Repairs to non digital Pentax models

lensman2014

Link Posted 24/11/2014 - 14:11
After experiencing a minor problem with my K10D, I have been pointed to a possible repairer of all things film cameras, including medium format.
Useful to know if I ever come across a classic Pentax film camera, and I've had a couple in the last 12 to 15 years.

If you've never heard of them before, here's the link to their website:
http://harrowtechnical.co.uk

Stanovich

Link Posted 25/11/2014 - 19:40
They did an excellent job on my ME Super a couple of years ago - full service, replaced the seals etc., and removed some gunge off the focusing screen. Just under £50. I'd certainly recommend them.
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/11/2014 - 20:02
I have been recommending Alan on here for years ... still waiting for my discount for doing so though.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

womble

Link Posted 25/11/2014 - 22:20
Mike-P wrote:
I have been recommending Alan on here for years ... still waiting for my discount for doing so though.

Alan? Robin... or are you thinking of A M Technical?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/11/2014 - 22:22
womble wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

Alan? Robin... or are you thinking of A M Technical?

See, I even recommended him in a post that was nothing to do with him. That will teach me to read posts properly before opening my mouth won't it

Cheers Kris
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 25/11/2014 - 22:25

womble

Link Posted 25/11/2014 - 22:51
Both Robin and Alan are stars, as is Eric Hendrickson in the US.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 25/11/2014 - 22:52

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 26/11/2014 - 00:42
womble wrote:
Both Robin and Alan are stars, as is Eric Hendrickson in the US.

We are truly blessed to have these resources.
Please support them so we can remain happy Pentax users into the future!

Chris
Bring back the latent image!

womble

Link Posted 26/11/2014 - 09:07
All three have certainly seen my business over the years!
Kris Lockyear

My website

co049

Link Posted 19/01/2015 - 12:21
Looks like I'll have to send my MX off to Robin at Harrow, it packed in at the weekend. In the cold the mirror fails to return after the exposure is made, the problem is worse around 1/60 and not as bad at 1/1000.

First issues I've had with it in 35 years.
Chris,

Pentax K3, MX-1.
Pentax LX, Pentax MX, Pentax ME Super & Pentax MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

johnriley

Link Posted 19/01/2015 - 13:03
Maybe it's too cold for the camera and that's all that's wrong. I have a feeling they are rated to operate from 0C to 50C, and the lubricants probably haven't been replaced for many years. Is it OK when warmed up?

Mechanical cameras used to be sent to be "winterised" when sub zero climes were to be visited. This involved replacing all the lubricants with a different grade.
Best regards, John

co049

Link Posted 19/01/2015 - 13:40
johnriley wrote:
Maybe it's too cold for the camera and that's all that's wrong. I have a feeling they are rated to operate from 0C to 50C, and the lubricants probably haven't been replaced for many years. Is it OK when warmed up?

Mechanical cameras used to be sent to be "winterised" when sub zero climes were to be visited. This involved replacing all the lubricants with a different grade.

It was better when warmed up to room temp but, it was still locking up at 1/60 every 20 to 30 shots?
Chris,

Pentax K3, MX-1.

johnriley

Link Posted 19/01/2015 - 13:59
Maybe a general service is due then?
Best regards, John

co049

Link Posted 19/01/2015 - 15:35
johnriley wrote:
Maybe a general service is due then?

It had a service about 3 years ago at Harrow.

May be it needs a bit of adjustment for wear etc then.
Chris,

Pentax K3, MX-1.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.