... all Pentax's competition in the pro level market are offering pro video specs, leaving Pentax to be slow at delivering one wheeled motorcycles to the market as they ignore video meaning they're offering HALF the features of their competitors.
what's the market share for one wheeled motorcycles these days?
Last Edited by Don on 12/11/2019 - 17:03

JAK

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 17:14
Don wrote:
JAK wrote:

" I'm not aware of "....

So your beliefs and opinions are based on what you're "not aware of.... "... lol!
sales of smartphones are gutting camera sales of all types in the mass consumer market...
companies like canon and Sony are seeing d-slr sales plummet as consumers in the prosumer markets switch to mirrorless.... and pro's are losing markets and profitability to prosumers with less expensive gear across the board leading to a shift in lower demand for pro camera gear...

link
link
link
canon blames smartphones

So why didn't you opt for that iphone you linked to in preference to that Sony you recently obtained? Think of all the size and weight you wouldn't have to carry. In any event a grand is a lot to spend on an a product you may not like or have much use for and that will be superseded within 12 months. At least Pentax have a longer 'shelf' life.
Thank goodness we're not being continually bombarded with new super updated models every few months because Google or Apple have revised their operating system for the umpteenth time. Why can't they get it right first time? Re that Huawei, you'd be pretty stuck with one of those.
I've seen the adverts and reviews, LOL, No thank you. Horrible.

Surely anyone using phone for photography must have experienced it wanting to update its apps and/or OS leaving you with a something that won't be ready to use for thirty minutes or more. Ugh at the thought of it. Not really a solution at all unless you believe all the hype but it seems many do. I don't recall my ME and MX ever requiring a firmware update. But the latest phones will be on the scrapheap in no time at all.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/11/2019 - 17:46

Don

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 22:30
JAK wrote:
Don wrote:
Quote:

" I'm not aware of "....

link
link
link
canon blames smartphones

So why didn't you opt for that iphone you linked to in preference to that Sony you recently obtained? Think of all the size and weight you wouldn't have to carry. In any event a grand is a lot to spend on an a product you may not like or have much use for and that will be superseded within 12 months. At least Pentax have a longer 'shelf' life.
Thank goodness we're not being continually bombarded with new super updated models every few months because Google or Apple have revised their operating system for the umpteenth time. Why can't they get it right first time? Re that Huawei, you'd be pretty stuck with one of those.
I've seen the adverts and reviews, LOL, No thank you. Horrible.

Surely anyone using phone for photography must have experienced it wanting to update its apps and/or OS leaving you with a something that won't be ready to use for thirty minutes or more. Ugh at the thought of it. Not really a solution at all unless you believe all the hype but it seems many do. I don't recall my ME and MX ever requiring a firmware update. But the latest phones will be on the scrapheap in no time at all.

I most certainly do use an iPhone for some of my pro work.... the thing about all the cameras I own that shoot stills is this: EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM does stills as well as video equally well EXCEPT the Pentax system..
the only cameras I REGRET buying are the Pentaxes because Pentax is the only manufacturer that deliberately forced me to go out and buy all the same lenses and accessories for a new system from their competitor....
in many situations where I shoot both stills and video, if I have to leave anything behind it's the Pentax that winds up collecting dust because every other camera has dual uses.... why would I want to lug a d-slr and lenses and flash units around and then have to pack a mirrorless with ALL the same focal length lenses to switch to video when the mirrorless shoots both stills and video...
even my pro camcorder that doesn't shoot stills, I can justify carrying it becuase none of the other cameras can be set up to record for six straight hours when needed... and the occasional 4k screen grab can be tossed in to a video slideshow of stills and no one will even notice it came from a camcorder... and it does dual purpose on pro sound and can replace or work with the separate audio recorders and pro microphones.
every camera has things it does particularly well and some cameras are chosen for certain tasks for good reasons... but as I've said before.... the only thing my Pentax does that the sony mirrorless can't do is be used to hammer in tent pegs while camping becuase I don't care if it gets damaged!

and any time it's not being used for phone or camera duties... the iPhone again can be used as an audio recorder, editor an publisher as well as remote control for all the other cameras except for...you guessed it.. the Pentax k3.... so it's a Swiss army knife tool on set for me...
Last Edited by Don on 12/11/2019 - 22:36

JAK

Link Posted 13/11/2019 - 21:36
Don wrote:
I most certainly do use an iPhone for some of my pro work.... the thing about all the cameras I own that shoot stills is this: EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM does stills as well as video equally well EXCEPT the Pentax system..

Your Pentax(s) is/are what they are. If you don't like them simply move them on. QED.
And I've just seen the price for a second had Sony A7R IV. I can buy three K-1s for the cost of that. Horses for courses. Pay three times the price for a video facility I've no requirement for. Why?
I know it suits you, but Pentax suits others who have no requirement for video.

I can even buy another K-1 for the cost of an iphone. But I don't want a phone which will be past its shelf life this time next year.

Would I want a K-1 with great video at £3K, the price of that Sony? Certainly not. Too expensive, but maybe you would.

