Going back to my roots: the humble MV


lxmike

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 20:24
Last year after much deliberation I had to sell beloved pair of LX and various SMC M lenses, this was very reluctant, most of the cash went into my sons 'university rent and car fund', I also managed to buy a Fuji x100 second hand for £250, for old time sake I kept my pentax MX with 40mm 2.8, (I could never part with that), anyway I digress, my first SLR camera was bought in 1980 for me by my parents, a humble Pentax MV, I loved it, it represented quite a lay out for my parents as we were anything but rich, I loved that camera and it started my love of pentax, I must have put hundreds of rolls through it and then one day I regrettably part exed it (big regret) Anyway I am now the proud owner of a mint boxed fully working with strap and instructions all for the princely sum of £21 (ebay). So its back to my roots, as I sit with the MV next to me memories flood back, back in 1981 budget cameras such as the OM10, nikon EM and even the Chinon CE5 seemed more glamorous (to some) after all they could take a winder drive etc. I liked the simplicity of the MV, I still do now, not only did I learn with this camera, I grew with it, now what I forgot about using this is the uncluttered nature of the viewfinder, no aperture information, no shutter seed indication just a simple traffic light led at the side, simply beautiful, really nice for framing. I found back in 1980 that the humble MV was still a capable beast, today it gets over looked in this digital age as do a lot of other film cameras, but for £21 I cannot complain about grabbing a mint example of my first 'slr'. Sorry if I have rambled on, oh I almost forgot not only did I grab the MV body for £21 it came witha mint 50mm SMC M too
Last Edited by lxmike on 06/01/2015 - 20:30

laurencea

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 20:34
nice one!

i still can't resist a bargain on ebay - hence the box of 8 pentax slr's that arrived last week! there is also something magical about holding a film camera after so many years away.

enjoy your baby
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.

lxmike

Link Posted 06/01/2015 - 20:46
laurencea wrote:
nice one!

i still can't resist a bargain on ebay - hence the box of 8 pentax slr's that arrived last week! there is also something magical about holding a film camera after so many years away.

enjoy your baby

many thanks, its magical grabbing a bargain that can take you back all those years, happy memories, may l ask what were the 8 slrs you grabbed

laurencea

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 22:20
they were - ME, MG, P30t, P50, MX, SF7, SFX and another SF7. the MG looks to be broken, although it works in 1/100 mode. the SFs are awaiting a battery to see if they work. there was also other bits and pieces. the ME and MX will be taken out soon to snap again.

just need a medium format Pentax now.
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.

doingthebobs

Link Posted 07/01/2015 - 23:24
Trouble is, once you start it's hard to stop.........






and there are several more boxes........
Bob

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 08/01/2015 - 10:54
I did something similar and bought a mint, boxed Spotmatic F complete with original receipt for £29.00
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

lxmike

Link Posted 09/01/2015 - 22:35
laurencea wrote:
they were - ME, MG, P30t, P50, MX, SF7, SFX and another SF7. the MG looks to be broken, although it works in 1/100 mode. the SFs are awaiting a battery to see if they work. there was also other bits and pieces. the ME and MX will be taken out soon to snap again.

just need a medium format Pentax now.

me too, l have a bronica but would love a pentax 645

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 09/01/2015 - 23:09
Just generally questioning...

Drop me a note and/or message here on what type of dslr bodies (even medium format) one is looking for. I've personally "ran across" three Pentax used medium format bodies within about the last month or so.

Two of the used were both mint condition Pentax 645d's; the third was an "almost new" Pentax 645 with about only about two hundred pics on it - through an estate sale. The Z sold for less than one half of it's new listing price

laurencea

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 13:19
50mpCMOS wrote:
Just generally questioning...

Drop me a note and/or message here on what type of dslr bodies (even medium format) one is looking for. I've personally "ran across" three Pentax used medium format bodies within about the last month or so.

Two of the used were both mint condition Pentax 645d's; the third was an "almost new" Pentax 645 with about only about two hundred pics on it - through an estate sale. The Z sold for less than one half of it's new listing price

i'm not really up on Pentax medium format film cameras - generally i use old TLRs for medium format. i would love a Pentax medium format film camera though, just can't afford one (i tend to set a limit of £75 for ebay/2nd hand camera purchases). i should read up a bit more.

i have just bought a ME Super on ebay! i should stop buying film cameras, but they are just so nice!
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 10/01/2015 - 23:20
[quote][i should stop buying film cameras, but they are just so nice!/quote]

I agree.

The quality of film cameras such as the Pentax LX or some of the Ricoh models is simply incredible; the Nikon f5 and F6 could also be added to that list.

Even the 80's generation Pentax glass is remarkable. I've very surprised that not more Pentax glass isn't upgraded from 80's benchmarks and specs, then added to with AF and a few more bells and whistles
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.