Anyone buying a Pentax for its video capabilities is buying the wrong camera, but you know that yet bought one anyhow! What more can anyone say?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 13/11/2019 - 21:55

Don

Link Posted 13/11/2019 - 22:09
Quote:
Anyone buying a Pentax for its video capabilities is buying the wrong camera, but you know that yet bought one anyhow! What more can anyone say?

that was the trapping of having been loyal customer for decades, being tied to a dying brand.....
and in the not too distant future, more people will probably find themselves in the same boat....
stuck with worthless older items and forced into a new system anyways whether they want to or not.

When I bought the k3, I knew better than to buy anymore lenses, and started saving for the inevitable switch, when the k1 came out... I opted not to buy in.... the transition from Titanic to lifeboat to the Carpathia was planned. I stopped listening to the people who said "This ship is unsinkable" before it sank.
have a nice swim.

pschlute

Link Posted 14/11/2019 - 02:16
Don, I understand you do not like the Pentax brand anymore. But there are a number of us on this, a Pentax user site who do.

You continued posting is very tiresome. Why do you not find a forum to post on where you can talk about the products you use and spare the rest of us your moans please.
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 14/11/2019 - 11:36
Choice is a great thing. It would be sad if any of the camera brands went under. When the K-1 came out DPR reviewed it concluding
Quote:
The Pentax K-1 is Ricoh's flagship full-frame DSLR. It offers a wide range of features for a modest price of just under $1800. The K-1 provides flashes of Pentax's past with its unique styling, while still offering the functionality and performance of modern day full frame DSLRs. The AF system has seen an upgrade from the K3 II and the Pixel Shift Resolution technology now offers a Motion Correction setting.

The K-1 also offers some of best dynamic range on the market (falling just short of the Nikon D810 at base ISO) and the image quality is some of the best offered at this price point even before implementing the Pixel Shift shooting modes.

Now if this wasn't PU I could quote some reviews of the Sony suggesting it is somewhat flawed in various ways including items you criticize Pentax for, and that for a camera three times the price of the Pentax. So come on Don, enough's enough. Why not go and upset a Sony forum by saying how much you prefer your Pentax(s). I wouldn't put that past you!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 14/11/2019 - 11:43

Don

Link Posted 14/11/2019 - 20:35
14 years and 6000+++ posts earns me the right to have an opinion, even if a few stubborn mules don't want to hear it.

going back to 2005 I predicted the rise of video and stills convergence and started giving Pentax feed back on where the future was going...
post from 29005
Quote:
I transfer images into a folder on my desktop (card readers in my epson proofing printers, and cameras allow up to 5 memory cards to be downloaded simultaniously to my Imac.), batch rename and burn that folder to dvd rw.
then run photo reviewer to reject duds.
Automator actions (mac program- to die for) takes over from here.
I-photo on my networked Emac imports the photos, sorts them, lays out web page and updates my private section of my web page, and burns a disc of html files for customer to proof)
My imac then launches PS to batch process the images and import them into Iphoto , then Iphoto is used to sort images and send to Idvd, when customer gets back on thier choices the idvd project is edited and burned.
We'll be adding hd video to the mix next year and I movie will be incorporated.
We have a 1 day turnaround on the proofs, and have to get things right in camera and be quick about it.
print orders are taken and only images chosen for print are carefully edited for printing. (usually these were portraits shot raw/adobe rgb).

Customer walks away with dvd album, html cd for sharing, and enlargements for wall/albums. I archive copies for safe keeping.
Raw workflow is too slow, and Idvd can't use any other colorspace than srgb.

Maybe apples aperture will change everything for us...we'll let you know.

I was the first in my area to go full digital.
I was first in my area to go full multimedia.
I've always been able to predict future trends and be ahead of the curve.
decades go by and I realized I had invested far too much time and money into a brand that lacks vision and listens to people that are afraid to look ahead.

quoting myself from this forum from 2006, and as early as 2006 I saw the convergence coming:
Quote:
Don wrote:
My personal viewpoint on minolta is that they bet the farm on aps and lost.
minolta is not truly gone, just owned by sony....the factory, like the land of a conquered nation, is still there, just flying a different flag.
I wonder if still and video will one day merge and ALL slrs wil be obsolete...
can an interchangable lens, 8 mp hdd 100gig hd camcorder be that far off in the future? I'm constantly pushing my significant other to integrate more and more multimedia into her business. As the ability to combine dvd video, web, print, and music into one package is very apealing to consumers in our market area.

so it's not like I'm saying anything new on the subject, only now... I no longer promote the brand as it's a proven bad investment long term.
the problem was I got tied into the brand and had too much invested by the time Pentax showed it was unwilling to go where the market was heading. I had started buying Pentax in the 80's. back in the 80's & 90's Pentax's BACKWARD compatibility was a good thing... but in 2019 Pentax's LACK of current technology is VERY BAD FOR BUSINESS.
Last Edited by Don on 14/11/2019 - 20:46
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.